would you use this rig......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you use this rig......

Hi Guys new here and looking for a rig for my canon 5d and after carrying out research till my head hurts i am no further forward....so many to choose from etc etc obviously i am on a budget as i have other considerations to erm consider!! Anyway i have seen an fs700 zacuto rig here on the forums and was wondering if anyone else has used/modified this rig for use with a 5d or would recommend it as a possible solution for my rigging woes....should i stay away and go for something that has been designed specifically for dslr and not as the name would suggest the FS700?

Many thanks in advance

Are you looking for a cage or shoulder rig?

Comment

I googled the Zacuto and its close but I want the camera on my shoulder and the rig as small as possible. Think Aaton. This Vocas (I know it cost too much) is what I want my cameras sitting like, but EVF is a must to have it on your shoulder.

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 7.40.46 PM.jpg

Comment

Yes I am looking for a rig rather than cage....just wondering if this would suit 5d... Comes with a evf

Comment

So do you have to take it apart to put it on sticks ? I mean that vocas rig.
          Brian Murphy
          Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
          Sony FS5 MKII-Sony FX-6 (on order) - Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
          Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
          Sigma 24-70/F2.8 Art
          Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
          DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
          DJI Mavic Mini
          Konovas motorized slider kit.
          Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

Comment

Would something like this work - it connects to the tripod and slides off for shoulder use.

Here is a different setup without much stuff on it. But it has room to add focus and monitor. Lighter version.

Last edited by New_Zealand; 03-04-2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

for an heavy setup, no way you can use a rig that has the shoulder pad set at one end.
              this would mean you got all the weight on the handles.
              So the best is to put the batteries and disk recorder behind the shoulder to counterbalance the camera and monitor.
              a top handle is a luxury unless you use your rig a lot in the field, but for the price, it is usually something you shoudl consider.
              you can build a nice and resonably priced with parts from tilta or lanparte.
              The nice thing with such parts, is they are very modular and adaptable, so you can use the same rig for many combination of cameras and your rig
              will probably survive several cameras, so the investement is clever.
              The pictures here under show the same Lanparte parts assembled in different configurations.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=lanp...w=1191&bih=986

Comment

Originally posted by BrianMurphy View Post
                So do you have to take it apart to put it on sticks ? I mean that vocas rig.
                I have my pad on a quick plate that slides onto the tripod plate. It works really well and puts the camera right on my shoulder. I got new grips on the way. Then i clip a lead bag to the back for counter weight. I can let go and it stays balanced on my shoulder, which is what you really want.

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 10.05.25 AM.jpg
                Last edited by thekreative; 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

New Zealand the photo's help a lot as that is very similar to how the fs700 rig looks although it has a big counterweight at the back....i think i'll need to look for some handles for the front and a decent matte box and ff .......if you don't mind me asking what kind of rig is that??

Comment

If you're going to use a separate monitor or EVF anyway, go with a Tilta or Lanparte and Sony/Panasonic/JVC wedge quick-release plate. This maintains the balance between shoulder and sticks.

Comment

The Tilta baseplate was a good choice for me. Front and rear rails with an integrated, low-profile shoulder pad: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

You can then put any kind of handles you want that fit on the 15mm rods. Lots of neat parts from here: http://www.coollcd.com
                      Nate Haustein

PXW-FX9 / FCPX

Comment

Don't know maybe i should pull this thread back in.....i am purchasing a fs700 rig for use with a 5d mk 3......hopefully i can modify it to suit my needs and was wondering if anyone here has done anything similar?

Comment

I'm sorry. I should have read more closely

I own the (similar) C-Shooter rig from Zacuto, and while it's nice, I didn't think it was worth what they were charging. The only thing that's really worth it in that package you're looking at on the forum classifieds is the baseplate itself: you can get rods for cheap, an identical moulded shoulder pad is $25 from eBay, and the counterweight is overpriced in my opinion. It might be worth the price of admission, but only just...

There real question here is whether or not the 5Dmk3 battery door will clear the edge of the plate. Also, whether or not the camera spin on the baseplate when connected with a single 1/4" screw (probably). I think you'd be happier with a purpose-made, lighter-weight DSLR baseplate, but that's just my opinion. The rig in question certainly does look versatile for many cameras outside of DSLRs.
                          Nate Haustein

PXW-FX9 / FCPX

Comment

I have ended up with a sort of franken rig. The base premise is Tilta with handles, top handle, ff and the old style dslr shoulderpad and counterweight. I had some left over rails from my previous shoot35 badeplate that i like better.
                            I bought a c clamp setup from Lanparte and the sympla baseplate from Manfrotto.
                            This enables me to slide the camera off and go tripod in an.instant.

It also gives me two coldshoe mounts for audio gear if needed.

The freespace could accomodate the FS cameras and dslr cameras but you need a monitor in both cases since I removed the offset link. I think its a wee bit low for the Canon C cams.
                            Last edited by legrevedotcom; 03-04-2014, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X