How to post sharpen 5dmkiii footage in FCP 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to post sharpen 5dmkiii footage in FCP 7

I'm trying to research the best way to post sharpen 5diii footage in FCP 7, but surprisingly I can't find much information. I'm guessing I should add an unsharpen mask, but what are the best settings? If anyone could share some info or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,
    Mike
    loosecannonprod.com

You will get much more useful information from others, as I don't have Final Cut Pro (CS6 instead) and I don't have a 5D3 (can you tell already that I don't know what I am talking about?)

For other Canon cameras since about the 1DsII and 20D, I have been using Unsharp Mask settings fairly close to a recomendation in a Canon White Paper for those cameras.

They recommended a "post capture" shrapening step of USM (300, .1, 1) To me at the time that seemed pretty aggressive. But on a good screen and looking closely at the effects in that general range, I have to say that it really brings back a lot of info in the images.

I usually don't use that on portraits, however. I wil either mask the face, or blur the face after the sharpen, or both.

For a recent image that had text that I wanted to help bring up I used (300, .9, 1) When I went to (300, 1.0, 1) - or above full pixel size on the second parameter - I could see halo artifacts from the sharpening.

I'll let others chime in, but I thought I'd share that. It helped me to understand the Canon images quite a bit when I read that. That is an amount - 300 - and pixel size that wasn't close to what I had been doing.

Most people also talk about 3 stages of sharpening:
    1) Post capture sharpeing, as above, which is just to counter the anti-aliasing filter.

2) Creative sharpening, such as the blur that I mentioned on the face, around eyes, or the opposite - shrap[ening eyes only to maker them pop, etc., and

3) Output sharpeing. So that you might leave an image at the previus step, then sharpen differently for a web video or still as opposed to a higher resolution file for a larger screen, or a still image for a print.

I hope that helps a bit. There are some folks who get quite involved in this and know a lot more than I do (look up "deconvolution sharpening" for example.)

Good luck!

Best,
    Michael

Comment

There are 2 sharpen filters in fcp7, use the basic sharpen filter, the other one looks really ugly. I've found it looks really natural at around the 20 setting with high ISO footage. Always shoot with sharpening set to 0.
      gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

Working...
      X