C200 SMM - I got it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C200 SMM - I got it

Dunno wether to document my journey with the C200 I just bought (2021)

Ive been moaning on the sony forums for an age. Well here is the first huge canon win..

wire.jpg

What does this long '10' cable mean?

It means that the internal monitor can now be placed to make a balanced shoulder mount or put somewhere on my Movi Pro cage.

Using the onboard monitor keeps on in for touch focus and away from external battery solutions.

This is enough reason to avoid sony
    http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

As ive gone canon Im keeping it cheap.

So far 15-85, 300/4 IS
    Ordered
    24-70/4 10-22
    Hawkwoods battery
    Hunting for
    Canon RP and ND lensconverter. This will be my walkabout camera with the 24-70

Ill probably get a 60 macro and a nifty fify 1.8

And 256 + 128 of media

Comment

Nice one Sam, interested to hear if you like it after a few months. It's a good time to load up on used EF glass too.

When monitoring sound, I program buttons 8 and 9 for headphone volume decrease and increase so no need to use menus.

My mum has an RP for her own work, now that you've mentioned it I'm going to revisit the camera for 1080p shooting, it's an easy camera to shoot with.
      robnortondp.com

Comment

“ away from external battery solutions.

This is enough reason to avoid sony.”

I don’t understand what this means. Are you saying you could not get the Sony eyepiece far enough away for the camera to be balanced ( something the camera was never intended to be )?

Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing where market demand for camera model isn’t a factor? I would think one would lose out on opportunity by owning a C200 and not a camera model more in demand.

fyi:

Crews Control latest usage figures-

PXW-FS7: 31.23%
        PXW-FS7 M2: 11.59%
        PXW-FX9: 10.33%
        EOS C300 Mark II: 8.31%
        PMW-F55: 3.78%
        PMW-F5: 3.27%
        All Other Cameras: <3%
        Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by JPNola View Post
          “ away from external battery solutions.

This is enough reason to avoid sony.”
          Ever since I had the FS7 I found I could not get the screen far enough forward to balance the camera on my shoulder. Ive seen it used lots on the shoulder by others but I think they were fighting it - nothing like an ENG camera.
          The reason that pesky lead is too short.
          Because of this I 'had' to buy a DP 502 and organise an external battery system (vlock) which both cost a couple of $000 and also hugely upscaled the camera in terms of size and mass.

'Having' to spend 30% of the cost of the camera because Sony skimped on a $20 lead made me very angry. The dum youtubers not pointing this out more angry. It seems that the yoof and others have no idea how a camera needs to be to work professionally. While I come from stills Ive been hanging out the 2/3 crowd on the same news jobs for a decade or two before I got into 'motion' and did a lot of 'pre learning'!

It doesnt help that the FS7 onboard monitor has a mushy focus bash, does/did not support LUTs in all framerates and has no RGB wfm to evaluate colour.

This meant the FS7 while very nice in that shoulder configuration with the 502 it was not the agile camera I thought I was buying. Ill be clear - I think the FS7/DP502/Vlock combintion is a really good shoulder build.

Enter the Movi Pro and the inability to add the sony stock monitor to the Movi ring (because of short lead) is an extra level of pain. AFAIK it would be the same for the FX9 and FX6.

Also the service failure implications of a built in lead are massive. No swapping it out if it fails.

Canon kill one for $250 for the longer lead but the builds it opens up are huge.

Imaging a movi pro with tap to focus area vs one without.. its pretty massive.
          Last edited by morgan_moore; 04-27-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing where market demand for camera model isn’t a factor? I would think one would lose out on opportunity by owning a C200 and not a camera model more in demand.
            Well I have an FS7 for now.

On Movi work my line is this.. "I have a C200, we can rent a C500, FX6 or Alexa mini, but if you want to save cash and time my C200 is here"

Knowing really well sony and canon menus helps - im sure my FS7 'skills' mean Id be happy with the FX6 - my 10min taster with it found it intuitive.

I shoot 'in house' for our own clients (eg https://www.instagram.com/forestholidays/ about 60% on this feed is not us!)

These jobs are produced by my chum who shoots canon stills, and has always dislike sony colour and felt I was hampered by manual focus. He over the moon Im going canon and will lend me any of his glass from 14 prime, tilt and shift through to 400/2.8

Our other bigger client is more packshots and ideally uses his BMC 4kraw, accusing the FS7 of having a thin codec (true) - again he is super happy Im going raw with my camera to match his 4kraw files.

Ive done one 'phone in' interview since Ive had the canon and the client didnt ask and I just enjoyed face af.

Ive lost one job this week.. I think that is more because I cant 'fly' an alexa on my movi than because I have/not a CanonSony.

The biggest job I did with the FS7 should have paid for it.. but the production co. did a deal with a rental house for five and mine sat at home unused.
            Last edited by morgan_moore; 04-27-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post
              Nice one Sam, interested to hear if you like it after a few months. It's a good time to load up on used EF glass too.

When monitoring sound, I program buttons 8 and 9 for headphone volume decrease and increase so no need to use menus.

