Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Headphone Volume out of 5D Mark III

Hi all.
    Wanted to see if anyone has worked out a decent solution for monitoring audio directly out of the 5D mark III's headphone jack.
    Naturally - one of the biggest draws to this cam from the previous model and lower models was the addition of this jack... however, I find the output dreadfully low for critical audio monitoring.

I do have a dual audio system - but there are times I want to simply plug my sennheiser wireless pack direct into the camera. So I'm asking specifically about this type of scenario.
    I've been getting clean results with this set up - and I can hear the audio okay during recording, but I'm straining. I hate to miss an audio hit because the volume output is too low.

Any good (and small) headphone amplifiers... or perhaps an internal solution I may have overlooked?

Are you sure you don't have the headphone volume set too low? That was a mistake I made when I first got mine.

Comment

Something else to consider is the impedance of the headphones you are using can have an effect on how loud they are.

Comment

Hi Mike...
        Yeah, have the volume maxed out. I also wonder why you can't adjust volume while recording. But that's a minor gripe I guess.

Comment

Thanks David -
          Don't know the impedance of my current headphones. They're a set from the Sony Professional line. No issues on any other cameras or devices. Also have 2 colleagues use the 5D III and we all have the same complaint, and I've seen others online mention it.

I Should mention again that I CAN hear the sound... but I'd like a bit more oomph. Anything other than a perfectly quiet environment can make it difficult to critically monitor it. I'll add that when I play a file back - the audio is acceptable in terms of volume. It's only when recording. Not sure why that is.

I just ordered a very small headphone amplifier that I'm hoping will give that extra amount of level I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
          X