Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Picture style to use for weddings, documentaries and short films? and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James, just wanted to say that histogram + adjusting contrast is definitely one of the best tips anyone's given me in the last few months, so thanks very much!

Comment

Originally posted by James0b57 View Post
      Haha! I love the humility!

I do not think there are too many rules about flat vs regular. It is mostly workflow and style/look.

For example, I generally dislike the Nuetral 0,-4,-4,0 look, but some users have made a style out of it, usually shooting very melancholy beauty or stark disparate future look. Of course, a simple desaturation in post would suffice with any picture style to get the same effect, but that is how those users decided to do it, and it looked great.

One thing I tend to say again and again, is how awful flat profiles look under low contrast low dynamics lighting. This is one of the few rules I think that applies to the "flat vs normal" debate.

It is easy enough to figure out wether lighting isn't dynamic enough, just look at the cameras built in histogram and see if the entire range is registering information, or just over half the range. If just over half, or less, then don't use flat or -4 contrast. switch favorite canon pic style and set to -3 to 0 contrast.

But if that is confusing or gets in the way of your work, than forget about it. Few people will care about the end look. And usually moving around and getting a better angle and lighting scenario is the better choice anyways.

Hope that helps.
      What do you think of Marvels 3.4?
      Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer

Comment

Originally posted by Paper_bag View Post
        James, just wanted to say that histogram + adjusting contrast is definitely one of the best tips anyone's given me in the last few months, so thanks very much!
        Great! =)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJITSU View Post
          What do you think of Marvels 3.4?
          I almost replied to this post this morning, but found I was just trying to be too unbiased.

Personally, I do not care for the Marvel Cine series. My experience with 3.4 is limited. But after playing with the earlier versions, I gave up on it. I absolutely abhorred all the v1's. v3.4 is much improved. They have at least gone from complete theory to some practicality.

Marvel v3.4 has the trademark magenta skin tone that most Canon video dslr footage has. So, right away, I am not excited about it.

The curve is a little wiggly in feel. (That is why I am eager to test out Flaat pic styles by NormanBates, because of the more predictable curve, in theory.) Marvel has started using a -3 contrast setting which is good. The -4 really kills mid tone contrast/gradation, because Canon is using a generic inverted S-curve which gets petrified in a weak codec. In my limited use of V3.4 I found grading the mid tones with more contrast than highlights and shadows brought a more natural look. But this entirely depends on the subject matter. My subject was exposed for the mid tones.

I like a lot of the theory that goes into Mavel Cine picture styles, but since I do not like the skin tones, I just don't further investigate it. The curve is a good balance of noise efficiency and flat. One of the best flat curves in that respect. But grading can be difficult if you don't use good methods. I find many users create a muddy mess with the picture style.

If you are grading for a human face, export some screen shots and play around with them in photoshop. I find it is far more easy to make adjustments there and become familiar with pic styles. I use a curves layer adjustment over the screen shot. I select the "eye drop" tool (shortcut "I"), and with the curves adjustment layer selected, I hover the tool over the lighter part of the face (usually the lightest part of the cheek) hold down 'command' on a mac, and click the tool on that area. That creates a reference point on the curves layer. I do the same for the darker part of the face (usually the darker area around the chin, but nothing absolutely black), hold 'command' and click the area. Another reference point is added to the curves layer. Then I can adjust those two points as a base. Finally, I will color correct and apply saturation adjustment. Of course, this is more for practice and becoming familiar with the footage curve behavior. But once you do it in photoshop, it makes it easier to do so in AE are FCP etc...
          Last edited by James0b57; 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Guys, how do you all resolve the serious banding issues in Cinestyle?

Comment

Originally posted by nikon_obsessed View Post
              Guys, how do you all resolve the serious banding issues in Cinestyle?
              A: Don't use it.

B: Don't apply heavy contrast on smooth areas, if you can help it. Some programs allow for 'power windows' so you can apply slightly different contrast to different areas of the image. But that takes some time and isn't always conducive to the final image.

C: Ignore them, because it is going on the web.

D: Display on a defocused projector.

As sarcastic as I was being, all of those are actual solutions.

Comment

A: Don't use it.

B: Don't apply heavy contrast on smooth areas, if you can help it. Some programs allow for 'power windows' so you can apply slightly different contrast to different areas of the image. But that takes some time and isn't always conducive to the final image.

C: Ignore them, because it is going on the web.

D: Display on a defocused projector.

As sarcastic as I was being, all of those are actual solutions.
                Thanks, exactly what I want to hear. YESSSSSSS!!

Comment

Cinestyle is cool but I've ruined footage with wrong exposure. Very important to expose with another profile (preferably one that kind of approaches what you're after).

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Oller View Post
                    Cinestyle is cool but I've ruined footage with wrong exposure. Very important to expose with another profile (preferably one that kind of approaches what you're after).
                    For those shooting with T2i, I hear that Magic Lantern has a setting which displays a different pict style from the one that is being recorded.

Comment

For those shooting with T2i, I hear that Magic Lantern has a setting which displays a different pict style from the one that is being recorded.
                      Man, No wonder my 5DM2 gets jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by someday View Post
                        I created the Cinema picture style to avoid too much post color and to go straight from the camera to on air without hassles, and with a ready to go image that is pleasant. I already produced 2 documentaries with it for the Swiss national broadcast tv (SSR) and by the way they beated the audience records with a 41% share in a 100 tv channels situation.
                        I love the way your picture style looks. Any chance I can download it somewhere? Thank you sir

Comment

You can find it here, but it's a premium picture style.
                          www.cineplus.ch/cinema.html

Colors are more analogic and contrasted. Tone has no magenta or purple casts typical of the Canon's camera.
                          www.cineplus.ch

Comment

Working...
                          X