5d mkIII ML

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5d mkIII ML

If I understand this right the 5d mkIII is 1k and if I download ML it will jump to 2k using RAW?

The Samsung NX1 is 4k and not a bad price point if one wants to jump to 4k but I was wondering if the HD on the Samsung is as good as the 5d mkIII or better? I have read that the Samsung NX1 has better and sharper image than the 5d MkIII Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm getting ready to shoot a project and need to decide if I should continuing using the 5d mkIII or jump to 4k. But isn't 4k kind of going over board a bit? Wouldn't 2k be fine enough?

5D MKIII is 1080p, albeit very mushy. Magic Lantern Raw hack makes a lot of difference in sharpness and color rendering at the expense of file sizes. The only DSLR style camera that Canon has with 4K is 1D C which retails for $8,000. 5D MKIV and 1D X MKII should be coming out sometime in 2016. Footage shot in 4K can be downsampled for a higher quality 1080p, if that's what the client asks/pays for. Outside of NX1, there are quite a few models now with 4K, from compacts to MFT's to FF's to small sensor camcorders, pro cameras, etc.

Comment

Dude...can I call you dude?

Dude...

The 5D mkIII in M.L. RAW is LIGHT YEARS better than the regular 5D codec.
      In fact I have seen many people test it against the BMCC and they are in many ways identical.

The regular 1080p hi-def you're going to get with ML RAW beats ANY DSLR. PERIOD.
      Plus - the nature of RAW will mean FAR more room and leeway for color correction and grading in post.

If I had a 5D mkIII right now, I'd just shoot RAW on it and forget about every other camera until the URSA Mini hits.
      Remember - the Full-Frame 5D mkIII is going to blow away EVERY other DSLR except the Sony A7s in low-light already anyway.

So...you have a 5D mkIII and you've never shot in ML RAW???

Prepare to have your mind BLOWN OUT OF YOUR SKULL.

Somewhere around here I have a link to a KILLER video showing the difference.
      Let me try to find it for you...

EDIT: - Here ya go. Dig on THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1HW...ature=youtu.be

P.S. How good is ML RAW? On my 6D it will only do about 800p. (The 6D in Magic Lantern cannot record full 1080p) ...but even at only 800p the RAW image blows away the non-RAW image even if I record it out to a Atomos Ninja Blade and record it in 1080p ProResHQ.
      It's THAT GOOD.
      Last edited by DPStewart; 10-28-2015, 10:33 PM.
      __________________________________________________ ____________________
      Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

That was a good sample of what ML can do. But just in case the OP might wonder about the 3X crop in that video, its not something that the shooter "enlarged" or zoomed in post, 3X crop in ML parlance is a feature when you press the zoom, you are engaging 1:1 pixel by pixel recording in the zoomed area. Thus it is sharper than the recording using normal 1X recording which is IIRC, either line skipping or binning.
        Ted Ramasola
        Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

The only reason I see to not use the 5DMKIII until URSA Mini is if you need framerates higher than 24p. The RAW hack is pretty much a one trick pony at 1080p24. People have shot all kinds of different frame sizes to get higher FPS, but in the end, it is 1080p24 for constant reliable results. The NX-1 does make very nice images. It is more of a decision about RAW vs 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by New_Zealand View Post
            If I understand this right the 5d mkIII is 1k and if I download ML it will jump to 2k using RAW?
            Full HD, 1920x1080, is not 1K it's 1.92K (almost 2K). 2K is 2048x1080 and 4K is 4096 x 2160

The NX1 can resolve more than the 5D III but you have to decide wether that's important to you. If you plan on reframing a lot then maybe, otherwise I wouldn't think it's worth the upgrade to 4K considering the 5D III raw is pretty sharp. Another thing to consider is that when upgrading to 4K you might need to upgrade your computer and you will definitly have more archival costs.

The URSA mini looks promising but so far black magic hasn't fully proven themselves. Sensor issues, hot pixels, poor low light and lack of IR cut filters make the amazing specs a lot less amazing.
            Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

If basing only on DSLR type cameras that shoot 4k, the file sizes are just small compared to huge sizes of RAW CDNG files generated from MLRAW. And 4k mov files are quite manageable even on my old more than 5 year old PC, though I have upgraded the GPU.
              Ted Ramasola
              Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

I've been recording 1920x1280 on my 5Diii at 24fps without dropping frames. True, it's not 4K, but it gives me a little extra leeway if I want to tweak my framing in post.
                QuickHitRecord.com

Comment

What type of CF card are you using QuickHitRecord?

Comment

I can record continuously 24/25p in 1080p, 30p in 1920 x 818 (2.35), 50p in 1792 x 628 (16:9) and 1920 x 508 (2.35).
                    The only problem in 50p is that you have to stretch your image back vertically by x 1.61, easy but something to have in mind, even with less resolution the image quality is stunning, and that's the main reason I kept the 5D3 with ML instead of the Blackmagic Pocket for raw, well that and the lack of moire, plus it takes great pictures/timelapses, and it's weatherproof, full frame, the batteries last forever, etc, etc. I'm using two Komputerbay 64GB x1000 and one 128GB x1066, all perform perfectly after two years, not a single hiccup.

Comment

Originally posted by _Steven_ View Post
                      What type of CF card are you using QuickHitRecord?
                      I'm using a KomputerBay 256GB 1066x card. In over a year of use, I haven't had any problems (though some reviewers on Amazon have had some problems, so there's some luck of the draw there).
                      QuickHitRecord.com

Comment

Working...
                      X