Post sharpening on shallow DOF shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post sharpening on shallow DOF shot?

I haven't got a 5D3 yet since I'm waiting a bit too see how the upcoming Sony pans out before I make a final decision, so I cannot test this myself.

I've seen Philip Blooms video where the post sharpening does wonders to the footage. HOWEVER, all the shots were deep DOF, wide landscape type shots.

How does the post sharpening work on Shallow DOF shots like portraits or more close focus type stuff? Or night shots where there is a lot of Bokeh from car lights?

Logic says that post sharpening and shallow DOF might not pair as well as landscapes and deep DOF. Especially on shots with blurry backgrounds or night lights, it seems like post sharpening would make a mess of the Bokeh.

So what have your experiences been with post sharpening more shallow DOF shots?
    -------
    Entire Portfolio: http://www.builtbyugene.com/index.html

from Christopher aka dustylense here
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Comment

Originally posted by Emanuel View Post

And that was shot with internal shapness at 2 with post sharpen. I have since gone down to either 1 or zero depending on the shot.

Comment

I've shot some night street, car light stuff and post sharpened, looks great. Shot shallow DOF too, no issues. The sharpening is very slight and doesn't mess with the image just brings out more detail same as sharpening a RAW still after converting it to a jpeg. Here's a resized screen grab straight out of the MKIII IPB 2500 ISO 0 sharpness.

2500 ISO copy.jpg
        gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanuel View Post

Nice and detailed but the halo's caused by the post sharpening are just grim in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Turner View Post
            Nice and detailed but the halo's caused by the post sharpening are just grim in my opinion.
            Zero halos when in-camera sharpening is set to 0 and post sharpened (halos come from Unsharp Mask style sharpening with a radius > 1. Won't happen with a convolution filter and less likely with USM and radius < 1).

In-camera sharpen 0 and significant post sharpening (medium DOF, background is blurred slightly):

In-camera sharpen 0, varying amounts of post sharpening on difficult material; still very little aliasing (Bugatti grill is only area noticeable if looking for it). Many shots with the somewhat soft 16-35 F2.8L II. The 70-200 F2.8L II shots required less sharpening (one of the sharpest zooms available: matches the sharpness of decent primes).

I have many narrow DOF shots for my movie- post sharpening worked well (no halos or other weird artifacts).

Comment

Originally posted by Will Turner View Post
              That is why I backed off on in camera sharpening. this was shot during the first hour of having the camera.

Comment

I am very impressed with the results. Who would have thought. Philip's footage looked great as well.

Comment

Do you guys sharpen in post with 5DII footage? Why is post sharpening so common on 5DIII footage? Is it the line skipping or something?

Comment

Depending on the scene I'll sometimes slightly sharpen my 5D2 stuff.
                    Youtube
                    IMDB
                    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jkim3381 View Post
                      Do you guys sharpen in post with 5DII footage? Why is post sharpening so common on 5DIII footage? Is it the line skipping or something?
                      At 0 sharpness the MKIII is a little softer than the MKII. Turning up the sharpness in camera produces a halo effect. Post sharpening produces excellent results. I suspect the softness is due to a denoising algorithm that affects all ISOs and can't be turned off.
                      gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

What sharpening tools are you using and in what post apps? FCP, Resolve, Premiere, After Effects, etc...
                        A few common settings would be nice to know too...

@JCS
                        A brief explanation of "convulution" sharpening and which tools offer it would be helpful.
                        We should sticky it over at C5D as well...
                        Last edited by yoclay; 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

So far I'm just using the basic sharpening filter in FCP7 and adjusting the setting to taste (around 20). There are 2 sharpening filters in FCP7, one of them is really ugly.

Comment

Which is the good one, and which is the ugly one in your opinion?

Comment

The 2nd one in the sharpen menu is the good one (only has amount adjustment). The first sharpen filter has controls for intensity and amount, no matter how much I make adjustments it looks plasticy.

Comment

Working...
                              X