• Time
  • Show
Clear All

added a really cool video to a DIY vacuum former
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

Comment

Hi, I've been trawling the 'net for a while looking for good film-related tutorials to compile a links page for an amateur film-making group here in the UK.

I have concentrated on the 'practical' side in particular, so sites that discuss/show You how to do low-budget stuff in the real world - not in software - is what I'm after.
      Here's a good one with guides for all the usual practical FX stuff; smoke, explosions, snow, etc.

http://www.detonationfilms.com/Cheap...and_Tricks.htm

I have just found this intelligent QandA on a set painter's site here in the UK.
      It is specifically for amateur Theatre, but worth a look as a lot of the design advice and techniques described, would be transferable/adaptable to film-set use.

http://www.set-painting.com/QandA/QandA_LIST.htm

I'll post more as/when I find them.

Cheers, Theron.
      Last edited by Reith tv-films; 07-04-2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: additional link, and correcting My crap spelling!!

Comment

Another Set Building resource-

Thanks for starting this Shawn.

Here is a web site that I have been following for the last year- it is really fun to follow when class is in session:
        http://www.setbuild.ucreative.ac.uk/current.php

BTW- anyone have any suggestions / idea on how to join two flats together in an easy way that would allow for break down / transport / storage, but also allow for a seamless join? (Or am I asking for to much ... )
        Cheers,
        Ryan E. Walters
        Cinematographer
        www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
        Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

Comment

Well...good carpentry with good straight stock and alignment via coffin latches or comparable fasteners will get you close enough that taping and painting the seam is about all you will have to do to complete setup.

I think that's as close as the breakdown you describe will come, to seamless.
          The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
          ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
          ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

Comment

Thanks- sounds like a possible solution. (I'll have to test out my carpentry skills ...)

For flats that are not going to be borken down / stored, what is the common way of attaching them together? Is it to screw them together and then tape / mud the joints?
            Cheers,
            Ryan E. Walters
            Cinematographer
            www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
            Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

Comment

Yeah, align and screw together across the outside framing, then putty, sand and finish the joint. A tape seam is really only for wild joins because under certain conditions it will be visible to camera.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
              ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)

Comment

I usually go for the "don't tell Me, show Me" style of tutorial, but this
                company (based in Britain) has some very comprehensive - though not well illustrated - info for plaster mouldings, casting etc. and should be useful to anyone needing to copy even the most detailed of architectural features, or copying of valuable props for breaking, etc.

Comment

If it's architectural detail type stuff you're after, contact the Paramount, Disney and Fox studios' Staff Departments and request copies of their catalogs. Moldings, staff details, you name it, all for the copying or ordering.

Comment

We need some good ones on making foam rocks and generally working with polysterene. Anyone got any?
                    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
                    -Michel Gondry

Comment

soundstage.jpg

Here is a diagram from the set we build for a feature film I produced.
                      Indie Film Producer
                      Film Funding Blog

Comment

Very useful!

Comment

Working...
                        X