X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anamorphic Craziness - Cult status

If you want a good laugh, look at this guys ebay posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISCO-OPTICS-ISCO...80164635454121

Look at his crazy prices on top of it, for a lens that needs to be repaired on top of it.

I have never seen so much blah, blah in my life. He just loves to hear himself speak and there are so many exaggerations and inaccuracies going on in this that I just thought others might appreciate the enormity of it all. On top of that there is a whole story about stolen goods that actually progresses as the Q & A goes on. A guy accused of stealing his goods actually contacts him through ebay. This is definitely a plot point if I have ever seen one!

Someone should make a film about the seller.

Grandiose.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-03-2010, 02:33 AM.

Wow, Saved incase the auction get deleted.

Alright, here we go... Presented in this auction for your consideration is:

...Arguably, the 'Holy Grail' for numerous independent and low-budget Film and Digital motion picture makers who want PROFESSIONAL, UN-COMPROMISED Widescreen results on their hard fought-for projects - THE ISCO 54 'block-focusing' ANAMORPHIC LENS. Combined with the proper Prime or Zoom 'backup lens' (or lenses), this precision instrument will convert your camera's [built-in, on-board, or separately front-mounted] optics into a complete, SINGLE FOCUS-PULL, ANAMORPHIC LENS SYSTEM! The Isco features a unique, spherical, focusing/correcting element, positioned IN FRONT OF the customary cylindrical ones usually found in 'Simple [Two-Element] Anamorphics', that 'over-rides', and completely TAKES-OVER for ALL of the normal focusing elements in your existing optical system. In short, any compatible lens used to 'back-up' the Iscorama is simply set at INFINITY, 'locked-down', and the front element of 'The 54' does the rest -- for the entire optical train!

The particular ISCO 54 offered here is of the 1.5X compression ratio variety... This is the original format offered by Isco for use on 16mm motion picture and [some] 35mm format still cameras, and is not to be confused with the slightly more recent 1.33X compression model, typically used [now] to convert older, native 3:4-chip digital Video Camera ratio to the newer 1.78:1 (16:9) standard for Digital/HD Television distribution/broadcast. The 1.5X [such as this one] is EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND, but the 1.33X is EVEN HARDER -- just try it some time! In several YEARS, I've only seen ONE (1) 1.33X offered here on eBay... IF there were any others, I must have 'blinked and missed them'!!

A 1.5X compression-ratio will give you a final, deanamorphosed screen aspect of between 2.0:1 and about 2.08:1, depending on the gate size/ratio in the film camera you're using (they DO vary, from 1.33:1, upwards to 1.39:1). In Digital production, a standard, native 3:4 imaging chip should 'bring you in' right around the usual, expected, old "SuperScope" ratio of [approximately] 2.0:1 as well. Now, using this lens with the gate-ratio of a "Super 16mm" film camera, or, for that matter, a modern, native 16:9 imaging chip for Digital Video/'Film'-Making though, the Anamorphic will render [roughly] a 2.67:1 aspect-ratio, which falls squarely into the 'zone' occupied by that of the original 20th Century-Fox "CinemaScope" process (Approximately 2.66:1, before some cropping for Stereo Magnetic Sound Tracks and such, which brought it down to about 2.55:1). While it's true that an Isco 54 - 1.33X (IF you could find one!!) used under these same parameters/conditions would 'come in' with a finished screen-ratio of about 2.36:1, very near the 'desired', albeit somewhat 'mythical' 2.35:1 theatrical 'standard' of modern "Panavision" and other proprietary Anamorphic processes (actually the newer SMPTE [and other standards-certifying institutes] ratio has been agreed-upon/up-graded to about 2.39:1, or even rounded-up to 2.40:1), the exact same [or very similar] results [provided by the 1.33X] can be achieved with THIS lens system utilizing only a slight, post-production aspect-ratio adjustment through a 'cropping-utility', now found in many of the new digital editing/effects software suites, such as "Adobe Premier Elements", and others.

