1DX II dance school mini documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1DX II dance school mini documentary

This summer I was hired to make a mini documentary promo video for a dance school.

Shot almost entirely on the 1DX II:

The interviews and B-Roll footage were done with the 1DX II on a monopod, using the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. Audio was all with a boom microphone (Sennheiser MKH 50) into a Zoom F8. There is one B-Roll shot in there that was done with a Nexus 6P phone because the client had it from before and wanted it in there (see if you can spot it!) and the footage of the stage performances was mostly shot on Canon C100 and Panasonic GH4 & GH3 cameras. Edited in Premiere Pro on Windows 10.

The shoot was fast paced, with little time for setup around the kids' rehearsals. We had zero control over the lighting, and the studios all had a combination of yucky fluorescent lighting, incandescent bulbs and skylights! I think it's a testament to the camera that it got nice looking footage with such poor lighting conditions.

Let me know what you think!
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Anyone? Bueller? ;)
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Sharing work we do is like what used to happen on DVXuser more.
      I liked it. Pretty cool they use live music. You captured the spirit of the studio and the viewer comes away feeling positive about it. I kept wanting to see actual show footage and then at the end you closed it with some which I think worked well as it was the end result of all the prep and work build up. As far as lighting yeah I noticed the floursescent color in some shots. I actually didn't read your post until I watched the video. Thanks again for sharing

Comment

Not bad considering the conditions and the mixture of cameras.

I would go a bit warmer, especially in the mid to hight tones, a lot of scenes are a bit on the cold side.
        Overall I would go a tad more contrasty as well. Black levels on a few shots are a bit too high.

Comment

Working...
        X