Trouble installing ML RAW for 5DMKIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble installing ML RAW for 5DMKIII

Hey guys, so first time installed a nightly build from OCT 02, I have a Lexar 1000x 32GB card and in camera benchmark is only giving me an average of 18.5MB/s write and read! That's Globaldraw off, something seems wrong here no?

Also, when actually attempting to record RAW at 1920x1080 or 818 it literally won't record passed a few seconds before it drops frames and stops :/
    Last edited by chlywly; 10-03-2013, 11:43 AM.
    www.vladimirdruts.com

Have you set it to record to the CF and not the SD and have you turned off raw in photo settings in the canon software. I also set my jpeg to the lowest size.

Comment

You want to set it to RAW for photo mode. That is the best setting. There isn't an October 2nd build. And yep it is the SD card though it would be great if ML could disable the SD card when shooting video.
      Kahn Artist Filmworks
      FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Kahn View Post
        You want to set it to RAW for photo mode. That is the best setting. There isn't an October 2nd build. And yep it is the SD card though it would be great if ML could disable the SD card when shooting video.
        I have to turn it off to get long record times.

From the Stephen Mick how to:
        "5. In the Canon menus, set your photo mode to JPEG/S3only (turn off RAW photo shooting). This frees up memory inthe camera, allowing for more Magic Lantern mojo to happenin video mode. "

Comment

Originally posted by thekreative View Post
          I have to turn it off to get long record times.

From the Stephen Mick how to:
          "5. In the Canon menus, set your photo mode to JPEG/S3only (turn off RAW photo shooting). This frees up memory inthe camera, allowing for more Magic Lantern mojo to happenin video mode. "

The guide is great but that's the old advice. The current recommendation is to shoot in photo RAW.
          Kahn Artist Filmworks
          FaceBook

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for this info, I never tried changing my settings recently, now I can confirm that even with the mkII I can now shoot higher resolutions than previously and at same time set stills to RAW. This is good for those moments you want to snap a still while in raw video mode.

Sept 26 build by a.d for mkII can shoot continuously at 1856 x 1004. Even with stills set to RAW.
            Last edited by Ted Ramasola; 10-04-2013, 11:56 AM.
            Ted Ramasola
            Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

You're welcome Ted. I just shot a short on the 5D3 and it looks great. 4 hard days of shooting and the camera performed almost flawlessly. Maybe had to do one battery drop.

FYI if you format the card (or for other cameras that cannot shoot exFAT) if you get file splitting they can be easily combined with the command line copy /b command.

The few clips I thought I lost were actually split and were easily recovered. Have to say the 5D3 is my favorite camera ever thanks to ML RAW
              Kahn Artist Filmworks
              FaceBook

Comment

I just took myself through a project shooting 5D3 raw filling two 32GB cards and the shoot went fine but I find the post process to be much to time consuming. Granted I'm spoiled with great images and files from my F3/EX3 that work without the hassle of converting and get you out of raw. I'm putting raw shooting to rest because it's not really worth it. It looks great but not as great as the F3 in the end.

Comment

* Great to see ML+RAW still improving in significant ways

* If you can't handle the RAW workflow, consider an overnight transcode: shoot, copy footage to your computer, do a basic color correction (white balance and exposure), and, overnight, transcode everything to something like prores (at 1fps, you can do a 128GB card, or 25 minutes, in 10 hours), then go on from there and delete the RAW files. That will give you 95% of the IQ of a full-RAW workflow, with 5% of the pain (in fact, the only downside I see to this workflow is that you have to apply a basic color correction to all clips, even the ones that will end up unused)

Comment

Samuel, what workflow are you referring to?
                    Have not been using ML for couple of months, what has changed?
                    film/video: www.vimeo.com/olegkalyan

Comment

To get editable files out of the raw files is pretty straight forward but when you want the best out of it then it's time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by OlegKalyan View Post
                        Samuel, what workflow are you referring to?
                        Have not been using ML for couple of months, what has changed?
                        I don't think anything has changed. Just the usual options:
                        * full RAW: use RAW files from beginning to end; way too painful, I don't think anybody does this
                        * full RAW with proxies for edit: create low-quality proxies, edit with that, when it's done, relink to original RAW files, do color correction and grading with that (still quite painful, in the last steps)
                        * prores near-log transcode: run a fast color correction (just WB and exposure) and transcode to prores with a near-log profile (dial down all the sliders for contrast in ACR and you should be set), then delete the RAW files and work with the prores files from there onwards (this is the one I was proposing, it really is a very high-quality workflow, with relatively little pain)
                        * prores transcode: same as above, but with more color work before you create the prores files, and less of it afterwards; the more you do this, the better the final results, but also the more work is being done for nothing, since you're working on clips that won't end up in the final edit; the difference in IQ with respect to the prevous option is very small, it's not easy but I would try not to get obsessed with getting perfect color in the transcode step, prores holds very well when pushed around (and same with other similar codecs, like DNxHD or cineform)

Comment

Just wanted to add that the irony of the Magic Lantern "hack" is that shooting raw on the 5D3 gave me really NO issues, beautiful footage and the camera was a workhorse that didn't miss a beat.

The bigger irony is this: I have had issues with Davinci Resolve, Premiere and my Western Digital hard drive array.
                          Kahn Artist Filmworks
                          FaceBook

Comment

What issues do you have with da vinci Steve? Did you try the new 10.0B version? If you have, what did they fix?
                            Ted Ramasola
                            Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

Hey Ted.

First off the scopes don't work on my powerful computer. They go batty even when I'm not playing video but just looking at a still frame. This is the 10 beta 2.

Resolve10 scopes.jpg

Resolve10 scopes2.jpg

Again, this is on a still frame. My computer is doing no work here - I look at the CPU in the task manager and it is idle. Yet the scopes get fried unless I downrez and look at NTSC instead of HD.

Also, I treid creating DNxHD 36 8bit proxies this weekend and the encoder would randomly quit with the error: "Failed to encode video frame"

Posted both errors on the BM forum without an answer yet...
                              Kahn Artist Filmworks
                              FaceBook

Comment

Working...
                              X