Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transcoding 29.97fps footage to match 23.976fps timeline (music video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colabean
    replied
    Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
    (too late now, but for the record, I think both the 5Dmkii and the T3i shoot 24p)
    Thank you, my mistake, it was 5D (not mkii) and happily realized the footage from the T3i was in 24p.. so that leaves a bit less to re-time.

Leave a comment:

• DPStewart
    replied
    Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
    (too late now, but for the record, I think both the 5Dmkii and the T3i shoot 24p)
    Yes, they do. Holding one in my hand right now.

Leave a comment:

• Samuel H
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michael Carter
    replied
    By transcoding, do you mean frame-for-frame, where 30p slows down when the time is re-set to 24p? So you get mild slow motion?

Or do you want to re-time it so it stays the same number of seconds (basically throw some frames away)?

You can do either in After Effects - interpret the footage as 24p, drop into a comp and render for the 1st option; Or do the same, but use timewarp to speed it up for the 2nd option.

Leave a comment:

• chappers
    replied
    If you start a new project in FCPX, simply make your project frame rate the one you want. Then import your 30fps video's. FCPX will then automatically reconfigure the video to 24 fps. Then output.
    You can automatically convert in Compressor as well. But as you have access to FCPX that makes more sense

Leave a comment:

• colabean
    replied
    Good tip! However, a relative bought FCPX as an impulse buy when getting their Mac, so I'll just make a visit to see if I can do it that on their machine.

Any idea how I go about it though? Havent been able to find anything on YouTube for optical flow exept slow mo tutorials. I want to find how I can accurately batch convert a bunch of .mov files from their native 30fps down to 24fps.. then take em back to use in my Premiere timeline.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Haustein
    replied
    Motion has optical flow built in as well, for $50 instead of the $300.

Leave a comment:

• Transcoding 29.97fps footage to match 23.976fps timeline (music video)

A few scenes were shot on Canon DSLRs that don't offer 24p. Some on the 5Dmkii and one on a T3i. I realize there is no perfect solution, especially in the software domain, but could someone make suggestions regardless to integrate this footage with my main footage which is 23.976fps? (Editing in Premiere, btw)

I am wondering how Adobe Media Encoder would fair? I'm having trouble finding a setting though that doesn't heavily compress my original .MOV files when outputted..

I'm an Adobe user, and some folks on Creative Cow thought I might fair OK with Media Encoder if I get my settings right.
    I have heard that FCP X might be an alternative if this doesn't work out, by using their Optical Flow option.

Thanks for any input. The source footage in some cases has fairly fast movement -- hand gestures etc.
Working...
X