Writing stand up comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing stand up comedy

Started doing open mics in my area about nine months ago. Really enjoying it. Has recharged my writing. Very addictive. Never thought I could perform but now absolutely love it.

That's awesome. When I was a teen I dreamt of pursuing standup. Would listen to all the records of famous comedians, Allen, Bruce, etc. I studied acting for a decade and always thought I might give it a shot - but alas... Hope ya post yer stuff here one day.

Comment

Saw my first live standup at the comedy store about 92. It was an open mic. Handful of audience members , sat in the back by myself . Just picked a zoom q2n4k. Very helpful for working on material and overall comfort level. I have more complicated cameras but this tool is very useful. Heard an older comic say its the closest feeling to when you were in high-school or college and you were with buddy's doing fun stuff. Will post something at some point. Never to late.

Comment

I did some standup back in the mid-80's Milwaukee. Since I had a noticeable accent at the time - I still have some - I didn't think I could do "American" jokes per se, so I talked about the Soviet Union a lot. I also was a poor performer - once again, this may have something to do with my background - so I often felt like imitating Steven Wright's deadpan delivery a little (I was also a huge fan of his and even met him once after his show). At the same time, I was quite cognizant of the popular styles of the time, from Wright to Emo Philips to Jerry Seinfeld and tried finding my own. But then I quit performing.

Over a decade later, after I resumed writing, II happened to email a very prominent TV critic and wrote a few one-liners on whatever topic she was covering. We began to exchange correspondence and, at some point, she recommended I do a Spalding Gray type monologue performance show. And, now having turned 60, I have wealth of material for it. I could easily do an hour on Putin alone.

Comment

Working...
        X