Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

third party wide angle lens...will there be difference in the video quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

third party wide angle lens...will there be difference in the video quality?

Hi all,

i am planning to buy third party lens for my 5d mark iii body. i wanted to ask that will there be difference in the shots taken by this lens compared to the ones taken with canon lens.

Say, 24-105mm is my primary lens that i use and i plan to buy samyang or tokina wide angle lens, now will there be visible difference in the videos taken by these lens?

kindly enlighten,

regards

It depends on the specific lenses you compare. There are good and bad Canon lenses, and good and bad third party lenses. Go here for a visual representation of what to expect with different lenses, in terms of sharpness.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
      It depends on the specific lenses you compare. There are good and bad Canon lenses, and good and bad third party lenses. Go here for a visual representation of what to expect with different lenses, in terms of sharpness.
      well, what i meant is in terms of color quality. i just want that the final video should not look like it has been shot with two different lens in terms of quality.

Comment

Different lenses have different color casts. With modern stuff, none should have a strong tint, they tend to be "correct". But if you're very, very demanding, then they usually don't match, even in a high-end cinema set like the Zeiss Compact Primes mk1 (link).

Summary: if that's what's bothering you, decide which lenses you're interested in, and look for specific reviews and tests. Keeping in mind that some people are nearly impossible to satisfy, while others will go with almost anything.

Comment

I find that most of the time in real-life scenarios, with modern lenses, there is more colour-balance difference introduced by different lighting casts/reflections/light angles etc than there is by my lenses. Basically any movement of the camera, change in the lighting over time (which is always changing with daylight, even over the space of a few minutes), change is composition, etc will result is a slightly different ambient light balance which will be more significant than any colour cast from the lens. This would be a different case on perfectly lit and custom-built set, but in real world use I don't think many modern lenses will give you any colour-balance hassles.
          VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
          Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
          Adobe CC 2018

Comment

samyang is sharper than all other 14mm lenses....except for the nikkor 14-24mm en the zeiss 15mm. Both cost a lot of money and the nikkor is well not for canon unfortunately. Canon now does have a 11-24 which is great as they say ( have not used it) but expensive.
            14mm is not extremely wide on crop though...in that case tokina 11-16mm will be your best choice i guess ( you have ff but for other who also wonder what to get for really wide).

If you talk about 24mm wide then dont buy anything else unless aperture is the thing you want to improve on. Then you will see some difference between sigma 24mm 1.8 and canon 24mm 1.4 ii but not that much in video to have a real effect on your work. In photography the difference is very big....sigma 20mm/24/28 suck for photography. I would call them specially 20mm worthless unless you find a very good one.

then we come to 16mm..best choice would be the canon 16-35mm f/4 is....you could get a older and cheaper canon 17-35mm 2.8

Good luck don't worry about sharpness too much for video.
            Last edited by aras; 03-14-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

thanks all of you for your comments. i am planning to buy tokina 16-28 for my 5d mark iii (accepting the fact that tokina 16-28 is heavy and flares heavily).

i have canon 24-105 as my primary lens and hence i asked the query. i just wanted to know that using different lens does not end up like two opposite camera footage.

Comment

Aside from slight color differences there also may be a difference in contrast, bokeh (character of out of focus regions), and various optical defects between two lenses. Prime lenses tend to have higher contrast than zoom lenses and fewer compromises in optical design. You can only know what will work for you by testing and that testing should include knowing which issues are possible to correct in post. You can rent lenses to compare them.

Comment

RE: Tokˇna 16-28: it doesnt' take filters, which will often mean you have to use a high shuter speed or very narrow aperture. Make sure you're fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                    RE: Tokˇna 16-28: it doesnt' take filters, which will often mean you have to use a high shuter speed or very narrow aperture. Make sure you're fine with that.
                    I would not like to have shallow dof shots with uwa lens...i wouldn't mind shooting at f20 and decreasing the iso...i guess that would be enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X