What you REALLY want to avoid is/are the Unscrupulous, Unprincipled Wholly Unknowledgeable, 'Estate Auction' Sellers 'dumping' the numerous, regular, non-outstanding and so-called, "RARE" [God, I HATE that much-overused, over exploited term these kinds of 'SCAVENGERS' abuse regularly here on eBay!!] 16mm Anamorphic PROJECTION LENSES, of questionable sources/dubious condition/lower quality, on the market at the ridiculous, outrageous, astronomically HIGH prices I've been seeing here lately... Yes, these things will work, but NOT remotely like, or anywhere near as well, as optics made for the specific purpose of original image-acquisition, such as is the case with these PROFESSIONAL QUALITY ISCOS. -- Rule-of-thumb: If ya' wanna' SHOW (project) a movie, get a SIMPLE, [reasonably-priced - under $200.00 Bucks, or so] Kowa, Sankor, etc.; but if ya' wanna' MAKE a movie, BUY A COMPOUND-OPTICS, BLOCK-FOCUSING ISCO!!

And as a little piece of trivia: These same, exact "ISCO 54 - 1.5X's" were actually researched and a feasibility-study was done by "Cinema Products Corporation" (creators of the incredibly successful 'CP-16', '16-R', and '16-RA' 16mm Camera lines, and developers/distributors, partnered with Inventor, Garrett Brown, for the world-famous "Steadicam" Camera Stabilizing System) to see-about incorporating them into their [then] newly acquired "Todd-AO" line of widescreen lenses/optical-imaging processes as "Todd-AO 16". The idea was shelved ONLY because the marketplace was overtaken with the continued development/support of the 'Super 16mm' filming process [first introduced in 1969], which somehow seemed simpler to 'the masses'. "Todd-AO 16" was a noble idea though; as many followers know, quite a few great films were made in the the various "Todd-AO" process 'incarnations': "Around the World in 80-Days" ("Todd-AO 70"), "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" and "Logan's Run" (both "Todd-AO 35"), to name but a few!

Maybe it's time to revive the process as "Todd-AO HDV"... or "Todd-AO HD35"...or some similar 'handle'. -- The possibilities are as infinite as your own imagination!!

Oh, and, BTW: YES - This lens CAN be 'backed-up' with all those great 35mm lenses used on the various DOF (Depth-Of-Field) Converters, such as the "Red Rock Micro" line, and others... And remember: this is a heavy piece of glass -- LENS SUPPORT SUCH AS BRIDGE-PLATES, RODS, CLAMPS, ETC., ARE ALL HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND ENCOURAGED!!!!

Well, okay then... IF this is the 'greatest thing since sliced bread', why am I selling it, you might ask??:

Very simple, really -- I originally bought this lens to re-do a film project I first created in 1970, the master having been lost/destroyed in 2000. But when the lens got here, I found that [since it had arrived from overseas] it appeared to have been 'jarred' a bit in transit, and the rear element had worked loose/rotated slightly, thus creating an Anamorphic 'astigmatism' (alignment of Anamorphic cylindrical elements is a VERY precise science, and requires a highly-skilled optical technician with the proper equipment to get things back into adjustment/lock the elements back in place). I was about to take the lens in to MY Optical Tech, when [as hard as these are to find] I suddenly/miraculously 'lucked-into' several more of these within a very brief span of time... SO briefly, in fact, that, simply stated, it was just easier [back then] to get the other lenses, and consequently, this one went up on the shelf as a 'spare' or 'back-up' unit... And NOW, since I have THREE (3) "Isco 54's" (including THIS one, offered here), and a very nice "Isco 42" (for smaller, Prime lenses), I've decided to sell the shelved unit -- WITH TECH SERVICE OFFERED FOR FREE, AUTOMATICALLY, FOR A "BUY IT NOW", OR, WITH ANY BID-AMOUNT OVER $2,600.00, TO BRING THE UNIT BACK UP TO NEAR FACTORY-SPECS, OR BETTER, BEFORE SHIPMENT TO BUYER.

