Lens question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens question

Soooo I need advice. I have a Canon 50mm 1.2L and a Canon 28mm 1.8 right now and I am considering selling them both and getting either a Canon 24-70mmL or a Canon 24-70mmL II.

I'm not sold on the idea of switching to zoom lens but I can see the benefit. My main concern right now is the 50mm causes me to get REALLY close to someone for a close up. Sometimes the actors feel uncomfortable with the camera that close. Also, I like the idea of time saving with the zoom.

Can you guys give me your thoughts on switching? I really dont have the funds right now to purchase another lens without selling something (wedding coming up). I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Maybe sell your 50L and get an 85L to save them being uncomfortable. Keep the 28mm 1.8
    For me I only shoot primes. I don't see the need for me to zoom in any video work I do.

It is quite handy though sometimes to have a spare zoom lens with a fixed aperture just in case you need it for other work. Such as weddings etc..

Comment

I would never sell primes to get a zoom. At least keep a few. But there is also no reason you need either L primes. 1.2 is simply too shallow on a ff camera to even use. ESPECIALLY in event work where you have to get focus or you are screwed. Sell the 50mm and get the 85mm 1.8 and then a zoom as well.

Comment

I woulnd't go from primes to zoom either; primes+zoom, yes, but I wouldn't get the zoom if I had to get rid of the primes for that

but I understand "limited budget", so, I would say:
        don't sell anything, buy a samyang 85mm f/1.4: awsome lens, extremely cheap (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0025EWXEU), check the comparisons with the 85L and the zeiss 85 in all the links here: http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipme...c.html#samyang (manual focus only, great for video, not for action stills)

and in any case, if you're going zoom, consider the new tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC: it's cheaper, has IS, and is sharper than the canon 24-70 f/2.8L (I): http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...24-70-mtf-data (no word on bokeh yet, and on the long end it's more like 65mm, not 70mm) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B007SNP02K

Comment

+1 what Mark Stevens and others have said. I know it's painful saving for a full suite of lenses but even tho the 24-70 is a great lens you have a much nicer prime in the 50mm. I agree with Samuel H - if you are desperate for some length the imitation primes are the way to go.
          Canon 5DMkII, Lenses, Zoom H4N, Sennheisers, Millers, Steadicam, Mortgage...
          Video Production, Web Video , Music Video Production and Wedding Videography

Comment

I'd also keep the two you have and supplement with an 85 prime or a 70-200. The 28 is a great lens for interiors and on a stabilizer and the 50 1.2 is money for everything on a full frame. The perspective and reach you add with a 70-200 would just sew up your set for the time being with incredible quality all the way around.

Cheers,
            Pete

Comment

Thank you for all your replies. I have decided that I just cannot go without my 50 1.2. LOVE that lens...maybe more than one should an inanimate object but nonetheless... Would you all recommend that I save and go after the 85L or the 70-200? I feel like the 70-200 would be great for a cross-over between video and photography(something i only dabble in) but everyone convents the 85L. If I am to save up, I'm looking at this time next year becausing I'm getting married early next year.
              Back to the point, is the 85L worth the money to quailty compared to the 70-200L if I've decided my 50L is going to be my main workhorse?

Comment

You could also generate a little funds for another lens by trading that 1.2L in for a 1.4 (several hundred bucks difference right?). If you're mostly doing narrative stuff 1.2 is nice, but not really necessary.
                Youtube
                IMDB
                Twitter

Comment

I'd also suggest trading the 1.2L for a 1.4 - it'll proabably give you about $1000 change.

The 1.2 is an amazing lens, but a bit of overkill for video. F/1.2 is too shallow for scenes with any movement (and for many scenes without movement!) and at 1080p you're not really going to notice any extra sharpness with the 1.2L. 50mm's are cheap and plentiful, so there's no point having all your funds tied up in the most expensive one available when there are other alternatives that will be just as good (or even better) for video. You might want to check out the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, The Nikon manual focus f/1.4 or f/1.2 (if you really can't go any slower than that, which I doubt.) and the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, as well as the Canon 50mm 1.4.

With the change you can buy either the Canon 85mm f/1.8 or the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and be halfway towards saving for a 2nd hand Canon 24-70L or a Tamron 24-70 VC.
                  VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
                  Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
                  Adobe CC 2018

Comment

I'd argue, again, for the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 (=Rokinon=Bower=etc): it's really very similar to the 85mm f/1.2L (check the links here: http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipme...c.html#samyang), for a fifth of the price

Comment

Damn I wish 85s weren't so expensive. I'm muddling through with a 105 2.5 at the moment. For the price of a Samyang I could get the Takumar 85mm 1.9, just can't justify $400 on either right now.
                      Youtube
                      IMDB
                      Twitter

Comment

Im not sure about all this prime love

2.8 offers little enough DOF for practical shooting, no need to change lenses in this range will save an age and add fluidity to your shooting

Any stills lens resolves way above 1080 which the 5d doesnt resolve any way

I get that and pick up an old 50 1.8 or an 85/2

IMO 85 1.4 is not worth the exta size/weight over a 2

S
                        http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

I just have no interest in zooms. I own a couple of cheap ones I use for vacation photos and that kind of thing, but they don't even go in the bag on a film shoot. Aesthetically I like using a fixed number of focal lengths, artistic choice.
                          Youtube
                          IMDB
                          Twitter

Comment

Well on a shoot how much time is spend realigning the follow focus, mincing with the matte box - that stuff equates to loss of extra takes, no overtime bla bla

Just cos you have a zoom there is no need to zoom in shot or not just use it at (in this case) 24-35 and 70 or suchlike

not to mention keeping the sensor clean..

S
                            http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

All my primes have different qualities. This one is super crisp, that one has amazing bokeh, etc... It does take a little time, but so does making sure the lighting is just what you want. It's part of the job.
                              Youtube
                              IMDB
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X