Canon 1DC 4K - cut off clips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 1DC 4K - cut off clips?

*Sorry - title should be "Cut off clips." There is an astounding lack of info out there for 1DC users - I love this camera but it's almost impossible to find anything that isn't the user manual. I'm working on a blog for 1DC users to share info (coming soon) especially since it is now so affordable... But have any fellow users out there had problems with: 1. getting a temperature warning in 4K (even when using a 1066x approved card) or 2. all of your 4K clips are cut off at 1:08 ore 1:10? It seems lossless, but it seems oddly short for a clip? 3. It seems to sometimes stop recording with no warning for no reason? WIth plenty of room on an approved card. I'm frustrated and can't find answers. Any thoughts or info appreciated! Thanks y'all!
    Last edited by evolvnyc; 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM. Reason: misspellings

I think with this recent price drop this camera may start to be used and looked at more than ever. At $5,000 brand new used models will start showing up for $3-4K which puts you in the same league as an a7S II in terms of price but in the Alexa/ Red category in terms of image!!! I'm a huge fan of this camera and have been lusting after one for nearly four years. I finally bought one this month and have already shot two big projects with it and I'm so happy with this camera. Took it to Mexico for some run n gun documentary work and then shot a music video with a crew and a DP who really knows how to light. It's such a versatile camera in that it can really perform well in both run n gun scenarios and in a crew environment. Since we use monitors and EVFs for everything the missing features of peaking and waveforms isn't a huge deal.

I digress... To answer your questions:
    1. Haven't had a temperature warning ever
    2. Unfortunately that's how it is. C300 is the same. Cuts to a new clip after a certain amount. Clips don't get ruined tho. Just breaks them into multiple clips unfortunately.
    3. No idea what that problem is!

Comment

Evolvnyc, I'm in NYC too, we should keep in contact as I'm a long time 1DC user. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, temperature warning will come on, especially after recording long takes in 4K mode.

2. The clips are broken into 4GB clips because of FAT32 structure. You can use this program to combine the clips (EOS Movie Utility 1.5, it's under the software tab):

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...a-eos/eos-1d-c

3. Yes, rarely, but it does happen. I think that the card isn't performing to specifications at that time.

There's a couple good threads in here about the 1DC but you must dig a bit. Good luck with the cam.
      Last edited by Movies by Matt; 07-30-2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Probably more information in the proper forum: Cinema EOS. We've been discussing the camera since 2013 there.
        @andreemarkefors

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! Sorry to have posted in the wrong place, I know that's a no-no...
          Every time I search 1DC it says the terms are too common and won't show me results... Anyway, my response:
          I thought the whole reason this camera was SO much more expensive was due to the cine software and heat sync that allowed for continuous shooting - so the fact that it shows warning when shooting 4K is pretty sad. And I have read the manual front to back and of course they don't mention these things. I alternate between loving it and hating Canon (I have had many awful experiences with them over the years via "repairs..." But like I said, this is such a unique beast, with many unique challenges, and there is little to no info out there for us. Thank you all for your feedback, and I"m not sure if it's ok to mention or promote the blog I'm working on (not for money,) but we plan to: address all of these technical challenges and offer solutions from other users and Canon reps, profile different shooters and their work to help each other figure out new and better ways to use the camera, and share photos and tricks of different set-ups, rigs and settings. I would love for you guys to contribute and be involved if you'd like, not sure how to contact you (DM on here?) But you sound like enthusiastic users and would love to hear your experiences! Hit me up and thanks again for the info!
          -Brad

Comment

@ultramaze Glad someone else is using it for run n' gun! I'm curious...how do you set yours up or rig it for handheld run n' gun situations? I'm only shooting HD on a first-generation 1DX, but I'm having some "soft footage" struggles that I attribute mostly to missing focus, especially outdoors. Do you just stop down? Or do you use a finder of some type (Zacuto or other). I have an external HD recorder that'll record good codec (10-bit 422 ProRes HQ) and of course it's limited to what the HDMI will output, but I bought it mostly for focus peaking. But it's dimmer than the 1DX's own monitor! Maybe I'll post this question in the EOS Cinema forum too.

