Just a quickie :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quickie :p

As the title suggest before my head hits the pillow.....

I currently have 3 prime lenses 14, 50, 85 mm and was looking at supplementing these with a 24 and 35 however I am now thinking it may be better to purchase a standard zoom 24-70 or 24-105 as the lenses I was originally considering were both manual.... Now manual lenses are good for what will be my main focus (video) but I am more and more frequently being asked to photograph weddings/ events etc and find it hard to use the manuals effectively without the autofocus setting.....my thinking goes along the lines of standard zoom would allow me to have both 24-35mm settings for video work albeit at slightly higher f stops and the use of critical
    autofocus during the hustle and bustle of a wedding...

cost at wise the two primes would cost between 700-900 gbp so really if I go down the zoom route my budget would be around that or for instance I could pick up a second hand canon 24-105mm for around 400gbp. Other lenses I have looked at include the tamron 24-70 which gets mixed reviews although if you get a 'good un' they say it's better than another contender the canon 24-70 mk 1..... I suppose I should include the new 24-70II but that is over my budget...

what at avenue would you go down primes or zoom? Baring in mind I primarily do video but really need a decent autofocus lens for photo? Which lens would you recommend?

probably shouldn't attempt to write these just before bedtime but I hope you get the idea...

many thanks in advance

so no-one has any views on the above lenses?? or this is in the wrong section?

Comment

I like my 70-200mm 2.8 lens but only have two lens at the moment the other one is a 50mm 1.4.

Comment

The Canon 24-105 F4L is a great all around image stabilized lens. I use it more than any other lens. I also have the 70-200 F2.8 II, 16-35 F2.8 II, and 50 1.4. These lenses cover everything I need. The 24-70 F2.8 II looks better than the 24-105, however the range isn't as useful and no IS.
        I also use the 24-105 with a Speedbooster on the Sony FS700- a very useful range; IS is very helpful.

Comment

I also use the 24-105 very frequently for video due to the great range and the IS. However, if you're using it primarily to shoot photos, it may be a bit soft and the 24-70 F2.8 is probably a better option, since it's sharper, faster, and the lack of IS doesn't matter as much as it does for video.

Comment

for me: primes
            in general, they are faster, sharper, and with better bokeh
            of course, there are exceptions
            and of course, zooms are much more convenient

Comment

It sounds like you're making a switch in the type of shooting you do. If you're shooting events, do you have enough time to swap lenses? Can you focus that quickly/accurately? For me, zooms have made more sense for event shooting.
              As far as which one, that will also depend on your style. If you like getting those intimate up close portraits, the 70-200 2.8 is hard to beat, but it's expensive. The 24-70 f2.8 is a nicer image than the 24-105 f4, but again you'll have to pay for it. The 24-105 is an adequate video lens, but I don't like it nearly as much for stills.

Comment

Working...
              X