IS Lenses wider than 24mm for Sailing Thriller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS Lenses wider than 24mm for Sailing Thriller

I'm shooting a sailing thriller on a Cal 34 Sailboat in Marina Del Rey and Santa Monica Bay in September and will likely be using a Canon 6D or 5D III shooting raw. Because of the tight cabin areas a wide angle lens is necessary, and while we may do plenty of interior shooting at the dock, we will have people rocking the boat, and also on the water, we want to get some nice wide shots both on the boat and from a follow boat. It would be nice to have IS but am not sure if there is anything out there Lens-wise that has IS and is wider than 24mm. Anyone know of anything, even another brand in EF mount?

Any other suggestions. On iPhone so I apologize for spelling.

you can learn more about the film here: http://sheld65.wix.com/red-sea-movie
    Actor, Writer, Director, Producer

Enter360 Media
    Actor Website
    Facebook
    Instagram

sigpic

No stabilized lens wider than 24mm for Canon. Widest is 24mm. To go wider you could try a hack: use a stabilized EF-S lens on your full-frame body, either by hacking the lens or (more safely) using the shortest Canon macro extension tube. 17-55 IS comes to mind.

Hacks:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=439133
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954

Or go Sony E-mount 10-18/f4 OSS.

Or: add a screw-on wide angle adapter.
    Last edited by aly324; 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I don't believe there is any lens for full frame wider than 24mm with IS. I would highly recommend a hand held stabilizer. I have done a bunch of fishing videos on power boats and drift boats on rivers. The only way to get good shots is to use the stabilizer. I have a new 24mm f/2.8 IS and I use it all the time on my crop cam because the image is so good and the IS is amazing on that lens for stabilizer work.

Believe it or not a new GoPro Hero3 Black on a stabilizer does a pretty incredible job for work in or on a boat. Again, it's all about the stabilizer, but the ultra wide field of view with 1080-60p and for those scenarios when it will get wet, the GoPro can be an incredible tool. With Protune and the right processing you can get it's 45mbps clips to blend incredibly well with DSLR footage.

Here's a fishing short I filmed exclusively with a T3i and the 24mm f/2.8 IS and a Hero3 Black. The whole thing was shot on a stabilizer. There's only a few shots on the boats, but you'll get the idea of the IQ those cams can do. With a full frame like the 5D3 the 24mm should work pretty well. The occational ultra wide with the GoPro could work perfectly if you have enough light. If it's dark forget it. That thing is horrible in low light. https://vimeo.com/66294994

In any case, for boat work of any kind a stabilizer is mandatory, regardless of what lens you shoot with.

Cheers,
      Pete

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have a couple of GoPros actualy and planned to use them in the shoot, but they are Hero 2's. Perhaps I'll sell both my 2's and all the gadgets and 3D kit and get one Black.

As for on the boat shooting, I don't think a steady cam is a very safe option on the boat, even with safety divers, but it's a possibility. I hear some steady cam vests have quick releases in case someone falls in, and we would obviously tether the person in, but... I'm not sure a wide angle will do well on a shoulder rig, but perhaps we can run some sort of tripod or car mount system or something. I'll have to look into that. The above deck shots will all be full daylight so I don't have to worry about darkness. To the contrary, I will have to ND the hell out of my lenses.

Also, when I said, *I'm* shooting, what I meant was that it's my film. I'm starring in it and directing it, as well as producing. I also wrote the film. I'll be hiring a DP and line producer and already have my co-producer doubling up as 1st AD.
        Actor, Writer, Director, Producer

Enter360 Media
        Actor Website
        Facebook
        Instagram

sigpic

Comment

Just rent some things and make sure you have enough time to do test shots and get the images you want.

Shooting from a follow boat gets really choppy really fast. Boats are very hard.

Comment

I stumbled across a very cheap wide lens that will work on full frame yesterday, it's a vivitar 13mm f2.8, which is pretty decent and it was only 300.00, practically throw away. But the reviews are pretty good, and it's not to be confused with the rokinon 14mm, it supposedly has a different number of elements that make up the lens, (vivitar being better) No is, but being so wide on full frame, you could get by with a decent handheld setup.

Comment

It's the same lens, common sense, check the elements on Vivitar's website, BHPhoto just have their info messed up.. (they both have same angle of view and number of elements)
              http://www.vivitar.com/products/105/...ies/855/13mm-c
              http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/samyan...-nikon-ae.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon Charron View Post
                Thanks guys.

Also, when I said, *I'm* shooting, what I meant was that it's my film. I'm starring in it and directing it, as well as producing. I also wrote the film. I'll be hiring a DP and line producer and already have my co-producer doubling up as 1st AD.
                I would make my lens selection after proper preproduction tests with your DP. You may end up shooting completely different once you run your location tests.

Comment

Originally posted by jpblack View Post
                  BHPhoto just have their info messed up
                  I think it's Vivitar that have their specs messed up, as this is a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 that is simply re-branded as a Vivitar lens. ( Samyang lenses are sold under about 5 different brands )

It's supposed to be a pretty good lens, provided you can live with it's un-correctable complex distortion : LensTip.com Review of Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 Lens

Comment

Edit: Just checked that BHPhoto has corrected the specs, sorry @TheDingo, so ignore the BHPhoto related info..

I fail to understand what you're saying, BHPhoto have messed up the specs on the Vivitar 13mm, did you check both links? These are the specs, that's what I'm saying, they're the same rebranded lens. Sold it a couple of months ago after 2 years of ownership, it is what it is..
                    Last edited by jpblack; 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpblack View Post
                      I fail to understand what you're saying, BHPhoto have messed up the specs on the Vivitar 13mm, did you check both links?
                      The Vivitar 13mm lens is actually a re-branded Samyang 14mm lens. There is no 13mm lens. Vivitar is fudging the specs of this lens.

Comment

@TheDingo

Dude! Take the time to read the thread, that's what I said to @maranfilms. Stop repeating yourself for absolutely no reason. We're saying the same thing. wtf..

Comment

Working...
                        X