Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting 5D Mark III this week: Few questions....pls answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting 5D Mark III this week: Few questions....pls answer!

Hi all,

I am finally getting my 5d Mark III this week. i just want to ask few simple questions which will help me out.

1. i will be getting 60 mbps sandisk 16 gb cf cards. is 60mbps speed enough for all-i?

2. i will be getting 24-105 f4 kit lens and also 50mm f1.8. This 2 lens have different filter size and i will be getting nd filter. for which lens should i get nd filter? i am thinking of getting nd for 1.8 lens since i would be using this lens for shallow dof for interviews. further i feel nd for 24-105 would not be necessary since it is f4.

3. Important Question. When i pan from my subject which is in shadow to something in bright light, how do i get that gradual transition? i mean in video camera while panning i can manually change the iris ring which will make the transition from darker areas to brighter areas very smooth. how do i do that in dslr?

pls pls pls do help me out with this

1. Do you mean MB/s or Mb/s? 60 Mb/s is not enough. 60MB/s is fine.

2. You need ND for both.

3. You can't, unless you have de-clicked lenses, which you don't.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Hall View Post
      1. Do you mean MB/s or Mb/s? 60 Mb/s is not enough. 60MB/s is fine.

2. You need ND for both.

3. You can't, unless you have de-clicked lenses, which you don't.
      Thanks liam for the quick reply

i will be getting sandisk cf cards with read and write speed of 60 MB/s. will this be fine for all-i?

Regarding the declick lens that you mentioned, which unfortunately i don't have, can this issue be addressed by using variable nd filter?

thanks for your prompt reply.

Comment

60MB/s will be fine.

Yes, you can use a Vari-ND to smoothly and quickly change exposure, though I wouldn't recommend doing it whilst actually recording.
        Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Hall View Post
          60MB/s will be fine.

Yes, you can use a Vari-ND to smoothly and quickly change exposure, though I wouldn't recommend doing it whilst actually recording.
          thanks again for quick response, just why would you not recommend using vari-nd while recording?

Comment

Firstly, if you are using a mattebox or lens hood (like you should be) it would be very difficult to change the vari ND without getting your fingers in shot. Also, the double polarising effect of a vari ND isn't constant in terms of light transmission which makes it difficult to judge how much you need to turn the filter to get the right exposure.
            Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net

Comment

I would get one filter and a step-up ring from the small to largest size. ie get a 77mm nd for the 24-105 and a step-up ring for the 50mm up to 77mm. No need to buy 2 nd's. Step-up rings are super cheap on ebay.

Comment

thanks for your advice guys, i will look for a step up ring.

Another thing i wanted to ask about 24-105 lens is, since it is L series lens and 50mm f1.8 non-L lens will there be major difference when in the video if both the lens are used together for making videos?

The final output of all my work i.e corporate videos or documentaries will be on DVD format (720x576 25fps). if i export the final film in DVD format will there be change in motion since dslr shoots everything progressive?

Comment

Originally posted by payal_choksi View Post
                  thanks for your advice guys, i will look for a step up ring.
                  NDs for your 52mm diameter lens are much cheaper. You might just want to get a ND for such a small lens as well, to avoid the hassle of sharing a single ND while swapping lenses of very different sizes.

Another thing i wanted to ask about 24-105 lens is, since it is L series lens and 50mm f1.8 non-L lens will there be major difference when in the video if both the lens are used together for making videos?
                  All the differences are what you make them to be, having nothing to do with whether or not there is a red ring on your lenses.

The final output of all my work i.e corporate videos or documentaries will be on DVD format (720x576 25fps). if i export the final film in DVD format will there be change in motion since dslr shoots everything progressive?
                  Why would they? What was your concern?

BTW, for shooting ALL-i, 16GB cards seem too small. 32GB or bigger would make more sense. And if cost is a concern, why not use SD cards? 45MB/s SD cards are fast enough for ALL-i but cost a lot less.
                  Canon 5D III & 7D, 8-15L, 16-35L II, 24L II, 35L, 40STM, 50L, 85L II,
                  24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100 macro, 100-400L
                  Rode NTG-3 / NT4 / NT2000 / VideoMic Pro, AT 4053b,
                  Sennheiser G3 kit | MixPre-D | Tascam DR-680/70D, Sony M10
                  Sennheiser HD 25-I II | Glidecam HD 2000 | Panasonic TM700K | GoPro Hero2

Comment

I have several Sandisk 60MB/s cards and they are fast enough even for 1920x720 25fps raw recording so All-I works fine.
                    I would get a stepring for the 50/1.8 (it's a really bad lens if you look how it's built though) to enable one filter dimension. I'm very satisfied with my Kenko NDX filter but it can only go so far and in direct sunlight you have to stop down.
                    You can set ISO to auto and it will give you a pretty smooth transition. Not the best solution but it might work in some situations.

Comment

Originally posted by henryqiu View Post
                      NDs for your 52mm diameter lens are much cheaper. You might just want to get a ND for such a small lens as well, to avoid the hassle of sharing a single ND while swapping lenses of very different sizes.

All the differences are what you make them to be, having nothing to do with whether or not there is a red ring on your lenses.

Why would they? What was your concern?

BTW, for shooting ALL-i, 16GB cards seem too small. 32GB or bigger would make more sense. And if cost is a concern, why not use SD cards? 45MB/s SD cards are fast enough for ALL-i but cost a lot less.
                      thanks for your advice, but i have heard that mark iii doesn't use ultra high speed (UHS) sd cards. so it doesn't matter if one uses fast class 10 sd card and that cf cards are pretty reliable than sd cards. hence i want to go for cf cards.

what is the main difference in using 60 MB/s cf card and 90 MB/s? will my mark III get hot quickly using 60 MB/s? or is the difference between 60 & 90 MB/s is visible only while transferring the footage from cf cards to computer?

Comment

My thoughts.... Get your ND filters to cover your largest diameter lens and use step rings on the smaller lenses. And get the fastest CF & SD cards you can afford. If you cheap out and get slower cards you will kick yourself every time you transfer your footage or photos.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
                          My thoughts.... Get your ND filters to cover your largest diameter lens and use step rings on the smaller lenses. And get the fastest CF & SD cards you can afford. If you cheap out and get slower cards you will kick yourself every time you transfer your footage or photos.
                          thanks david for your advice. well at this stage time is not of paramount importance but my budget is. i am thinking of getting usb 3.0 card reader which i hope will make some difference while transferring the files to the comp. will it be useful? i have usb 3.0 port in my comp also.

Comment

My 2 cents, if you want to operate your DSLR like a video camera with smooth exposure changes, get the next size up Vari-ND so you can grip it while filming. So for the 24-105 get the 82mm Vari-ND filter. It might be a little bigger but you will like being able to adjust easily.

Comment

For a hobby it doesn't really matter, but if you plan to use this for business at some point, remember time is money!

Comment

Working...
                              X