My 1DX review on the Canon USA website

Full text here:

Fantastic build, held back by video firmware
I come from a stills background, and transitioned from Nikon to Canon for their color science and the video features in the then-cutting edge 5DmkII. As I've become more interested in producing good video, I shopped for a good HD video machine. Camcorders are great devices, but their poor color science and small sensors made them unacceptable for my own uses. Like everyone else, I was very interested in the Sony A7RII. After testing one, I realized that I'd have to use adapters of varying qualities to shoot with my terrific Canon glass. Since I only need 1080p HD, I looked into the 1DX. The build quality is phenomenal, and encourages field use. The still image capture capabilities are truly breathtaking...especially the customizable focus capabilities, which are even useful to non-sports shooters. As I get my video workflow perfected, I'm disappointed, however, it the lack of Canon support for the 1DX's video features. Simple firmware updates would unleash the capability to output clean HDMI signals for external recording, and well as allow the addition of an Slog-3 recording curve, to capture the most data. The sensor in the 1DX is amazing...but most of that technology is lost at capture for video. A decision by Canon to update the 1DX to clean HDMI and Slog-3 would enable hybrid shooters who DON'T NEED 4K video to enjoy all the capabilities of this terrific camera. This wouldn't impinge on professional video shooters who insist upon 4K capture...it would just enable shooters who are covering important daily events, the bread and butter of Canon and the foundation of it's reputation, to output professional products for their intended, limited audiences (print and online). After all, clean HDMI was updated for the consumer-oriented 5DmkIII already. I look forward to the day Canon decides to support it's loyal customers who use Canon cameras and lenses to push their creativity. I enjoy shooting the EOS 1DX and many photographers would be thrilled to renew their enthusiasm for this terrific camera. I'd recommend this camera to others, with these basic caveats.

Given the comment above, that you probably can't get Canon to fix the 1DX -

What about a Canon 7DII as a supplement to your 1DX? I bought a new, USA Canon 7DII body from B&H for $1,050 after the printer rebate.

I absolutely love the ergonomics on the 7DII for stills. They are better than any camera I have used, with the dedicated AF lever and dedicated toggle, the programmable back button AF options, combined with the C1-C2-C3 modes. Plus 65 all cross AF points, wide AF point frame coverage, etc.

It also has great video AF, with it's version of Canon Dual Pixel AF (not sure of the name on different cameras.) It has a newer, cleaner sensor with less banding/ noise, plus clean HDMI out. It isn't a 1DX, and there is no CLog, but it might serve as a "stop gap" until the 5D4 comes out, or you can justify a 1DX II, or similar?

Good luck!

WIth the 1DX2 out already, the 1DX will be off the self in less then 12months. I cannot believe there will be any more firmware upgrades now.
If it is only clean hdmi output and c-log that u want, you might as well trade your 1DX for a second hand 1DC by paying a $500 to 1000 more, also make sure you do not want live view AF.

Or you might as well upgrade to 1DX2.

Back