Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color space of Mk 2 vs 3

Hi there,

Am I right in saying the Mark 3 is 4:2:2 whereas the Mark 2 is 4:2:0?

Also, is the Mark 3 3CCD, or is it 1CCD like other DSLRs? by the way, how come no one has invented a 3CCD or 3CMOS DSLR? Wouldn't that give 3x better quality?

Thanks
    David
    Panasonic Lumix G85 | Lumix G7 | Canon XC10 | Lumix GH2 | HVX-200 | Final Cut Pro X | DaVinci Resolve 15

they both shoot 4:2:0 and they both have cmos sensors, the majority of dslrs these days use cmos sensors.

Comment

You would be wrong in saying that. The mark 3 is h.264 4:2:0 color space just like the mark 2 but has a all-I h.264 5.1 profile codec. Also it has 1 CMOS not 1 ccd. Also I'm no techy but CMOS has some advantages over ccd. In fact the only thing I can think of that a ccd is better is just the global shutter.

Comment

I think CCD has a faster offload rate also. CMOS is sequential row-by-row, I think CCD is not? I don't recall all of teh differences.

The 3 sensor model in a full frame DSLR would result in a huge camera - you would have to beam split, then have the physical space for the 3 sensors.

The Foeveon (sp?) is an attempt to do the 3 sensor-in-one-chip approach. Some potential, but so far ...

Eventually we will get rid of the Bayer mosaic and have pure color. If you look back at the 4 pass or 16 pass Sinar medium format backs, with pure color,, the results are superb. But everything has a cost, and the cost/benefit hasn't been there yet.

I am sure it will become viable when we get to/now that we are at a point where we stop chasing megapixels, and now that we have processors that can handle the data required. Quality over quantity soon ....

Cheers!
        Michael

Comment

An important difference between Mark II and Mark III is, Mark II uses Rec.601 colour space, Mark III uses Rec.709 colour space.

Comment

Can you describe what is different about the two color spaces?

Comment

You sure the 5d II used 601? That is an sd color space. It also used the whole range 0-255 which is not in the 601 spec.

Comment

Yes I'm 100% sure, 5D II uses full range Rec.601 SD colour space, which was being criticised for quite a long time. 5D III changed to full range Rec.709 HD colour space.

There are not much difference between the two, but if mixed together inproperly, it will result in weird colour cast.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinhello View Post
                  Yes I'm 100% sure, 5D II uses full range Rec.601 SD colour space, which was being criticised for quite a long time. 5D III changed to full range Rec.709 HD colour space.

Indie Film Technique
                  Apex Visuals

Comment

Working...
                  X