Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5d MK II focuses slowly?

Hi,

I've experimented a lot with the 5D MK II. I find its autofocus extremely slow. I always use spot focus and meter, and sometimes this camera seemingly falls asleep. I'm comfortable with the Nikon form factor, and the way they operate. To me they just seem way faster.

I had the Nikon D200 and Canon 5D MK II side by side for about 2 weeks. I noticed I didn't like the shadow or low end detail as much on the Canon. It seemed dirty. I think it handled highlights better, though. I'm really impressed by the Canon 5D MK II in so many ways, but it seems like a lumbering buffoon when I flip over to auto focus.

This might not be too much of a concern for video users since you manually focus. I want a VDSLR that handles both video and photo extremely well.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else noticed the sluggishness of autofocus on the Canon? Sometimes I noticed the same thing on the Nikon D3. Could it be something to do with the CMOS technology?

Keep in mind I am extremely critical of any equipment I own. Even if it's a few hundred milliseconds off I will get annoyed. Emotions flee faster than that.

-Aaron
    Music & Film : noct.us | Last.fm | Vimeo | isara.com

aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrron, waz up. long time no talks!

Maybe its the lens u are using that has a slow motor or somthing? ive used my nikons on my 5d. Never got to enjoy autofocus when i had it. eh
    -

www.ozan.ca

-

Comment

Hey man! It's good to hear from you again.

I don't think it was the lens selection. I was using a 50mm f/1.8 prime, 28-200mm zoom, and the famous Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.

I think it's something to do with the body and my style of shooting. I don't know if the 5D MK II fits it. It's a stellar camera. I need to try out another 5DMKII and make sure I wasn't using a defective body. I have a feeling I was using a good one.

Comment

I guess that "slowness" u feel consistent on all your lens? I dunno if its a setting or not. Im looking at my friends right now and his seems to be set to the same settin as ur's. Hes using that crappy plastic 17-85 f2.8 eh.
        -

www.ozan.ca

-

Comment

Yes. It happens with every lens I try. Do you think the L series would make a difference? Maybe I should try it.

Comment

The Autofocus system on the 5d Mark ii is older and known to be a little slow. One of the only things holding the camera back from a still photography perspective.
            "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

Comment

ahh validation. Thanks.

Comment

ive only shot about 10,000 to 20,000 images on the 5dm2 but i can say this, the 5dm2 outperformed my d90, d200, and d300's hands down on clarity and detail BUT what little experience i have i can assure you of this . . the camera MUST have high quality lenses and i use only L lenses and they are fast and zip focus and right on. my only issue with this camera at all is my lack of understanding on the "movie" side of its options. this i could use a LOT of help.

Comment

ahh invalidated, but more important than that, educated...

I was wondering if whether or not the L series would do the trick. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Comment

I do think the L lenses make somewhat of a difference....But the auto focus does feel a bit slow to me as well. I have used two different 5d Mark II's and they both feel just a tad slow. Using the same lens on a Canon 40d which is a slightly older camera, it was faster, not much, but enough to notice.

So I would validate your experience

The only time that I felt that it made me miss some photo's was shooting race cars at a track....I had to adjust my shooting style to compensate.

Comment

I have a MKII and I use primarily L glass and have not had any focus speed issues. But it may be subjective. I make a substantial part of my income through photography so I'm picky, but I shoot mostly landscapes. I also chase my 2 and 4 year old boys around a lot with the camera and have not had focus speed issues.

Comment

"50mm f/1.8 prime, 28-200mm zoom, and the famous Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens"

You're using slow (in terms of AF) lenses. Try other lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by f/0.0 View Post
                          "50mm f/1.8 prime, 28-200mm zoom, and the famous Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens"

You're using slow (in terms of AF) lenses. Try other lenses.
                          Thanks for the feedback. But why are the same lenses way faster on a 7D, or even a 40 and 20D? I think there's something about a 5D MKII that is slow. Maybe I'm just being too picky. Milliseconds count to me.

It could be the 5D MK II is one heck of a camera, and to match it you need one heck of a lens or lenses. I see your point there. I'm going to borrow an L series lens soon and run the 5D MK II through its paces again.

Thanks for your feedback Buck and f/0.0.

Comment

If you use L lenses they are very fast to focus but if you use cheap lenses what do you expect, you cant use auto focus to film anyway

Comment

Working...
                            X