For anything lower, we can negotiate an additional amount [based on the estimate from my Tech - on standby for this job], paid by Buyer, above-and-beyond the final auction price, IF below $2,600.00 by end of auction. Or, for lower values at end of auction, Buyer may take the unit (unserviced), and deal with it as he/she prefers -- HOWEVER, THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED, AS I HAVE ONE OF THE BEST LENS TECHS IN THE BUSINESS TO DO THIS RIGHT/GUARANTEE THE WORK, AND RETURNS CAN NOT BE PERMITTED. ALSO: THIS ITEM WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO SHIP WITHOUT ADEQUATE INSURANCE, BASED ON THE FINAL VALUE AT TIME OF AUCTION'S CLOSE

Kindly remember that this is a very expensive 'piece of glass', BECAUSE HIGH PRECISION COSTS MONEY -- It was originally valued at about $3,400.00 retail, so PLEASE BE SERIOUS WITH THE BIDDING, AND BE CERTAIN THAT IT WILL PROPERLY SUIT YOUR PURPOSES! I'VE SUPPLIED YOU WITH A GREAT AMOUNT OF VERY VALUABLE, EXTREMELY DETAILED AND HIGHLY DESCRIPTIVE INFORMATION, SO THERE SHOULDN'T BE TOO MANY QUESTIONS, HOWEVER, IF I HAPPEN TO HAVE MISSED SOMETHING, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO INQUIRE -- Oh, and, BTW: The rear Step-Ring/Adapter thread is 77mm; the front Barrel Diameter is 100mm, and the Filter Thread size is 95mm.

This Auction does not picture Front and Rear lens caps; however, when the lens is sent to my Tech for final servicing/adjustment/restoration of specs, I will instruct him to provide some of the proper sizes for BOTH ends of this Iscorama 54 - 1.5X Anamorphic Lens unit.

PHOTO REFERENCES AND CAPTIONS:

First-off, apologies for the slightly out-of-focus photography on the close-up stuff -- Some of my equipment is in for service, and I had to borrow a friend's digital 'point-and-shoot' camera [that - as I discovered too late - OBVIOUSLY, can't cover CU work very well] in order to post this auction -- Sorry about that (If you need some different shots to better determine the item/its' condition, don't hesitate to contact me, and I can e-mail you some more; just tell me what angles you're interested in. I shot MANY more pics than what was finally posted here.)

ALL PHOTOS FEATURE THE EXACT ISCO LENS THAT IS FOR SALE IN THIS AUCTION - NO SUBSTITUTES WERE USED, AND THIS IS PRECISELY THE ITEM YOU WILL RECEIVE.

ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: THIS AUCTION IS FOR THE [FULLY SERVICED] ISCO LENS ONLY, AND DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY OF THE DEPICTED CAMERAS, SUPPORT, OR STABILIZER EQUIPMENT. THESE ITEMS ARE SHOWN MERELY TO ILLUSTRATE/DEMONSTRATE THE ISCO'S ABILITY TO ADAPT-TO/FUNCTION-ON AND WITH, MANY, MANY, REAL-WORLD, PRACTICAL PRODUCTION SET-UPS FOUND IN COMMON USAGE THROUGHOUT THE PROFESSIONAL, 'MAINSTREAM' AND 'INDEPENDENT' INDUSTRIES.

# 1. - Isco 54 - 1.5X, Front View.

# 2. - Isco 54, Rear View.

# 3. - Isco, Dial Caliper Measurement - 100mm (just under 4").

# 4. - From Left-to-Right: Isco 54 (Far Left), compared with: Isco 42 (Second from Left), also 'Block-Focusing'; Moeller 1.5X Anamorphic (Second from Right), Typically used on Bolex Cameras; Kowa 16-H, 2X compression (Extreme Right) - Often sold by SCAVENGERS here for Canon 5D Mark II work, etc., but FAR too much compression for 1.78:1 (16:9, HDTV) type work (resulting in almost 4.0:1 [about 3.56:1, actually] 'slit' image!!), unless using older, digital imaging chip (3:4), which would yield approx. 2.66:1 aspect ratio. And of course, the 5D's shoot 16:9 video, so the 2X is DEFINITE OVERKILL FOR THAT USE, and an extreme crop would be defeating the whole purpose here.

