Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 1-hand gimbal for Canon 5D Mark IV with 24-105 lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for 1-hand gimbal for Canon 5D Mark IV with 24-105 lens?

Hello, I am in the market to purchase a gimbal for a Canon 5D Mark IV.

The application would be as a 3rd camera for select moments during weddings, and it would never leave the gimbal. Something I could just pick up quickly, shoot with and put down, while my two main video cameras sit on a tripod.

I have used a Letus Helix Jr with a Sony FS5 before – but looking for a smaller setup that doesn’t require two hands.
    Is there a gimbal out there that doesn’t block the back of the screen on the Canon 5D Mark IV, so that I can take advantage of its touch screen auto-focus to track faces?

For example, it would be something I’d like to use while walking backwards during the recessional at the ceremony.
    I was intrigued by this device, but it looks like the screen is partially blocked, based on the demo screenshots they showed.

https://www.cinema5d.com/nebula-5100...-no-balancing/

Any advice or experiences?

Thank you.

I tried the Pilotfly h2 with my 5D IV and 24-70 2.8 and had to return it. It was a pain to get balanced since the lens is so front heavy and the screen ends up being blocked. It would also freak out half the time and just start spinning uncontrollably. Unfortunately I don't think the 5DIV is a good design for 1 handed gimbals due to a lack of articulating screens. You can always add a two handle bar and ad an external monitor but then it defeats the purpose.

I was temped to take the plunge into the gimbal world and now I'm happier than ever to be flying steadicam. It just doesn't compare.
    Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

I would agree with egproductions. The Canon with that lens on it is just not going to work well with One Handled Gimbals. Even if you are in the weight requirements range I suspect you will always be fighting the gimbal. That's also a pretty heavy combo for that camera. I think the smaller thing I would attempt to get could results would be something about the size of the Letus. I've also found just about all gimbals perform better when you're using two hands. The only gimbal I've seen that does okay one handed is an OSMO with a Z-Axis. If you can put the time into learning a steadicam you'll probably get better, more repeatable results.
      Chris Bernard
      Dangerous Amateur
      Chicago, IL

Comment

I was going to post this same exact question today (but for the 1DX Mark II)...so nothing out there in the world yet that wouldn't block the back of the screen? (I haven't kept up with the gimbals.)

Comment

Of course it looks like Film Power is showing their newest model supporting this configuration. I am dubious you could get good results with this but it's based on my experience with stuff that's mostly come out in the past year.

Chris Bernard
          Dangerous Amateur
          Chicago, IL

Comment

I have the Feiyu MG Lite gimbal and love it. It's rated to support up to 4.4 lbs. I've used it with the GH4 with a heavy Rokinon Cine lens on it with no issues. All gimbals are a hassle to get balanced, but this one is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. It's pretty tolerant of rough handling. I can use the camera controls without it freaking out. Also used touch focus. I don't think there is any one handed gimbal that won't partially block the screen if it can't be adjusted, but if you use a light lens (ideally some kind of pancake lens), so the camera can balance in a more forward position you should be able to see the screen well enough to operate if you keep it at the right angle. The MG Lite also connects to the iPhone via bluetooth so you can fine tune the motor settings, as well as control the pan and tilt of the gimbal remotely if you need to.
            "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Comment

This one looks promising...

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...e-rear-screen-

Comment

I don't think any single handed gimbal is appropriate as they all have relatively short arms so even if you can get that long heavy rig to clear for normal operation, you'll lose most of the range of motion and risk it bumping into the motors constantly. Not worth it. You needed a final with a larger for factor. I think I saw one single hand final at nab with extendable arms though that might be more appropriate I'll see if I can find it.
                Noah Yuan-Vogel
                http://www.noahyv.com

Comment

any lens with variable physical length is not good for gimbal. especially the one hand ones

Comment

If you put a small prime or lightweight wide angle zoom on the 5D, you can just get by with the Zhiyun Crane. It is one of the better 1 handed gimbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XiNJgO9DzA

-gl

Comment

Tilta G1

Comment

The new Zhiyun Crane 2 is really dialed in for the Canon cameras. It even has follow focus built in specifically for Canons.

-gl

Comment

Originally posted by Budgieboots View Post
                          Hello, I am in the market to purchase a gimbal for a Canon 5D Mark IV.

The application would be as a 3rd camera for select moments during weddings, and it would never leave the gimbal. Something I could just pick up quickly, shoot with and put down, while my two main video cameras sit on a tripod.

I have used a Letus Helix Jr with a Sony FS5 before – but looking for a smaller setup that doesn’t require two hands.
                          Is there a gimbal out there that doesn’t block the back of the screen on the Canon 5D Mark IV, so that I can take advantage of its touch screen auto-focus to track faces?

For example, it would be something I’d like to use while walking backwards during the recessional at the ceremony.
                          I was intrigued by this device, but it looks like the screen is partially blocked, based on the demo screenshots they showed.

Any advice or experiences?

Thank you.
                          https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nt_3_axis.html

Similar to the one you posted by they changed the crossbar so it is slanted (hence its name change). The YT channel "Travel Feels" did a review on it if you'd like to see it in action. I'm planning on getting it here in the future, as I'd like a small gimbal to fly my 5D4. Hope that helps!

Comment

argh! wish they would make one with enough clearence to fit the FS7 as well. I could get the camera with lens down to 3.1kg

Comment

Crane 2 will be the best for any camera without a battery grip. We have tested the crane, any camera with a battery grip will not balance. The arm is too short. ( even the Ronin M will need to install an extension)

Comment

Working...
                              X