on 1DC where should my greys and whites be on a 0-255 waveform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on 1DC where should my greys and whites be on a 0-255 waveform

I'm using a SmallHD DP7Pro Oled monitor to view the image coming out of my 1DC and I'm shooting in Canon Log mode. As I understand it, in Canon Log my whites need to be at 63% IRE and my 18% mid-grey level needs to be at 32% IRE. The problem is that the DP7 Pro monitor uses 0-255 scale as opposed to 0-100% to measure luminance. SmallHD told me that they're coming out with a firmware update to enable 0-100% scale, but until then I need to know what the equivalent would be in 0-255 terms.

Thanks very much in advance.

Originally posted by Nicholas Natteau View Post
    I'm using a SmallHD DP7Pro Oled monitor to view the image coming out of my 1DC and I'm shooting in Canon Log mode. As I understand it, in Canon Log my whites need to be at 63% IRE and my 18% mid-grey level needs to be at 32% IRE. The problem is that the DP7 Pro monitor uses 0-255 scale as opposed to 0-100% to measure luminance. SmallHD told me that they're coming out with a firmware update to enable 0-100% scale, but until then I need to know what the equivalent would be in 0-255 terms.

Thanks very much in advance.
    Seeing as there are many views, but no answers on this. Maybe you should post in the CineEos section, as there are potentially more c-log and DP7 users over there.

I have no hands on with the SmallHD DP7. Though I imagine it depends on whether you are using View Assist through the HDMI or not. If you have view assist "on", the DP7 would not need to adjust for the new grey point, and you should be able to expose normally, as you are getting a simulated correct image being fed to the monitor. Hope that gets you in the ball park.

Comment

Also try....

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...966-1D-C-Users

Comment

Hi James, thank you for your help and sorry for posting in the wrong section. Will repost this elsewhere then. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Natteau View Post
          Hi James, thank you for your help and sorry for posting in the wrong section. Will repost this elsewhere then. Thanks again.
          one other thing, as it may come in handy, C-Log is underexposing on my camera. I know log profiles look darker anyway, but C-Log is actually exposing differently. I confirm this by taking raw photos and video with different picture styles in the same exposure. C-log is getting more highlight information than a raw photo, and less shadow information than other video settings, so I am assuming it is underexposing.

So, View Assist may be accurate to your C-Log exposure, but C-Log is different than everything else, so do not expose in another setting, or with another camera, light meter, etc, until you get an idea of where the exposure is for you. For me, C-Log is roughly a stop and a bit under exposing compared to the raw.

(and ofcourse you are always welcome. 1D-C is an odd camera to categorize too)

Comment

Working...
          X