Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5d Mark iv - No Dual Pixel autofocus while recording 120fps/slow motion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5d Mark iv - No Dual Pixel autofocus while recording 120fps/slow motion?

I am just wondering whether I have missed something with my Canon 5d Mark iv.

Is there No Dual Pixel autofocus while recording 120fps/slow motion?

Thanks!
    Miami Wedding Photographers

According to page 358 of the manual, no AF in HFR mode. No sound output to the headphones either. The limitations of using HFR mode seem to be scattered throughout the manual. Is the slow-mo quality any good on this camera?
    Attached Files

Comment

Lack of audio in high frame rate modes is pretty typical in most cameras. 720P on the 5DIV is pretty bad though. 60p at 1080 is comprabale to 5D III quality (which is to say is acceptable.) 30P at 4K MJPEG is absolutely gorgeous. If you can get over the very high bitrate and crop factor, the image is really really clean with great color excellent low light performance.
      Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

Don't have a 5D, and I don't know how it saves the HFR files; whether the 120fps is rolled into a 30p or 24p format for saving on the card. I noticed the only cameras that I own which will record sound while shooting in HFR save the 120fps files as 120p. I think that's a key indicator to whether you get sound or not. I would guess the 5D outputs its 120fps in a standard frame rate, with the slow-mo already built in. The FS7 is the same, and no auto focus or auto exposure. A good bang for buck camera for HFR is the AX100, or AX53. No interchangeable lens, which may not work for the OP. Really nice looking video though.

Comment

https://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55...de/td-p/352696

Some interesting points about recording audio in high frame rate modes and the difference between 60P files and laying hi speed footage directly to 23.976 files.
          Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Watson View Post
            Don't have a 5D, and I don't know how it saves the HFR files; whether the 120fps is rolled into a 30p or 24p format for saving on the card. I noticed the only cameras that I own which will record sound while shooting in HFR save the 120fps files as 120p. I think that's a key indicator to whether you get sound or not. I would guess the 5D outputs its 120fps in a standard frame rate, with the slow-mo already built in. The FS7 is the same, and no auto focus or auto exposure. A good bang for buck camera for HFR is the AX100, or AX53. No interchangeable lens, which may not work for the OP. Really nice looking video though.
            Which camera do you own? The AX100 120fps is equally as bad to the 5D IVs except is has a much smaller sensor (deeper DOF and worse low light) and it has Sony v.s Canon colors.
            Last edited by egproductions; 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I find the AX100 to be a very decent slow-mo video camera. I also shoot HFR with the AX53, with a smaller sensor but does 1920x1080 120p. There are lots of differences between these cams. In summary;
              AX100 pros: 1-inch type sensor, works with my Canon Lanc remote, ND, nice 4K 100Mbps, manual controls for exposure, and in high speed mode, it records audio, has AF and auto exposure and permits zooming (12x).
              AX100 cons: weak IS, only 60Mbps in high speed, only 12x zoom. Resolution in high speed is 1280x720.
              AX53 pros: BOSS IS is great, high speed mode same as AX100 except FHD res. and 100Mbps. Smaller/lighter. 20x zoom.
              AX53 cons: Minimal manual controls, Lanc is not compatible with my existing remotes, smaller sensor.
              I have two of each, plus five FDR-X3000 action cams. They do nicely with their BOSS IS, high speed modes, GPS, time code options.
              I still shoot some video with the XF305 and assorted other video cameras, plus the Canon 7D and 6D. I only shoot tilt-shift video with the dSLRs.
              Also have the FS7, and found it too much work trying to shoot high speed since AF is lost, as well as auto exposure. Lots of lost shots if anything is off. Tried a variable ND on the lens rather than running shutter speed up and down but found that too much hassle when the AX100 and AX53 are so easy to get a high ratio of keeper shots. For mild slow mo, the FS7 can work, and I use it that way for things other than motor sports. For instance a shot of crashing surf looks pretty good on the FS7, but I don't go to S&Q mode then, I just go to 4K 60P, which gives me 2x slow mo with audio. FS7 really shines in 30p and 60p 4K and lots of flexibility in post to massage the image. On a side note on the X3000.... robustness. I had that little camera come off vehicles three times and the cameras still work, including the BOSS. They weren't in the waterproof case either and I was lucky the lenses came out without a scratch. Missing a battery cover and tripod mount, but works fine.

Mark

P.S. I used to dislike Sony colors, but for the Sony cameras I use, I don't have any qualms anymore. I like the XF305's colors also. Not sure what happened there, maybe Sony changed something, or it's too easy to tweak in post if needed.
              Last edited by Mark Watson; 01-09-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The RX10II&III record 120fps continuous, and with sound I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by aldolega View Post
                  The RX10II&III record 120fps continuous, and with sound I believe.

Nope on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Watson View Post
                    Nope on both counts.
                    I've seen a review on the RX10II / III does record audio when recording in 120fps as long as you are not using the HFR mode.

HFR = Overcranking / Undercranking, this never has audio.

But there is a 120fps XAVC-S mode and this will record audio.

Comment

Originally posted by hasselblad View Post
                      I am just wondering whether I have missed something with my Canon 5d Mark iv.

Is there No Dual Pixel autofocus while recording 120fps/slow motion?

Thanks!
                      This is a standard "gotcha" with Canon. They do this on purpose to differentiate their product line.

7D Mark II - 1080 @ 60p = No Dual Pixel, 720 @ 60p = Yes Dual Pixel
                      5D Mark IV - 720 @ 120p = No Dual Pixel
                      1DX II - 4K @ 60p = Yes Dual Pixel, 1080 @ 120p = Yes Dual Pixel

Comment

Is there dual pixel AF at 120 fps with the new Canon 1dx Mark III and Canon R5....?

Comment

1dx Mark II does it!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X