Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

image quality difference between canon 70-200 vs tamron compared to canon 24-105?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do t know if there is newer data but 70-200 are specifically singled out for poor reliability
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ata-2012-2013/

my my advice is to buy and trade out every two years
    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by payal_choksi View Post
      Thank you everybody for your comments, suggestions and advise. Based on your replies Canon 70-200 f2.8 II seems to be the best lens to go for. But for someone, like me, who shoots with 24-105 f4 and finds that quality acceptable, going for canon 70-200 f2.8 II seems to be an overkill (of course considering the price).

But here, we are comparing Tamron AF 70 - 200 mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro and Canon 70-200 f4 with canon 24-105 f4. So keeping the 24-105 f4 as base, which one of the two would blend with it? will there be a very vast noticeable difference in terms of image quality if i use Tamron AF 70 - 200 mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro along with 24-105 f4, that the viewers may notice it?

i just don't want the viewers to feel the difference in the two lens when they see the final film, where different shots will be put back to back.

regards,

So many replies, but none answering the question or point that is raised. we are digressing from the topic. You are talking about the durability of 70-200 but nothing related to the topic. pls put your views regarding the message that is in the quote.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
        I do t know if there is newer data but 70-200 are specifically singled out for poor reliability
        https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ata-2012-2013/

my my advice is to buy and trade out every two years
        Thanks for that link. Interesting. Lens Rentals note that they think the 70-200 of any make or variety is the most likely to have more frequent issues due to the size and number of elements. Most of the problems seem to be optics going out of alignment. This really shouldn't be a problem unless you drop the lens. Again, the 100-400 VII tear down seemed to show it being a more robust lens, but I doubt it would be much better than the 70-200 if you are having problems with larger zooms.

Comment

So many replies, but none answering the question or point that is raised. we are digressing from the topic. You are talking about the durability of 70-200 but nothing related to the topic. pls put your views regarding the message that is in the quote.
          I believe the DXO test scores answered all of that early on in the thread. Everyone else is contributing to factors that should be considered beyond pure image quality scores of a lens which is the beauty of an online community. Collectively (and often individually) We have lots of experiences with different lenses and sometimes what looks best on paper is not recommended in the real world.

Since we have practical knowledge of the lenses and manufacturers, it's very hard for any of us to say, that "Tamron" looks great on paper so we recommend buying that. Our experiences will ultimately save you money.
          Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

See if this will answer your question,
            Depending on how sensitive you are to the color or other things, but most normal human client is very difficult to tell which lens you actually use buy watching the end product.
            I have used Tamron lens from time to time, most recently I own the 24-70VC 150-600VC . Picture quality is fine if you can accept the 24-105L( acture the new tamron 24-70 VC or 70-200VC are better ). I am sure if you are getting an old one it is comparable with similiar lens that were release the same time
            Also there are lots of negative comments on the Canon 70-200L (IS) on its reliability in least few years. So serious thoughts before buying. My friend broke hers couple weeks ago. Canon is of very old design (10years) and the tamron new generation of lens( those with 5-7year warrantee) are much better.

If you are planning to get the new Tamron 70-200 or Canon 70-200F4, I will suggest you to get a second hand Canon 70-200L with or without IS, they are great.

Very sad to say, if you get paid for a job a white lens with a red line at the end can get u questions that are less embarrassing.

Comment

I agree very hard to see the difference. There is no reason to be nervous buying a lens, buy it second hand and when you want something different sell it and buy something else. Every lens and in many cases an individual lens has some pros and cons, but don't worry about the color nobody will be bothered by the very small differences. Don't worry about sharpness for video because it is in most cases not a issue.
              the old tamron sucked at focussing....i never liked it but the image quality was great. Canon f4 is much smaller and that makes a real difference ( i even dropped my 2.8 because it becomes heave after logging it the whole day lol )
              Maybe you also wanna condider sigma os version which is good and focuses good....just find one with a good price on the secondhand market ...not happy play with it ..sell it and buy another

Comment

Originally posted by cookinghusband View Post
                See if this will answer your question,
                Depending on how sensitive you are to the color or other things, but most normal human client is very difficult to tell which lens you actually use buy watching the end product.
                I have used Tamron lens from time to time, most recently I own the 24-70VC 150-600VC . Picture quality is fine if you can accept the 24-105L( acture the new tamron 24-70 VC or 70-200VC are better ). I am sure if you are getting an old one it is comparable with similiar lens that were release the same time
                Also there are lots of negative comments on the Canon 70-200L (IS) on its reliability in least few years. So serious thoughts before buying. My friend broke hers couple weeks ago. Canon is of very old design (10years) and the tamron new generation of lens( those with 5-7year warrantee) are much better.

If you are planning to get the new Tamron 70-200 or Canon 70-200F4, I will suggest you to get a second hand Canon 70-200L with or without IS, they are great.

Very sad to say, if you get paid for a job a white lens with a red line at the end can get u questions that are less embarrassing.
                Originally posted by aras View Post
                I agree very hard to see the difference. There is no reason to be nervous buying a lens, buy it second hand and when you want something different sell it and buy something else. Every lens and in many cases an individual lens has some pros and cons, but don't worry about the color nobody will be bothered by the very small differences. Don't worry about sharpness for video because it is in most cases not a issue.
                the old tamron sucked at focussing....i never liked it but the image quality was great. Canon f4 is much smaller and that makes a real difference ( i even dropped my 2.8 because it becomes heave after logging it the whole day lol )
                Maybe you also wanna condider sigma os version which is good and focuses good....just find one with a good price on the secondhand market ...not happy play with it ..sell it and buy another

Finally some answers that are relevant to me!! The lens i am talking about is this: Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Fast Telephoto Zoom Lens with Hood For Canon DSLR Camera

i think this is an old lens but price wise it's affordable with f2.8. As mentioned that it is not good at focusing, for video i will be focusing manually only. Does it suck at manual focus also?

Comment

Working...
                X