Looking for earset microphone recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for earset microphone recommendations

Does anyone have experience with earset microphones?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The microphone will be used for live presentations at a corporation's in-house conference center.

I was looking at the Countryman E6, and need it terminated in 3-pin Lemo.

I haven't been given a specific budget range, but I think I'll have better luck getting funding approval if the mic is in the $300-$400 range.

The Countryman E6 is an oldie but a goodie. I’ve used them for years in live presentations and they’ve never let me down. You might find them hard to locate in stock at the moment, though.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

$300-400 is not much if it is a hardwired earset mic, if you are plugging into a pro mixer or interface, the power supply/XLR adapter adds about $100 (or more) to the base price. If your already have a wireless system or are plugging into a 3.5mm mic input, that is significantly less $. Get an omni-directional model if is not used in conjunction with a live sound system where feedback is an issue There any many to choose from in the $200-300 range. Stay away from the under $100 earset mics, some sound OK, but they break real easy,

Comment

Any other suggestions of similar performance/quality?

The mic will be used in a space with 14-ft ceilings fitted with ceiling speakers, and I'll route a feed run into a MS Teams meeting.

I'll use the mic with Sennheiser SK2000 transmitters, and as I said in my original post, I need it terminated in 3-pin LEMO.

Comment

You can't just plug any old mic into a wireless body back and expect it to work. Some companies sell unterminated mics that you pay for the appropriate jack to be soldered on. Even so some mics are not supported, so don't go running out and getting any old mic you fancy.

Comment

Why would you think that's my premise?

In my first post I said 3-pin LEMO, and in my second post I further clarified for use with a Sennheiser SK2000.

Did you even read my posts, because I really don't know how to be any more clear?

Comment

In fairness - I've had people order things, and solder on their connector to discover they didn't work?

I destroy headset mics in my shows. I have a Sound 2, who keeps them all going as long as we can, but they're still a very big disposable item cost. We do keep a supply of cheap Chinese ones for the fiddlers. The ones who constantly break mics by wiggling, bending and carelessness. After two breakages, not the fault of the mics, we swap them for the Chinese ones, and apart from a little EQ, we get away with it in most cases. We don't tell them they are now on a $40 headset, but keep the pressure up for them to be more careful. Usually breakages then go down, and we swap back to the proper ones (DPAs for us mainly, although we do have the Countrymans too) - a quick button press and the old EQ is restored.

Comment

Originally posted by paulears View Post
                In fairness - I've had people order things, and solder on their connector to discover they didn't work?

I destroy headset mics in my shows. I have a Sound 2, who keeps them all going as long as we can, but they're still a very big disposable item cost. We do keep a supply of cheap Chinese ones for the fiddlers. The ones who constantly break mics by wiggling, bending and carelessness. After two breakages, not the fault of the mics, we swap them for the Chinese ones, and apart from a little EQ, we get away with it in most cases. We don't tell them they are now on a $40 headset, but keep the pressure up for them to be more careful. Usually breakages then go down, and we swap back to the proper ones (DPAs for us mainly, although we do have the Countrymans too) - a quick button press and the old EQ is restored.
                Yeah the Chinese ones work pretty good if you treat them well. Schools often use them for budget reason and the kids beat them up and often fail so they get a bad rap.

My other point was if you buy an expensive mic that's not compatible for some reason with your wireless body pack, once you have an end soldered on you can't return it.

I had a instance where I got a mic for my Sony Wireless unit the mic was terminated with the same type of end TRS but didn't work because it was wired differently.

(I ignored the rude response. Not worth my time and energy)
                Last edited by Peter C.; 06-24-2022, 05:18 AM.

Comment

You could take a look at the Oscar Sound Tech units. They're definitely in your price range. I have a number of their lav mics and they're very good for the money. Service is responsive too as they are a small company. You can order direct from them. http://oscarsoundtech.com/aboutus.html
                  They'll terminate for your particular wireless.
                  Here's another option: https://www.point-sourceaudio.com
                  Might be outside of your price range but worth looking at anyway.
                  Last edited by berniebeaudry; 06-24-2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I'm currently using Sennheiser lavs with 104 capsules, but I'd like to get some earset mics, mainly for female presenters, as they often wear jewelry that can bump into the lav.

I looked at the Oscar SoundTech, but it's really more of a headset mic than an earset mic, and I don't think it would work well for women with long hair. It's a shame, as they're cheap enough that I could justify buying a bunch of them.

Comment

Originally posted by paulears View Post
                      Another plus for the E6: the most likely failure point is at the connector, and the fix is to replace the $70 cable at the quick-disconnect behind the ear mount. I’ve had to do this a couple of times, and even than I’ve been able to get the old cable repaired so I have a spare when it happens again.
                      Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

I currently own a few Countryman E6 earsets and couple E2 (shorter arm). They work well and sound good. I'd be happy with other brands (DPA, for example). But I've had mixed to negative experiences with some lower-priced models. One that sticks in my mind is a $100-$150USD (or so) Point Source Audio earset. It works and is OK for sound reinforcement, but doesn't sound great to me (especially if I'm mixing it with more-expensive earsets). But some people I trust say good things about Point Source's more expensive models. Looks like they clearly spell out what the consider budget, and what they don't. I was A2 on a live-singing event that used a mix of Countryman and DPA and those all sounded great (because mics belonged to the mixer and he knew how to work each unit).

Paul's point about things going wrong, sometimes with the help of talent, is a good one. If you have a $400 budget for an earset mic, it might make sense to buy two $200 earsets, live with the less-great audio, but be comforted knowing if one goes dead, you'll have a backup...

https://countryman.com/product-category/microphones/

https://www.point-sourceaudio.com

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/heads...et-microphones

Everyone: Thanks for the solid comments in this thread. Always great to see what others are using and experiencing.
                        ----------
                        Jim Feeley
                        POV Media

Comment

Working...
                        X