Bargain 5d mk2 or 5d Mk3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bargain 5d mk2 or 5d Mk3?

Hi guy I wanted to get some advice. Some background info about myself first. I have a 550D/T2i with a 11-16 Tokina, Canon 28-70 2.8 L, 50 1.8ii and 70-200 2.8. I have been filming part time over the past year as a hobby whenever i've had the chance. Over the past year I was able to network with various individuals in the music and film industry and an opportunity arose for me to take it up professionally. I intend to shoot docs and interviews for the web possibly for broadcast but that is not till far down the line.

I have learnt alot with my 550D however ever the problems I have encountered consistently is overheating and the lack of low light ability as I am an available light shooter. I am now looking at upgrading my camera body. My question is that I have around £2500 to spend on a new body and I have narrowed down my choices to 5d MK 2 or 5D MK3 mainly due to their low light ability and their availability. I aim to purchase either FS100, C100 or possibly c300 next year depending on my cash flow.

Now my question is that I have the opportunity to pick up a barely used 5D MK2 for £800, whilst I would have to pay full retail price for the 5D MK3 . Would I better buying the used MK2 and saving the difference or should I ignore the difference in price and just go with the 5d mk3. I have been going around in circles for the last couple of days any advice will be appreciated.

If you can afford the 5D Mark III, then go for it. It is so much improved over the Mark II for video shooting that it's literally a no-brainer unless you simply cannot afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
      If you can afford the 5D Mark III, then go for it. It is so much improved over the Mark II for video shooting that it's literally a no-brainer unless you simply cannot afford it.
      ditto If you can afford it go for the 5D3 as it is a vast improvement over the 5D2 for both video & stills.

Comment

And for low light - absolutely the 5D3!

I was using a Canon T4i quite happily for both video and stills. But I bought the 5D3 specifically to shoot up to 6400 ISO for events (T4i is good to up 1600.)

FWIW, I tested a Canon battery against a 3rd party yesterday on the T4i. I ran it for 1.75 hours shooting video on the Canon battery with no overheating issue.

Good luck!

Michael

Comment

My Opinion if you want Canon don't forget their newly announced 6d http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...cameras/eos_6d

It will retail for $2000 US and have basically the same features video wise as the MarkIII and be better than the MarkII.....

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply guys I knew that 5D3 was more superior that the 5D2 but the price of the 5d2 made me doubt whether the difference (£1200) I could get them for was that great .

Originally posted by unadog View Post
            And for low light - absolutely the 5D3!

I was using a Canon T4i quite happily for both video and stills. But I bought the 5D3 specifically to shoot up to 6400 ISO for events (T4i is good to up 1600.)

FWIW, I tested a Canon battery against a 3rd party yesterday on the T4i. I ran it for 1.75 hours shooting video on the Canon battery with no overheating issue.

Good luck!

Michael
            Hi Michael in the same boat as you I need the hight boost for the environments i'm normally in. With the regards to the overheating i'm normally recording up to or around the recording limit consecutively so I assumed that was the case for the overheating, as I normally got up to 1hours footage before the thermometer came on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by J.F.R. View Post
              My Opinion if you want Canon don't forget their newly announced 6d http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...cameras/eos_6d

It will retail for $2000 US and have basically the same features video wise as the MarkIII and be better than the MarkII.....
              I would have considered the 6d if it was available right now, but its not on sale till December and I need a camera in the next two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Yellow View Post
                I would have considered the 6d if it was available right now, but its not on sale till December and I need a camera in the next two weeks.
                The 6d cost $1000 less than a MarkIII, I would find a way to wait or keep using your gear till it's available. Furthermore have you considered the new Nikon camera? The D600 appears to be an excellent full frame camera available today
                http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...5488/D600.html

Comment

I was actually interested in D600 but I haven't really seen any conclusive test for high iso in video. I like the details and DR of the Nikon but I was not to sure of the High iso. I would like to be able to shoot at 6400 iso with a relative clean image.

Comment

I was actually interested in D600 but I haven't really seen any conclusive test for high iso in video. I like the details and DR of the Nikon but I was not to sure of the High iso. I would like to be able to shoot at 6400 iso with a relative clean image.
                    6400 iso? Wow that's tough, I think the 5d markiii might be one of the few cameras that can shoot that clean with noise and not be bad. What is it that you are shooting that requires such high iso? Is there any reason you cannot use an on camera led light?

Comment

THe canon doesnt seem to be the camera you are after. You will probably tire of it quickly or spend a fortune on sorting out sound, getting a thingy to stop the hdmi cable falling out whatever

Frankly a FS100 is cheaper than a 3 a sound recorder and some cable workarounds

Pony for the FS today, even borrow the difference.. or get a 5d2 and keep the difference in your C100/300/Fs100/whatever is released next month fund- the camera you actually want.

Honestly you could consider an NEX5n which will fit your T2i lenses (some of which may not cover the 5d2 sensor) its super cheap and better image than the 5d2 (maybe not in low light)

IMO the 5d3 doesnt really have a place in a cost effective videography strategy

or get a 50 1.4 live with the T2i and save up for the better cam.

S
                      http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by J.F.R. View Post
                        6400 iso? Wow that's tough, I think the 5d markiii might be one of the few cameras that can shoot that clean with noise and not be bad. What is it that you are shooting that requires such high iso? Is there any reason you cannot use an on camera led light?
                        My current work involves me following around an artist interviewing them whilst also documenting the process of them making their, most times i'm in the studio with them and the lighting is not that great so I have to ramp up the iso, and I dont like shooting at 3200 on the T2i because of the noise let alone 6400 iso. I would like the safety net of being able to shoot at a high iso without having to worry to much about noise. I'm gonna have a look at the D600 and 5D3 tomorrow. I know the Canon may have the slight edge in High Iso but the Nikon seems to keep a bit more detail from the videos i've seen, besides I'm not looking to shoot at ridiculous iso's.

Comment

My current work involves me following around an artist interviewing them whilst also documenting the process of them making their, most times i'm in the studio with them and the lighting is not that great so I have to ramp up the iso, and I dont like shooting at 3200 on the T2i because of the noise let alone 6400 iso. I would like the safety net of being able to shoot at a high iso without having to worry to much about noise. I'm gonna have a look at the D600 and 5D3 tomorrow. I know the Canon may have the slight edge in High Iso but the Nikon seems to keep a bit more detail from the videos i've seen, besides I'm not looking to shoot at ridiculous iso's.

The great thing is you have options and if shooting in constant low light I would suggest full frame. Canon 5d Markiii or Nikon d600 will be better than the t2i. Also you would be surprised how much an on camera led light will do. I have been in pitch black situations with a 60d. A fast lens like the Rokinon 35mm t/1.4 and an led light can see anything even in pitch blackness.....

Comment

Working...
                          X