5D Mark III "Stacatto" Motion - All footage looks like fast shutter speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D Mark III "Stacatto" Motion - All footage looks like fast shutter speed

All the footage I've shot, no matter the shutter speed, 1/50 or 1/30 or whatever, has a "stacatto" look to it. Like the shutter speed is too high or there's not enough motion blur. I've noticed this on lots of 5D footage online too. Does anyone else notice it compared to other brands of cameras? Is it just the 5D style? Am I just crazy?

24p ? or youve changed to 60 p accidentally ?
    steadicam operator based in Vancouver BC

web:http://www.steadipanda.com/

Comment

Yep 24p

Comment

Maybe you could run a kind-of-scientific test: find something with a strong light-shadow vertical boundary and do a few whip pans (some left, some right) with 180 shutter. Then look at three consecutive frames, and check if the width of the blur in the central one is about half the average two-frame displacement.

Comment

Is in camera sharpening turned on? What aperture are you shooting at?

Comment

24p is staccato by nature.

Comment

The sharp high rez look raises it ugly head...
              Carbonized Member

Comment

Are you speaking in terms of raw or compressed?

I notice, in raw (I haven't tried compressed yet), that 1/60 @ 24fps looks a little faster than normal. When I shoot @ 1/50 it looks smooth though. I'd say there's slightly less motion blur w/ the 5D3 than with my Scarlet (this is just opinion...haven't tested this).
                Director / Cinematographer / VFX
                www.ryanlightbourn.net

ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE creature feature available now on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and more!
                Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SiE7U7sbo

Twitter - twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
                Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
                IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871

Comment

It could be the fact that both Vimeo and Youtube stutter like crazy sometimes.

AND... this is the big one....Don't forget on import of an image sequence AE stupidly defaults to 30 fps. So you drop that DNG sequence into a 23.976 fps composition and then render and it looks like crap. I think this is where the misguided notion that somehow ML raw video has a strange motion cadence comes from. Its not the camera or the format, its the mistakes in After Effects or other programs that render it incorrectly.

Comment

Are you shooting handheld or on a tripod ?

If handheld, did you use a stabilized lens or a stabilized rig?

If you shot on a tripod, are you obeying the 7-second rule when panning?

Comment

Working...
                    X