No announcement yet.

C-Log Coming to the Canon 5D IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I will say this, if Canon introduces a new firmware that adds C-Log to the 5D4, and a more efficient 4K codec that records at SS35 or wider, I will give...no...throw my money at Canon

Until then, I'll happily keep my trusted 5D3.

Comment

Another thing they should add is a greater sensor scan or some sort of an option involving line binning that would solve the crop problem.

Comment

The crop's not really the problem...it's not having a full-frame 4K camera.

It would be cool if the 6D II was it, but no way.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          The crop's not really the problem...it's not having a full-frame 4K camera...
          Technically speaking, they could have done what A7RII does in full frame, which is skip/bin lines. The resolution slightly suffers but the image quality is still reasonable. And A7RII has more lines to skip too.

Ideally, they'd up the 4K into 4.2/4.5K a la DVX 2000, as an example (13 MPX), then skip/bin the rest to get a full frame coverage. DVX200 was announced two years ago at the NAB'15, so you'd think Canon has been given a sufficient time to catch up with the concept.

As to 6D MKII - 75%, it's 1080p only.

Comment

Thanks, Strouty.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
              Latest rumor now says might not be as simple as a downloadable firmware. Might require drop off at Canon service center. This would be consistent with how firmware upgrades were handled on the 1Dc.

CR also now opens door to paid upgrade. Might not be free.

As long as it comes to the 1Dx mkII, I'm fine with paid upgrade. Would prefer re-badging to a red 'C' in that case too since it would clearly separate the camera and increase value.
              I am ok dropping my 1DXII in the Canon service centre for a paid upgrade. Had done that with my C300 (original) for the DPAF upgrade. I also agree that a re-badging would be great. However, I doubt if they do it, as they would then need some other part to affix on the body. If it is rebadged, then atleast I can tell clients and it will be of immense value.
              What is CR?
              Sabyasachi Patra / Wild Tiger Productions
              Equipment Reviews:https://www.indiawilds.com/diary/category/equipment/
              Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/IndiaWilds
              Profile:https://www.indiawilds.com/about.htm

Comment

Canon Rumors.

I would like a new cinema DSLR too, but I don't think a rebadging would mean much, honestly. It's not how it once was and the industry has changed.

The camera needs to really prove itself first to be worth anything/be respected...at least among smart clients.

Comment

The rebadging idea is simply a way to breathe a little sexiness back into the camera. I'm sure a service center could do it easily: pry off the small, square silver 'X' badge and replace it with the red 'C' badge of the 1Dc. Naturally, this would only happen for a paid update.

I remember feeling that the 1Dc was "special"—kind of still is. I don't feel the same way about the 1Dx mkII. Everybody has got one. It makes no difference when it comes to the technical qualities, but still....

I'm pretty sure the 1Dx mkII could handle Canon Log 3. That would be nice.

I've seen comments on Twitter where EOSHD says "it's too late, I have already provided a 'Canon Log' profile". What Andrew does, and James Miller too, is creating a flat profile in Picture Style Editor. Everyone can do this to their heart's content—it's not difficult.

But you can't do what Canon Log does: by mandating ISO400 or higher, Canon Log pulls the exposure by two stops internally and then boost the signal back up according to the Log curve. Kind of like how you can pull and push raw data in Lightroom. You can't create a picture profile like this in the editor. And seeing how solid the shadows are in raw still photos, I think you could do quite a bit, internally in the camera.
                  @andreemarkefors

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
                    The rebadging idea is simply a way to breathe a little sexiness back into the camera. I'm sure a service center could do it easily: pry off the small, square silver 'X' badge and replace it with the red 'C' badge of the 1Dc. Naturally, this would only happen for a paid update.

I remember feeling that the 1Dc was "special"—kind of still is. I don't feel the same way about the 1Dx mkII. Everybody has got one. It makes no difference when it comes to the technical qualities, but still....
                    If you bought a 1DC when it was $12,000, it was very special because almost no one had it, lol.

If the hypothetical 'C' implant was a paid upgrade - maybe like $1,000 - it would definitely create a bit of separation and bring some of that feeling back. But if it's a free upgrade then everyone would have the 'C' and it wouldn't be the same (like you said).

On a side note, I wonder if DPAF will work with C-Log. I feel like it has to.

Comment

I wonder if DPAF will work with C-Log.
                      I'm assuming it would. There is no restriction on DPAF functionality in other cameras shooting Canon Log, like the C100-300.
                      @andreemarkefors

Comment

Yea, but you know Canon...it would be a perfect way to separate the lines once again.

Comment

Yea, but you know Canon...it would be a perfect way to separate the lines once again.
                          Well, I might be in the minority, but I don't think Canon does things out of spite.

I feel that maybe 70%+ of the usual complaints that I read are things that Canon couldn't just 'implement' if they wanted to. You read about people bashing Canon for not "adding a new codec via firmware" or complaining why the 5D mkIV and 1Dx mkII (both Digic chip cameras) don't have XF-AVC (a Digic DV feature).

I'm not at all sure that the primarily photography oriented cameras in DSLR bodies even have all the necessary components in place to record and/or deliver 10bit video. Of course Canon could design them like that, but I'm not sure you could turn it on by flipping a switch.

Yes, Canon is conservative. And it's extremely annoying in this day and age that it seems almost impossible to find a high enough ranking individual that would be interested to get curated, thought through feedback from whatever community is left on Canon's side since the original 5D.

Also, while video has become more important marketing specs in recent years, it's still of marginal interest when viewing the big picture (for DSLRs).

More than actual technical shortcomings, I feel that is this lack of communication that will drive me to another brand like RED or BMD. Those two would have to start making cameras I could actually use, of course....

Maybe there is a Japanese forum somewhere where technicians from Canon chime in, I don't know.
                          @andreemarkefors

Comment

This is a pretty serious update if true:

http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-fact...g-update-more/

Wow.

Comment

Wow.
                              And you're not giving me credit for this? Really, Norbert, would Canon have done it without me making a note of it last week? I say, not.

They're prompt buggers too. Read all my posts like a bible.

Comment

Wow.
                                Yes. Wow.

I wouldn't believe a word of it, but Canon Rumors is rarely wrong about stuff such as this. If they are, they update it quite quickly.

I feel this would single handedly put Canon back into the market of DSLR for video. The update would address pretty much every problem I have with using the 5D for video. These changes would lead me to buy one or two 5D's.
                                Last edited by cpreston; 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X