No announcement yet.

5D3 - harsh condition re-grading holds up surprisingly well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just downloaded the original and graded it in FCPX with magic bullet. Come on guys, this is ISO 5000 shot under crazy light source. I pushed it pretty hard and have not seen much degradation. 5000 ISO!!! It looks soft because the Cam Op is wide open and not focusing very well. I like what I see in the NLE and my 5Dmk3 will be in my hands by Monday latest. 5000 ISO!!!!!! Incredible!

Comment

It's likely it's a bit soft like all the 5D3 footage around at present because the sharpness has been dialled down in camera like you need to do on the 5D2 to avoid moire. I suspect that most 5D2 users who pick up a 5D3 are immediately dialling in the same picture style settings that they have been using on the 5D2 perhaps even using the voodoo ISOs 160/320/640 etc This is a new camera & all these settings need to be tested & evaluated again. I am keeping mine on the default settings until I get a chance to properly set it up & I am not seeing that the image is soft.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the camera's nr processing is contributing to the softness. Crazy to see next to no noise at this iso.
        http://vimeo.com/user4142226

Comment

I never had any real problems with resolution on my mk2 but I had issues with rolling shutter, moire and no audio monitoring.

Comment

I don't get all the comments on softness. I don't see it. I think it's really sharp at the focal point relative to any 5Dm2 footage I've shot. If you consider the ISO, it looks incredible to me. What you all are calling softness is exclusively shallow depth of field IMHO.

Cheers,
            Pete

Comment

frame grabs from side-by-side test: http://philipbloom.net/forum/threads...me-still.1261/

Comment

Working...
              X