5D iii - M.L. RAW dynamic range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D iii - M.L. RAW dynamic range

With magic lanterns raw, how is the dynamic range of the camera?
    I own the T2i. Is it going to be better or the same?

How about kineraw for the budget conscious?

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11462/5...-image-quality
    Dennis Hingsberg

Comment

On the 5D3, RAW video has about a stop better DR than H.264 video (my measure) (slightly above 12 stops vs slightly above 11)

Comment

Depends. For example, ISO 6400 has considerably more dynamic range on RAW because you can take down the highlights way more than in H264.

Comment

oh, forgot to say: I measured it at ISO 100

Comment

I've found you get a stop or stop and a half more highlight detail, but it becomes desaturated in the highlights. The image is sharper and the noise is more defined, easier to remove in post.

Take a JPEG and RAW shot with your t2i and compare what you get after pulling down highlight detail in ACR. The difference will be very similar to the improvement you can expect from the 5D in h264 and RAW. The 5D also has much better low light and slightly better DR (arguably) than the t2i and obviously no aliasing even in h264.

The workflow for RAW is borderline unusable last I checked, however.

Comment

Workflow is being solved: Premiere CC already can work with DNG files in real time. It does clip some DR, though, but the ML guys could rewrite their RAW2DNG tools to avoid that. Or you can edit in Premiere and finish in AE, as Stu Maschwitz always suggests, but then you have to edit without knowing what can be recovered in the highlights of your footage (that's where Premiere clips the most).

Tests with BMC footage on Premiere CC

Comment

Originally posted by Policar View Post
                I've found you get a stop or stop and a half more highlight detail, but it becomes desaturated in the highlights. The image is sharper and the noise is more defined, easier to remove in post.

Take a JPEG and RAW shot with your t2i and compare what you get after pulling down highlight detail in ACR. The difference will be very similar to the improvement you can expect from the 5D in h264 and RAW. The 5D also has much better low light and slightly better DR (arguably) than the t2i and obviously no aliasing even in h264.

The workflow for RAW is borderline unusable last I checked, however.
                I've been shooting some projects on it and just roundtripping between Resolve and Premiere Pro. Create proxies with Resolve, edit in Premiere, export XML back into Resolve to grade and then finish in Premiere. Totally usable if you ask me!

Comment

Working...
                X