No announcement yet.

Poll/Question: Canon 5D RAW User's Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be testing the 14 stop build over the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know if there's anything worth adding.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

Great looking forward to it!
      Michael Rockmore

Comment

I'd definitely find it useful, and would really appreciate it.
        For Sale:
        - BeSteady One Gimbal Stabilizer & Wireless Remote Control
        - DP4 w/ EVF w/ Canon Battery Plate
        - Canon 70D, 50mm f/1.8, 5 batteries, original box/accesories
        - Lenses: Zeiss, Tokina, Fish Eye, More
        - Zacuto Follow Focus

My most recent short: http://vimeo.com/39867336
        http://www.corybraun.com
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3715394/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm working on "The Guide" now, and should have the first segment (a quick-start guide) ready in the next couple of days.
          Stephen Mick
          Owner/Creative Director
          Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Anyone who can fact-check the "quick-start" section of the User Guide for me, shoot me a PM.
            Stephen Mick
            Owner/Creative Director
            Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Originally posted by yoclay View Post
              It would be a great alternative to a certain guide which appears to be being sold for about $20 right now....you know the one I mean.
              I just got banned from the eoshd.com forum because I wrote more or less the following:

"Ironic that we have to pay for a manual to use something that someone else has made available to us for free.... ;) " and then something about forum users at dvx about to make a free version of the 5D raw guide and that I could easily see the same thing going for the 50D.

That's pretty close to what I wrote.

The post got moderated out, and from reading the remaining posts on the forum (Andrew Reid cleaned out that thread A LOT!) , I wasn't the only one who thought this was a curious case.
              But I guess he isn't one to take a bit of criticism.

Looking forward to seeing this DVX guide instead.

Comment

Major props to everyone contributing to this and not asking for money. I've contributed a number of times to ML and will continue to do so because they're creating something great and asking for donations rather than just compiling everyone else's work and charging $20 for the PDF.

Comment

So here's a rough outline of topics that we're working on for the Guide. Let me know if there are things you want to see included that aren't on this list.

Part One: Loading the Firmware

-Recommended CF Cards

-Installation: A Complete Step-By-Step Guide
                  1. Preparing Your Cards
                  2a. Making Your Cards Bootable (Mac)
                  2b. Making Your Cards Bootable (Win)
                  3. Formatting Your Cards in exFAT Mode
                  4. Copying the Firmware to the Cards
                  5. Activating the Firmware

-Tips and "Best Practices"

-Troubeshooting

Part Two: Getting Ready To Shoot

-Should You Shoot RAW?

-Setting Up ML Firmware For RAW Shooting

-Recommended Canon Menu Settings

-Resolution and Aspect Ratios Explained

-Must-Have Accessories for Shooting RAW

-Dealing With Audio

Part Three: Shooting ML RAW

-How To Get the Most Out of RAW

-Exposure (including ETTR and Auto-ETTR)

-Focus

-Overcranking

-Time-Lapse

-Shooting in Crop Modes

-Dual ISO Function

Part Four: Post-Production Workflows

-Media Management and Backup

-Preparing to Edit

-Transcoding Workflows

-Using Resolve with ML RAW (Proxy and DNG Workflows)

-Native Editing in Premiere with GingerHDR

-Working With LUTs (Add LUT Central)

-Grading RAW Files

-Mastering and Delivery
                  Stephen Mick
                  Owner/Creative Director
                  Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

PART ONE:
                    Here is a list and links to the latest and stable patches...

Comment

Updated the 5DIII Quickstart with additional info and images…

http://www.dvxuser.com/guides/ml_raw_guide_5DIII_qs.pdf
                      Stephen Mick
                      Owner/Creative Director
                      Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

It would be helpful to add audio, on set playback options as well as proxy editing solutions as well Stephen. One such thing would be to use an external recorder like the Ninja 2 to cover all three of those issues.

Unfortunately with firmware 1.13 the HDMI out isn't clean so at this point clean dual system recording (in case of failure) is not an option.

Thanks again for putting together this guide!
                        Kahn Artist Filmworks
                        FaceBook

Comment

Hey, Steve!

Right now, my understanding is that audio and playback are, for all practical purposes, not viable with ML RAW right now. I know the ML guys have been working on the audio side of things, and they'll continue to do so, and hopefully we'll get it at some point.

I've got a Ninja-2, but I haven't tried using it with my ML RAW 5D III yet.

My personal feelings are that RAW is best-suited to narrative work or controlled corporate shoots (stuff where you have a sound guy), or MOS shooting. As new features are enabled or enhanced, it might be more useful for other types of shooting, and I'll keep updating the Guide to reflect that.

Proxy editing and other workflows will be part of the final section of the guide, which I'm putting off until the rest is done. The Magic Lantern forums have a lot of great information on workflows, so you might check out the Raw Video forum over there in the meantime.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Steve Kahn View Post
                          It would be helpful to add audio, on set playback options as well as proxy editing solutions as well Stephen. One such thing would be to use an external recorder like the Ninja 2 to cover all three of those issues.

Unfortunately with firmware 1.13 the HDMI out isn't clean so at this point clean dual system recording (in case of failure) is not an option.

Thanks again for putting together this guide!
                          Stephen Mick
                          Owner/Creative Director
                          Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Agreed Stephen!

I'm just so excited to start a (narrative) project which has sound. I know dual ISO is sexy as hell. I'm beyond excited about that! But in thinking about the next project sound is paramount and the idea of syncing sound old school via a clap board (something I've never done) feels very scary.

Between dual ISO and ML exploring the use of the SD card alongside the CF and even raw itself in a vista-vision camera is just so exciting. Putting the pieces together and chomping at the bit to begin a proper project with 5D3 raw.

Cheers!
                            Kahn Artist Filmworks
                            FaceBook

Comment

I'm with you, amigo! What the ML guys are doing is pretty amazing. The quality of the images that come out of the camera are mind-blowing when you think of what the camera was designed to do.

And trust me… Don't be intimidated by manually syncing sound shot with a clapper. It's only slightly more complicated than auto-syncing, depending on your edit system.

Originally posted by Steve Kahn View Post
                              Agreed Stephen!

I'm just so excited to start a (narrative) project which has sound. I know dual ISO is sexy as hell. I'm beyond excited about that! But in thinking about the next project sound is paramount and the idea of syncing sound old school via a clap board (something I've never done) feels very scary.

Between dual ISO and ML exploring the use of the SD card alongside the CF and even raw itself in a vista-vision camera is just so exciting. Putting the pieces together and chomping at the bit to begin a proper project with 5D3 raw.

Cheers!
                              Stephen Mick
                              Owner/Creative Director
                              Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Mick View Post

And trust me… Don't be intimidated by manually syncing sound shot with a clapper. It's only slightly more complicated than auto-syncing, depending on your edit system.
                                It's a minor inconvenience that filmmakers managed to live with for a hundred years. I shot a narrative scene with just the sync beep, it was off by a few frames but A1ex has worked on the sync beep since then so it may be frame accurate now.
                                gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X