# 5. - View, looking through Anamorphic (Intentional vignette to show that shot is actually being made through lens).

# 6. - Camera all the way up against Rear Element, to show complete image capabilities W/O vignette.

# 7. - Isco mounted on Bell & Howell Filmo 70-HR, 16mm Camera, with Matte Box, 15mm Rails, Bridge Plate, Support, etc. Backed-up by Angenieux 17-68mm Zoom Lens with Through-The-Lens (prism/beam-splitter, periscope-type) Side Viewfinder.

# 8. - Operating the Camera System/Pulling Focus with the single 'Block Focus' Ring, to adjust entire 'Optical Train', in ONE (1) operation.

# 9. - Isco attached to Canon HV-30 HD (1080i) Hi-Def Camcorder. Image through Anamorphic is visible on Monitor/Side Viewfinder of the Mini-DV Camera.

#10.- Operating the Canon HV-30, with the Isco 'Block Focus' over-ride (Camera lens' focus set on MANUAL, locked at INFINITY).

#11.- Isco/Canon 'combo' mounted on my own, proprietary, self-machined "CineGlide" Camera Stabilizer unit. External, light-weight springs are loaded for Digital Video/'Cinema' work (Heavy Load springs have been removed from interior of arm 'bones' for this application).

#12.- Isco/Canon 'combo' 'flying' on "CineGlide" Stabilizer unit -- Isco's Anamorphic elements clearly visible through "Cavision" 4" X 5.65" Widescreen Matte Box Front.

ATTENTION -- STOLEN PROPERTY ALERT: BETWEEN MID-DECEMBER OF 2009, AND THE PRESENT DATE (MARCH OF 2010) SEVERAL ITEMS BELONGING-TO AND STOLEN FROM ME APPEARED ON EBAY AND WERE SOLD BY THE FOLLOWING SELLERS: "themicks3", AND "onebuckauctions2010". The items included TWO (2) ANGENIEUX 12-120MM ZOOM LENSES (ONE WITH SIDEFINDER, ONE WITH FINDER MISSING [PARTS UNIT], IN GRAY, HINGED, PLASTIC BOX, TWO (2) ANGENIEUX 17-68MM ZOOM LENSES WITH SIDEFINDER, AND TWO (2) KOWA (INFLIGHT-STYLE) 1.5X ANAMORPHIC PROJECTION LENSES. ALTHOUGH BOTH KOWAS APPEARED TO HAVE BEEN SOLD BY "themicks3", ONE MAY HAVE BEEN RETURNED, OR NOT PAYED-FOR, AS IT APPEARED AGAIN, WITHIN THE LAST FEW DAYS ON THE SITE OF "onebuckauctions2010", AND SOLD AS A "BUY-IT-NOW" ITEM. EBAY HAS BEEN CONTACTED, AND A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED IN DECEMBER, 2009. THE ITEMS WERE STOLEN VIA AN ILLEGAL 'AUCTION' FROM A STORAGE-BUILDING, A [CONVERTED TO OFFICE/WORK-FACILITY] MOTORHOME, AND A 40-FOOT, 30, 000 POUND, STEEL FREIGHT CONTAINER THAT HAD JUST BEEN SHIPPED AT GREAT PERSONAL EXPENSE FROM THE EAST COAST OF THE USA. THROUGH FALSE REPRESENTATIONS, CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS GAINED ILLEGAL ACCESS TO THESE ITEMS AND PASSED THEM OFF TO OTHER INDIVIDUALS. MANY OF THESE ITEMS REPRESENTED THE EXPENDITURE OF MY VALUABLE, PERSONAL RESOURCES, AND [LITERALLY] YEARS OF MY WORK IN HAVING ACQUIRED THEM IN THE FIRST-PLACE. I KNOW THAT MANY OF YOU VIEW THESE LISTINGS ON A REGULAR BASIS, AND WOULD NOT WANT THIS SAME THING TO HAPPEN TO YOU. I ALSO KNOW WHO, EXACTLY, BOUGHT MY ITEMS, AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE... PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I WILL BE SEEKING TO GET EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE STOLEN PROPERTIES BACK, AND AM PURSUING PROSECUTION OF THE GUILTY PARTIES... I HAVE SPENT MANY YEARS COLLECTING THESE ITEMS, AND NOW SETS [NECESSARY TO MY LECTURES, TEACHINGS, AND WORK] HAVE BEEN NEEDLESSLY 'BROKEN-UP' BY SCAVENGERS WHO HAVE NO RESPECT AND/OR GENUINE APPRECIATION FOR WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN -- JUST BE IT KNOWN THAT YOU HAVE PILLAGED, DESTROYED, AND DECIMATED ONE MAN'S GOOD WORKS [AND MUCH FAMILY HISTORY/ASSETS AS WELL], AND THESE DEEDS WILL NOT GO UN-PUNISHED, NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES. ANY ONE BUYING ON EBAY IS WELL-ADVISED TO CHECK YOUR SELLERS/MERCHANTS CAREFULLY, AND IF SOMEONE 'DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT...' AN ITEM, OR SAYS THEY JUST GOT IT OUT OF SOME BOX AT AN 'ESTATE SALE', ASK DETAILED QUESTIONS, AND DON'T ACCEPT EXCUSES, OR CONVOLUTED STORIES ABOUT AN ITEM'S 'ORIGINS' -- THESE GUYS TOLD BUYERS THAT MY STUFF CAME FROM 'AN ESTATE'... ONLY TROUBLE IS, THE RIGHTFUL OWNER IS RIGHT HERE, IS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE -- AND WANTS IT ALL BACK... NOW!!