Anyway, just curious.
            Sony FS5, A7RII, Fuji XT-3, MacBook Pro

Comment

Originally posted by David_Manning View Post
              @ultramaze Glad someone else is using it for run n' gun! I'm curious...how do you set yours up or rig it for handheld run n' gun situations? I'm only shooting HD on a first-generation 1DX, but I'm having some "soft footage" struggles that I attribute mostly to missing focus, especially outdoors. Do you just stop down? Or do you use a finder of some type (Zacuto or other). I have an external HD recorder that'll record good codec (10-bit 422 ProRes HQ) and of course it's limited to what the HDMI will output, but I bought it mostly for focus peaking. But it's dimmer than the 1DX's own monitor! Maybe I'll post this question in the EOS Cinema forum too.

Anyway, just curious.
              Add the sidefinder! Changed my game... (Has to be 50o series monitor I think)
              https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...n_for_500.html

Comment

Originally posted by evolvnyc View Post
                Hi Guys, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! Sorry to have posted in the wrong place, I know that's a no-no...
                Every time I search 1DC it says the terms are too common and won't show me results... Anyway, my response:
                I thought the whole reason this camera was SO much more expensive was due to the cine software and heat sync that allowed for continuous shooting - so the fact that it shows warning when shooting 4K is pretty sad. And I have read the manual front to back and of course they don't mention these things. I alternate between loving it and hating Canon (I have had many awful experiences with them over the years via "repairs..." But like I said, this is such a unique beast, with many unique challenges, and there is little to no info out there for us. Thank you all for your feedback, and I"m not sure if it's ok to mention or promote the blog I'm working on (not for money,) but we plan to: address all of these technical challenges and offer solutions from other users and Canon reps, profile different shooters and their work to help each other figure out new and better ways to use the camera, and share photos and tricks of different set-ups, rigs and settings. I would love for you guys to contribute and be involved if you'd like, not sure how to contact you (DM on here?) But you sound like enthusiastic users and would love to hear your experiences! Hit me up and thanks again for the info!
                -Brad
                1) Do not use sandisk CF card will solve lots of problem, Approved by Canon does not mean it works. Lexar 256 and Transcend 128 are fine. I have only seen temperature warning only occur when I hold the camera with my hand, mounting it on a tripod helps
                2) The IDC comes with a software to combine the files to one when you offload the clip. It a a 4Gb per file thing so it will be compatible with fat32 cards. Actually I prefer it in small size clips like this. you only lost 1 minute of recording if any kind of failure for any reason. You just drag the clips to create a new sequence in your software when you need to it to work as one clip.
                3) Is card problem mostly if it stop without reason it frequently on sandisk 256 GB CF
                4) If you do not need fully operation Canon log or continuous recording of more than 30mins. At the same price get the 1DX2, the DR and reduced hi-ISO noise probably compensate for the canon log. just remember I will not recommend to buy sandisk CF or Cfast again. 1DX2 is a much hotter camera in operation. Although the 1DX2 DPAF may not lock onto the target as you wish every time, it is so much better than the 1DC.

I am using 1DC and 1DX2 at the same time now, I probably will get a second extra 1DX2 for 3-camera operation if I do not hear about 1DC2 within this year. Unless the 1DC is within <US3000 I will not consider buying a second one as my 3rd cam.
                Since i am run n' gun type and shooting "sport" type event 1DX2 is much better for me( except for the 30min recording limit and not dual Cfast card)
                Last edited by cookinghusband; 08-16-2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David_Manning View Post

Anyway, just curious.
                  I just use a loupe, or a 7" monitor with peak or other focus asist tool with my 1DC. Focus using liveview on the 1DC is hell via the screen on the camera.
                  I would not mind giving up canon-log and >30min per recording for the DPAF.

Comment

Originally posted by cookinghusband View Post
                    1) Do not use sandisk CF card will solve lots of problem, Approved by Canon does not mean it works. Lexar 256 and Transcend 128 are fine. I have only seen temperature warning only occur when I hold the camera with my hand, mounting it on a tripod helps
                    2) The IDC comes with a software to combine the files to one when you offload the clip. It a a 4Gb per file thing so it will be compatible with fat32 cards. Actually I prefer it in small size clips like this. you only lost 1 minute of recording if any kind of failure for any reason. You just drag the clips to create a new sequence in your software when you need to it to work as one clip.
                    3) Is card problem mostly if it stop without reason it frequently on sandisk 256 GB CF
                    4) If you do not need fully operation Canon log or continuous recording of more than 30mins. At the same price get the 1DX2, the DR and reduced hi-ISO noise probably compensate for the canon log. just remember I will not recommend to buy sandisk CF or Cfast again. 1DX2 is a much hotter camera in operation. Although the 1DX2 DPAF may not lock onto the target as you wish every time, it is so much better than the 1DC.

