Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matching Filmic Skin to Canon Log (EOS R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching Filmic Skin to Canon Log (EOS R)

Canon log on the EOS R is great, so why bother to match it with a non log profile? First, to find out if it's possible, for fun, and second, Canon Log disables Auto ISO. For live shots, Auto ISO is super helpful.

Results:

Waveform after grading with the same Adjustment Layer in PP CC (the before waveform matches as well). If something funky is happening with color, it would not be possible to use the exact same grade on both clips:
    FS_CL_WF.jpg

Before grading, straight from camera (I've added +1 sat for Canon Log in camera):

FS_CL_MATCH_NG.jpg

After grading with the same Adjustment Layer:

FS_CL_FULL_GR.jpg

Canon Log requires a higher ISO and even with WB fixed, Canon shifts the WB on Canon Log. The only adjustment in post was a slight Magenta-Green correction.

Can you tell the difference- which is the custom picture style (Filmic Skin updated to match EOS R Canon Log) and which is Canon Log?

The match is not exact, however straight from camera is close enough for my work.

Will also test this updated picture style on the 80D and 1DX II to see how well all 3 cameras can match to Canon Log on the EOS R (as well as to the Filmic Skin / Canon Log version).

Prefer the right frame whichever it is. The left frame appears to have a green cast under the chin, subject's left side. Also very noticeable differences in the small amount of green shirt that can be see. Not knowing what the green actually looked like but I sort of instinctively feel the green on the right frame feels more correct. Of course I could be MILES off. Could that green under chin in the left frame be refection from the shirt I wonder. Otherwise skin tones are very close to one another.

Chris Young

Comment

I think you worked on the left frame. I'm seeing green cast all over the right frame behind the glasses under your eyes, lips, chin cheek. I do think the left frame has more saturation, maybe back that of a bit. The white background looks a little green to me. So I see more red in the left frame and more green in the right frame.

Comment

One thing I know with my C500 is that it will see whatever color spectrum (source) is lighting the scene. So when it comes to shooting locations, I watch how it's blending the existing and my placed lights. The Canon sees many colors and will produce what it sees.

Comment

cyvideo & B.Berry thanks for the feedback. I've only done WB so far (different between clips). I see now viewing the JPGs on my MBP the magenta-green difference is much more visible- need to re-calibrate my editing monitor; check more closely colors in the vector scope. With WB locked between clips, there shouldn't be any WB shift (I do adjust colors in Filmic Skin (FS) using Canon's Picture Style Editor, however not in a way that can cause global WB shifts).

Did an Auto ISO test: it was way over exposed- think using exposure compensation (EC) can fix it (this could help retain highlights shooting outside). Fixing it in the picture style might mis-match the net tone/gamma curve (to match Canon Log), though allow using Auto ISO without needing EC. The goal is to be able to use the same grading in post, which will allow easy cutting between CLog and FS.

Note that I can make FS more accurate for color vs. Canon Log (can't make in-camera color changes). Will probably make another profile that's good on its own (not for matching to Canon Log).

Comment

Working...
          X