ALL EBAY USERS, PLEASE:

"CAVEAT EMPTOR" -- "LET THE BUYER BEWARE"!!!!!!!!!!
    Visit my channel to see my latest videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lowlypawn

Comment

read the answers to various potential buyers inquiries... hilarious!
      that guy needs help from a professional

Comment

The man is insane.

Comment

Question & Answer Answered On April 2, 2010:

Q: Mr. Blake, I am the person that you have accused of selling a lens that was supposedly stolen from you. Let me assure you that if this is your lens I want nothing more than to return it to you. I had a Deputy from the S.B.S.O come to my house today and he can find no record of this lens being reported stolen. Further, he shows no record of a William Blake of Phelan ever filing a report. If you have one and can provide me with a report number and the Sheriff's office can determine that I have your property, I will return it. I have never stolen or knowingly sold anything stolen in my life. I would very much appreciate you removing any such accusations from your listings on ebay. Thank You. Apr-02-10

A: WELL, WELL, "onebuckauctions2010"... IT'S ABOUT TO GET MUCH, MUCH WORSE FOR YOU THAN JUST THE LENS... EVERY SINGLE ITEM YOU'RE CURRENTLY OFFERING WAS SCAVENGED FROM MY FAMILY'S ESTATE IN BERLIN, NEW JERSEY... IT COST ME $50,000.00 TOTAL TO GO BACK, PACK, CRATE, & SHIP EVERYTHING OUT HERE AFTER MY MOTHER'S DEATH (I AM THE SOLE, SURVIVING SON OF MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY'S BRANCH). I KNOW, THAT ALL OF THOSE 8MM FILMS WERE IN TWO (2) 'VAULT-TYPE', SHEET-METAL, HINGED, LATCHED, FILM STORAGE BOXES, FOR EXAMPLE; I LABELED THOSE MYSELF WHEN I WAS ABOUT 16 YEARS OLD, & UNTIL LATE AUGUST OF 2008, THEY WERE ALL IN THE CLOSET OF MY CHILDHOOD ROOM (I CHALLENGE A MATCH OF THE HANDWRITING/LABELING STYLE)!! YOU ARE OFFERING CHILDHOOD GIFTS/CHERISHED MEMORIES, GIVEN ME BY MY [NOW-DECEASED] FATHER (THE PHILLIES BASEBALL & RCA EMPLOYEES-DAY PENNANT ARE ONLY TWO EXHIBITS)!! I'M CERTAIN MY 40' FREIGHT CONTAINER IS OUT THERE IN APPLE VALLEY [JUST A FEW SHORT MILES FROM HERE], & THE SHEER AUDACITY OF SAYING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS [WHAT-SO-EVER] LEAVES ME IN UTTER SHOCK & DISBELIEF. HOW, FOR INSTANCE, WOULD YOU KNOW THAT THE 'NON-EXISTENT' POLICE REPORT WAS IN THE NAME OF "WILLIAM BLAKE"? IF YOU 'DON'T KNOW ME', YOU'D HAVE NO IDEA HOW I'M KNOWN IN MY DAY-TO-DAY DEALINGS! NO, YOU KNOW MORE THAN YOU'RE LETTING-ON, & I BELIEVE YOU ARE NOW 'BACK-PEDDLING' TO PREVENT MORE DIRE CONSEQUENCES!! -- OH, &, BTW: THE POLICE REPORT (CASE NO. 070905386) WAS TAKEN 12/09/2009, BY DEPUTY OFFICER