No announcement yet.

Lens question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except for the kit lens (which I use as a 18-24mm f/3.4-4.0), all I have is a very nice set of primes. And I didn't get them because they are extremely fast, which they are not (except for the 50mm f/1.4, they're all f/2.8), I got them because the image is gorgeous. With very few exceptions (e.g. the 70-200), no zoom can match the image quality of my little vintage Leitz primes. And yes, lens sharpness matters for video too, but that's not all.

Comment

Dont get me wrong - when Kubric phones me up to DP his feature - Ill go with primes - cine primes

However in the balance of daily life, shooting speed, cash tied up, set convenience, and all the rest I think the OP is sensible to consider that his money might not be best sitting in those two lenses (which probably cost more than my entire set of old nikkor primes!)

S
      http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
        Dont get me wrong - when Kubric phones me up to DP his feature - Ill go with primes - cine primes

However in the balance of daily life, shooting speed, cash tied up, set convenience, and all the rest I think the OP is sensible to consider that his money might not be best sitting in those two lenses (which probably cost more than my entire set of old nikkor primes!)

S
        Well I can agree on that. I think I have $600 total in a set of 7 prime lenses (Takumars). I think the most expensive lens in my kit cost right at $100.
        Youtube
        IMDB
        Twitter

Comment

I have $2000 total in a set of 6 vintage primes (35+50+90+135+180+300). That's less than the price of the new 24-70L. The most expensive ones (35mm and 50mm) cost me $500 each, and I think they're truly wonderful lenses, worth all that an much more.

Comment

If you havent got a 24 (FF) or an 18 (S35) its not really a set IMO

S

Comment

Ive used a 5d since 2009 btw, my main lenses are..

Daytime 24-105 IS

Nighttime 28/2 and 85/2 nikkor and on occasion 50 1.4nikkor

I probably own 30 other lenses - but those are the ones that get used

S

Comment

I have a bag full of Pentax K mount for when I pull out the 35mm film camera and several Mamiya lenses for my medium format camera, but use just the Takumars on the 5D. I rarely even use my 28mm much less a 24mm. I use the 35mm a lot more. The only lens I wish I had is an 85 (use a 105 instead), but as I said, haven't been able to justify that big a lens purchase (it would be by a factor of 3 the most expensive lens in my kit) when I have grip gear and other needs more pressing.
                Youtube
                IMDB
                Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                  If you havent got a 24 (FF) or an 18 (S35) its not really a set IMO

S

Yes, I know. But I don't want to get those in vintage: wide angles and zooms are complex lenses that have benefitted a lot from computer design.

The 18mm and 24mm lenses that complete my set are... the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC (or the kit lens, which is just as sharp, just crappily built and, on the wide end, just a bit slower)

edit: I've actually tried a few vintage wide angles, and none of them could beat the kit lens: http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/lenstestsa.html
                  Last edited by Samuel H; 06-16-2012, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X