My mum has an RP for her own work, now that you've mentioned it I'm going to revisit the camera for 1080p shooting, it's an easy camera to shoot with.
              I think im enjoying it already.

I have not got into customising the buttons but having headphones not as a menu dig will be cool!

Ive not investigaget 'HFR' or found a button forit. and maybe how one could get HD 120 quickly.

Im a bit scared of the buttons as what is 'off' - for examply one can assign face rec.. but when one hits it a second time what do you get? Manual single push or what. What is 'not face rec'

I dont know about the RP being good.. simply im not inclined to spend on an R5 - the RP has DPAF wich is the biggie and apparently a half decent way of going from stills to vid settings.

Its about building the infrastucture at the moment - behind lens ND being the rip off element that I cant find used.

Comment

I always wondered why Sony or one of the accessory businesses couldn’t produce an extension cable for that VF cable, going between the port on the body and the stock cable.
                Sachtler tripod user for 40+ years.

Comment

So I shot 3 days last week. Did a couple of wonders with the gimbal and AF 80mm - impossible before without a puller and my full remote foucs rig.

My best shot was MF with the FS7 as that is quick to grab if the C200 is tied on the gimbal. The 17-85 is a wonder lens - horrid but wonderful.

C200 raw seems more appealing than Slog2 4k - just pop it in reolve (which also now has an auto proxy workflow) press a button , dirnk some tea have easy playback 4k raw that is referenced during Exports.

To complete (ha ha) my swap to Canon I bought a Canon RP today which will go with my 24-70f4L that I bought.

With a flippy screen and facetrack it seems like the thing for vlogging and having in the bag (there is that option for behind lens ND which Ill get in time) - or on the gimbal when c200 is playing A and FS7 is at home or sold.

Last 3 days private video some chops https://vimeo.com/546827932/0475bc5bff
                  Last edited by morgan_moore; 05-08-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I always wondered why Sony or one of the accessory businesses couldn’t produce an extension cable for that VF cable, going between the port on the body and the stock cable.
                    On the VF cable having a long cable to put the monitor on the Movi ring is a big deal and does work. Having an onboard monitor that doesnt occupy any ports or power is great, bash AF point is even better.

Comment

I always considered the FS7 to be a 15k camera not a sub 10k. Everything protruding from the body is useless the viewfinder, you have to get all of these replaced to actually work with it without strain.
                      B
                      QUOTE=morgan_moore;1986865709]On the VF cable having a long cable to put the monitor on the Movi ring is a big deal and does work. Having an onboard monitor that doesnt occupy any ports or power is great, bash AF point is even better.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

Save it for mums!

I think Im selling/returning the RP after one week. It seems way soft.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAB1ZPwC6oA

The R6 might be within my (new) budget and might not be an embarrasement.

I foookin hate you tubers who cant even shoot a ketchup bottle to look at sharpness. Where is one suposed to find out about cameras today - the manufacs have no info and the youtubers are less competent than toddlers. Even DP review dont find any colour artifacts in the RF.
                        Last edited by morgan_moore; 05-16-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

recent update on the R6 overheating times with latest firmware - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70mlZDbQlAw

it seems to me like the R6 doesn't have any overheat-free safe modes like the R5 has...
                          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                            Save it for mums!

I think Im selling/returning the RP after one week. It seems way soft.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAB1ZPwC6oA

The R6 might be within my (new) budget and might not be an embarrasement.

I foookin hate you tubers who cant even shoot a ketchup bottle to look at sharpness. Where is one suposed to find out about cameras today - the manufacs have no info and the youtubers are less competent than toddlers. Even DP review dont find any colour artifacts in the RF.
                            I don't know who recommended you that camera for video, but if you're on a forum it is a worldwide known fact - and you've been here a while - that Canon cripples their cameras.

They would rather give you a truck filled with printers rather than sell you a camera for $1000 with anything usable in it for video.

All you had to do was ask here how the quality was in HD.

Switch the camera to 4K and you will at least see an improvement (they did that for us), but no DPAF AF. However, since your tests are 60p I'm guessing this was supposed to be a 60p camera and since 60p is only in HD, it's probably just not going to work for you.

Comment

You bring up a good point that the (uploaded) video is 50p - Ill check that because I thought I was in 25p.

---

I have a funny relationship with 'resolution' and 'forum advice' because Im actually not that fussy about peeping pixels .. until I am. To me HD is 'good enough' .. but I do mean actual HD it would appear (F35, Arri, even EX1 bmc micro, F3 Gh4 4k->HD Z6 4k->HD)

I didnt realise the video was as bad as the 5d2.. I watched 1000 youtubers say the camera was OK for HD video. I didnt realise it was a step back to 2007.

---

Norboro.

Can you make a direct comment on the canon R6 for HD delivery (4k aquire) .. im just after gimbal/walkabout B cam with my C200 or FS7 doing the heavy lifting and long takes.

I tend to shoot a method of takes no one on yourtube* has tested for overheating. 3mins chat with director/talent, roll 15s, repeat.

*clearly none of them has ever done a job of work.

Comment

Working...
                              X