Storing Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing Equipment

Do you remove your lens from the body when putting everything away?

Does it matter at all?

thank you.

Not really.

Comment

No. I'd rather have the camera body and the back of the lens stay "sealed." That used to be a real issue with dust on the sensor and in the mirror box. Not as much any more.

But I have never taken the lens off to store short term in 20+ years.

I always use a UV protective filter on the front of the lens too, but that is a different discussion.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by unadog View Post
        I always use a UV protective filter on the front of the lens too, but that is a different discussion.

Michael
        You mean the "Why buy a $2000 lens & then degrade the optics with a $40 filter?" discussion?

Comment

Does everyone else think that's true? Does an ND filter degrade the optics?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
            Does everyone else think that's true? Does an ND filter degrade the optics?
            Of course it does. How much depends on the filter.
            I never use UV filters anymore either. You use an ND when you need it and no other time, when the trade off for a little diminishing of the image is paid for with not having the shot blown out.

I never store more than maybe a day with the lens on. I put on the the body cap.
            Youtube
            IMDB
            Twitter

Comment

The process of making a lens accurate and distortion free is complex and time-consuming - and therefore expensive. Optically accurate flat glass, however, is nowhere near so complex a process, so although an extra layer of material will distort the image to a degree, the degree is very small on typical lens sizes. Having scratched the front coated lens of my nice Canon B4 lens, I'm firmly in favour of adding protection and leaving it there, because I can't detect any difference. I'm happy there is some, of course - my point being that I just can't see it!

Comment

Well then how does everyone shoot outside with a large aperture?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                  Well then how does everyone shoot outside with a large aperture?
                  You use an ND filter. Not saying it trashes the image. It degrades it, probably not noticeable, maybe so, depending on the filter and it's condition. Just like sometimes you have to shoot a little higher ISO than than you prefer. It is what it is. Stay away from cheap plastic crap and use a decent one and it's fine.
                  Youtube
                  IMDB
                  Twitter

Comment

What do you guys recommend? Genus? Heliopan? I have a LCW now..

I'm also actually talking about variable filters..not the single kind..

Comment

Somebody will chime in. I just use Hoya regular ND filters (and a grad). Don't use it enough to pay for a variable.
                      Youtube
                      IMDB
                      Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X