Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

color banding and artifacts with cinestyle

Hello everyone,
    After I have graded some footage that I shot with my 5d mark ii,using cinestyle picture style with these settings :+3 , -4 , 0 , 0 ,I noticed very serious color banding and artifacts in the sky and also in the bokeh.(see the close-ups).

color banding 1.jpg color banding and artifacts.jpg

NB.the color banding and the artifacts don't exist in the raw footage.Only after it has been graded.

So I'm wondering.Are the customized settings of the cinestyle responsible?I know the default settings of cinestyle are 0 , -4 , -2 , 0.But I'm still testing with my newly purchased 5d mk ii and at the time being I'm still in favor of a sharp picture.

If it's not the cinestyle settings,what could be the cause?

Thanks for your help..very much appreciated.
    Last edited by musefarm; 05-19-2012, 01:56 AM.

Nobody knows anything about this?

Comment

Cinestyle lacks tonal precision in the mids. It has around half the precision of the Standard picture style (at 0 contrast) in the mids.
      Details on Canon flat picture styles here.

Shutter Angle: The science and magic of shooting moving pictures

Comment

Originally posted by musefarm View Post
        NB.the color banding and the artifacts don't exist in the raw footage.Only after it has been graded.
        The problem is in how you've graded the footage. Try not to so aggressively add contrast, and be careful of your curves adjustments for areas of the image that have similar tones (i.e. the bright sky).

But as suggested, try different picture profiles in the camera and you'll probably be able to push them around more in post without these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by musefarm View Post
          Nobody knows anything about this?
          Keep an eye on the Dark Energy plugin for After Effects this July, it can greatly improve the results

Comment

it's the usual CineStyle problem: it uses such a narrow part of the codec's color space that, when you grade it, issues arise - I created my Flaat suite of picture styles to solve this issue: http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-p...les/index.html

Comment

Working...
            X