I am using 1DC and 1DX2 at the same time now, I probably will get a second extra 1DX2 for 3-camera operation if I do not hear about 1DC2 within this year. Unless the 1DC is within <US3000 I will not consider buying a second one as my 3rd cam.
                    Since i am run n' gun type and shooting "sport" type event 1DX2 is much better for me( except for the 30min recording limit and not dual Cfast card)
                    Thanks for responding! So yeah:

1. I am using Lexar 1066x 128Gb cards (have already corrupted a brand new one, simply by throwing it in a 5D (after 1dc) and trying to format it...) And it happened in an air conditioned house, on sticks - no handholding, nothing strenuous...

2. great point about loss of short clips!

3. It was a Lexar but yes, seems to stop without reason.

4. This didn't even happen in Canon log - just 4k in a picture profile (less stress on camera...) so I have no idea. The 1dxm2 is hard to argue as being "better." Of course, what comes out of the camera is what matters, not "specs" or numbers, if you get an image you don't like, numbers don't matter. the 1dxm2 does not have c-log, and while the autofocus is great on the 1dxm2, losing c-log is a deal breaker for some people, those of us who focus manually for example. ALso, rigorous tests have shown that s-35 footage on 1dc is far superior in sharpness and tonal transition, so again, it matters what you need the tool for if it is "better" or not. They are both amazing cameras which can produce results almost indistinguishable from film (in the hands of a DP who knows how to light, op, direct, etc...) but everyone must decide for themselves if they like what comes off the card at the end of the day.

In a lot of ways, I would still say my Pana dvx100 is a far "better" video camera than the Scarlet, but what is "better?" Just food for thought... It's disheartening when in almost every seminar or lecture I speak at, the questions always start with "what camera/lens/film, blah blah did you use...?" Use the tools that allow you to make what you want, artistry and beauty can be created with an $8 plastic camera.

Comment

Originally posted by evolvnyc View Post
                      Thanks for responding! So yeah:

1. I am using Lexar 1066x 128Gb cards (have already corrupted a brand new one, simply by throwing it in a 5D (after 1dc) and trying to format it...) And it happened in an air conditioned house, on sticks - no handholding, nothing strenuous...

2. great point about loss of short clips!

3. It was a Lexar but yes, seems to stop without reason.

4. This didn't even happen in Canon log - just 4k in a picture profile (less stress on camera...) so I have no idea. The 1dxm2 is hard to argue as being "better." Of course, what comes out of the camera is what matters, not "specs" or numbers, if you get an image you don't like, numbers don't matter. the 1dxm2 does not have c-log, and while the autofocus is great on the 1dxm2, losing c-log is a deal breaker for some people, those of us who focus manually for example. ALso, rigorous tests have shown that s-35 footage on 1dc is far superior in sharpness and tonal transition, so again, it matters what you need the tool for if it is "better" or not. They are both amazing cameras which can produce results almost indistinguishable from film (in the hands of a DP who knows how to light, op, direct, etc...) but everyone must decide for themselves if they like what comes off the card at the end of the day.

In a lot of ways, I would still say my Pana dvx100 is a far "better" video camera than the Scarlet, but what is "better?" Just food for thought... It's disheartening when in almost every seminar or lecture I speak at, the questions always start with "what camera/lens/film, blah blah did you use...?" Use the tools that allow you to make what you want, artistry and beauty can be created with an $8 plastic camera.
                      1)I need to reformat my CF after using it in a 5Ds for once, seems to be a problem with the 5D series?
                      3) smaller size card seems to be marginally slower than the 256GB card, 1066X card is a very marginally meeting the fast write speed required for the 1DC, and the card get slower as it get over 70%? 80%? 90%? full. Also high temperature will make card slower. As soon as 1DC run out of buffer during writing it will stop by it self.
                      4) Haha very true, I try to re-direct that question of "what camera U are using?" these that day to ask enquirer what do u want the camera to shoot. I could have use a DC or an iphone if it suit the situation. I can not 100% sure about the PQ comparison 1DC vs 1DX2, I have test and used them together quite a number times since I bought it few months back. I seems to like the 1DX2's outcome a very small fraction more, probably due to the extra dynamic range. Any way after seeing the 5D4 spec, I guess I am more likely to get the second 1DX2. Since I do multi cam shooting by myself, and I need to spend quite some time every time I need to merge it with the A7s2 or DVX200

Comment

Working...
                      X