P. KOWALSKI, BADGE NUMBER D-7729. ADDITIONALLY, EVERYTHING WAS DOCUMENTED W/35MM STILLS, ON OVER 30 HOURS OF HI-8 & PROFESSIONAL, HIGH-DEF, DIGITAL VIDEO BACK IN NEW JERSEY - ON-SITE - AS ITEMS WERE BEING FOUND, PACKED-UP & REMOVED TO THE REFERENCED 40' FREIGHT CONTAINER I PURCHASED FOR $5,000.00 IN PENSYLVANIA... IT'S REGRETTABLE THAT I'VE HAD TO SOIL THIS AUCTION W/ALL OF THIS, BUT YOUR ACTIONS HAVE FORCED MY HAND -- I WANT ALL OF EBAY AWARE, & I PUBLICLY DEMAND TO KNOW WHERE THE REST OF MY FAMILY'S PROPERTY IS!!

Comment

Whack!

Has anyone actually ever used these lenses to shoot something besides "tests?"

Indie Film Technique
            Apex Visuals

Comment

what do you mean ? iscos, kowas & such have been used as attachments to shoot for ages....
              if someone buys the resulting images, it's not a test anymore, is it ?

Comment

Yes, I have.

Comment

This guy is an arrogant idiotic f*ck. I would really like to kick him in the ass! And he was hysterical when he was called as a greedy pig...

Comment

"I've decided to sell the shelved unit -- WITH TECH SERVICE OFFERED FOR FREE, AUTOMATICALLY, FOR A "BUY IT NOW", OR, WITH ANY BID-AMOUNT OVER $2,600.00, TO BRING THE UNIT BACK UP TO NEAR FACTORY-SPECS, OR BETTER, BEFORE SHIPMENT TO BUYER."

Umkaaayyy...

Indie Film Technique
                    Apex Visuals

Comment

such abusive usage of "shouting over the internet" using all caps in the middle of sentences is the ultimate rudeness and should result in extreme caution from potential bidders...
                      beware drama queen ahead and trouble foreseen...
                      i hope this isco remains broken on the shelf and nobody buys into such an outrageous offer. basically the seller tries to get rid of a broken item for the price of mint working ones plus the full refurbishing bill. how lame of an attitude ! if he got it fixed ahead and swallowed the repair cost, it would have already found a new home at a sensible price.
                      a very greedy pig... indeed !

Comment

He's back!

Still completely overpriced and out there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ISCO-OPTICS-ISCO...item45f218a35d

He definitely needs lots of questions as he appears to have taken the others down.

Comment

Starting bid $1600.00 - bummer, for a broken lens???

I wonder if he'll accept $16

Will post his response... if he replies. Teehee.

Comment

This will be fun to watch.

Comment

I sold my unbroken isco 54 for $1500. It isn't nearly as sharp as the isco 36 but is better than the panasonic.
                              gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X