Lens advice with 5diii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens advice with 5diii

I'm gonna be renting a 5diii as I got a bunch of shoots coming up in the next two weeks, mainly two events and a few interview type. I usually grab the canon 17-50 for my T2i as that usually covers me for everything. With the 5d tho should I grab the 24-70? Also I have a tamron 28-75, is the tamron vs the canon 24-70 2.8 lens on the 5d going to be a huge difference? Was thinking of saving money and maybe just using my tamron then renting the 35 1.4 too.

Also with the 5diii is there even a need to grab a 1.4 lens? For events its usually essential with my t2i as I can't go above 1600iso

i like the color and boken from canon better, but just a bit better
    canon have a smoother zoom and focus ring. if you want to include some slow focusing or zooming shots canon would easier to work with.
    if you gona shoot in a night club, a F1.4 lens will still be good to have.
    if you gona shoulder mount or hand held than tamron 24-70 VC would be great if you can find a place to rent it

all the best!

Comment

In terms of basic focal length, just multiply by 1.6 to determine a rough equivalent. 17mm on a T2i is equal to ~27mm on a 5D. 50mm on the T2i is equal to 80mm on the 5D.

I can't really comment on the Tamron vs Canon choice as I don't have recent experience with anything Tamron.

My favorite lens is the Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS. It's my go-to lens and I use it for just about everything. I very rarely drop below f/4. I love the aesthetic at f/4 and haven't yet encountered a situation that requires a lower f-stop since the 5DIII is so good at higher ISOs.

Comment

Zeiss 25mm 2.0, 50mm 2.0 makro, 100mm 2.0 makro, voila!

Comment

^^ Hard to argue with that.

Comment

the tamron 28-75 is not stellar, to say the least: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=3&APIComp=0

Comment

..but the 600 line res of the 5d aint stellar either..
              http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

and, even so, lens sharpness makes a great impact on the footage (or at least it did with the old Canons; I'd guess it's the same for the 5D3)

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                  ..but the 600 line res of the 5d aint stellar either..
                  5D3 has around 800-900 lines

Comment

Working...
                  X