Hardware hack for 5D3 coming!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware hack for 5D3 coming!?

$1000 hardware hack to improve dynamic range, and considerable detail increase?? I'm listening~

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/h...ming-soon-cr1/

Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing before?
    Just add Magic Lantern and increased frame rate and we're set!

if it can get better DR and still record ML-RAW video, it's my next camera
    my first reaction would be to think that this is highly unlikely, but Canon uses off-sensor ADCs, so there's a slim chance this may be true

Comment

But wouldn't a hardware hack mean that ML would have to "re-invent" their software to be able to interpret and talk to the new hardware? I mean…. already they aren't making efforts to port to 1.21 even though that would be really nice for a clean throughput to monitor. Imagine a whole new sensor.

Having said that…. I'm fantasising that the hardware hackers will be able to deliver 4K aqc and replace the SD port to use fast SD cards…. that would be sweet. Then ML would probably be interested in making another version Also 13-14 stops of DR would be great...

Comment

Originally posted by legrevedotcom View Post
        I'm fantasising that the hardware hackers will be able to deliver 4K aqc and replace the SD port to use fast SD cards…. that would be sweet. Then ML would probably be interested in making another version Also 13-14 stops of DR would be great...
        +1

Also, perhaps a hardware hack could lead to some sort of compressed raw.
        Kahn Artist Filmworks
        FaceBook

Comment

Magic Lantern is on of the main reasons I bought a 5D. But I would definitely give up in camera raw, zebras, and focus assist for a couple stops of latitude and higher IQ closer to the C100. Paired with the new atomos ninja 2, you'd have your focus assist, etc back. Then why not just buy a C100..? I shot with a C100 for a year and loved it. I just like the 5Ds size, versatility, and full frame sensor that much more. If they can give us around 120 frames/sec. I'll be one of the first in line!!

Comment

The chances of them messing with the sensor or the digic processor are basically zero.

If this pans out (and that's a really huge IF), the most likely scenario is that they're replacing the off-sensor ADCs that Canon uses: the sensor sends out analogue data, then the ADCs convert it to digital data and send it to the processor. By using ADCs with less noise, you get better low light abilities, and increased DR (because the full well capacity hasn't changed, and the noise floor is now lower).

If (again, huge IF) someone has found a way to replace Canon's ADCs with more quiet ones that have exactly the same structure of output (i.e. they send out a stream of 14-bit values with exactly the same format, so the processor can understand them) (they also need to find a way to detach the original ADCs from the board and solder the new ones), then the way the processor works is completely unchanged.

That means that you'd have the same codec options as today, the same picture profiles, the same ML capabilities, etc. It will just be working with a cleaner digital signal from the ADCs. This may also mean that, since picture styles and codec already kill a big chunk of the DR that's arriving at the processor, in order to get advantage of this improved DR you would have to shoot RAW video.

Again: huge IF, and all just speculation on what would be the most likely scenario if this was actually true.

Comment

Working...
            X