• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
    These are some of my little “quality of life” toys:

Tablet/phone holder for the bags
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Angled platform to set bag on go work out of(was only like $9 so I figured I’d try it, instead of constantly sticking a battery under it)

Battery Powered Hand Held Label Printer primarily for slate

Boom Buddy(instead of fishing pole holder)
    https://www.boom-buddy.com/

Orca Magnetic Boom Pole Holder system
    https://www.orcabags.com/product/or-...ompole-holder/

Divided Silicon Tray to place lav’s, pack’s, etc. in when prepping on-site
    Just placed an order for the Boom Buddy. Didn't know about this piece of kit. Thanks for the heads up and thanks to Alex for starting the thread.

Comment

Angled platform to set bag on go work out of(was only like $9 so I figured I’d try it, instead of constantly sticking a battery under it)
      Which bag(s) do you use? One of the best things for me about the new X-series of K-Tek Stingray is that they come with removable kickstands, so they can be set down on a table or utility cart.

Divided Silicon Tray to place lav’s, pack’s, etc. in when prepping on-site
      Weird... I use the same tray for my chickie nuggies and mac and cheese. Seriously, though, awesome find. Just ordered one for my utility cart.

I’ve started keeping a set of titanium camping utensils on my cart, especially with production during COVID. Too many times over the last year, I’ve been on a shoot where catering was on the struggle bus and didn’t bring enough cutlery for lunch, or I’ve been traveling and ordered delivery to the hotel and it came with no cutlery. And it cuts down on disposable plastics use.

And for those reading this thread who don’t have one, I highly recommend an RF Explorer. This is the quickest and easiest way to get a realtime view of what’s in the air on set or on location. Wireless receivers usually have some sort of clear scan function, but they usually aren’t 100% reliable.

Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

Originally posted by ozmorphasis View Post

Just placed an order for the Boom Buddy. Didn't know about this piece of kit. Thanks for the heads up and thanks to Alex for starting the thread.
        And a little mod I did to mine: I put some super thin felt tape over the ribbed rubber inside the "hooks" so that it is easier to rotate the boom on the axis of the pole, if you need to tweak it slightly. Obviously you will lose some of the gripping power if it's at a more extreme angle, but not much of an issue if it's fairly horizontal/parallel to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex H. View Post

Which bag(s) do you use? One of the best things for me about the new X-series of K-Tek Stingray is that they come with removable kickstands, so they can be set down on a table or utility cart.

Weird... I use the same tray for my chickie nuggies and mac and cheese. Seriously, though, awesome find. Just ordered one for my utility cart.

I’ve started keeping a set of titanium camping utensils on my cart, especially with production during COVID. Too many times over the last year, I’ve been on a shoot where catering was on the struggle bus and didn’t bring enough cutlery for lunch, or I’ve been traveling and ordered delivery to the hotel and it came with no cutlery. And it cuts down on disposable plastics use.

And for those reading this thread who don’t have one, I highly recommend an RF Explorer. This is the quickest and easiest way to get a realtime view of what’s in the air on set or on location. Wireless receivers usually have some sort of clear scan function, but they usually aren’t 100% reliable.
          I'm still running my old-school Petrol Eargonizer bags. They're a little heavy and not perfect, but none of the bags out there right now seem that great, to me at least.

Lol. I stumbled across those trays one day and thought they would make a nice way to keep things together once out of their bags/cases and less prone to getting knocked off onto the ground/getting lost. And easier to see the usually dark items against a bright and colorful background is always helpful, too. If you're prepping a lot of stuff, you may need multiple trays, or just one of the bigger ones.

That's probably not a bad idea to keep your own cutlery around, just in-case. When we first started back in the field last year after the initial covid pause, I was carrying the disposable stuff in a bag with paper towels and a ton of snack foods(PB crackers, pre-packaged trail mix, beef jerky, etc.) Plus a cooler full of drinks. I haven't carried a cooler in a while, but always have food in the truck.

I've contemplated getting one of their spectrum analyzers. I'd LOVE to see a way to interface it with FreqFinder app and get automated intermod/frequency coordination. But I've seen a rumor that the 822 will eventually be able to interface with Lectrosonics Wireless Designer, but that's not a super portable/convenient system for someone like me, unless they create a version that will run on an iPad or iPhone(heard it can run on windows tablets, though).

Comment

And a little mod I did to mine: I put some super thin felt tape over the ribbed rubber inside the "hooks" so that it is easier to rotate the boom on the axis of the pole, if you need to tweak it slightly. Obviously you will lose some of the gripping power if it's at a more extreme angle, but not much of an issue if it's fairly horizontal/parallel to the ground.
            Thanks, I'll check that out once it arrives.

I've been using the classic fishing rod holder with a lightweight Matthews mini grip head. The grip head is very small and lightweight (thermoplastic), but the rod holder is big and awkward shaped in the bag. Boom Buddy seems like it will get size and weight down really nicely while also reducing things to one part vs two. On first glance in the pictures, that pin receiver with tightening knob doesn't inspire a ton of confidence, but if you and others are getting solid results in the field, that's more than good enough for me.

Comment

I made my own Boom Buddy out of aluminum and used moleskin for the same purpose.
              Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F View Post

I made my own Boom Buddy out of aluminum and used moleskin for the same purpose.
                I was thinking about thin moleskin, but I couldn’t find any in black.

Comment

As I recall, Trew Audio sells sheets or black moleskin. I would think it would be available through Amazon as well.

Comment

Moleskin
                    Ya, Trew Audio, Gotham Sound, Filmtools, and the rest have black moleskin. I've tried some generic moleskins and found them not sticky enough, not dense enough, etc. There are probably good third-party brands, but I'm fine paying a little extra to my audio dealers to get stuff that works. Such as URSA Tape strips...Several colors, a couple sizes, avail at the usual places
                    https://ursastraps.com/product/ursa-tape/

Boom holders
                    I have a Boom Buddy, but it wasn't working for me. Either user error, or my K-Tek poles are too thick, or just stubbornness on my part. I also have a Remote Audio holder, which is like a fishing-poll holder, but strikes me as better made (and treadless)...at least, it's stood up to the abuse I give it. And I've used Cardellini clamps in a pinch. But my main holder is a Boom Mate. Simple, reliable, etc. https://www.trewaudio.com/product/boom-mate/

----------
                    Jim Feeley
                    POV Media

Comment

I’ll have to look again. Thanks guys.

Jim, are you running a new K-Tek pole. Their diameter is much larger than the older poles. I don’t have any issue with my 102CCR on the largest section.
                      Last edited by Run&Gun; 09-21-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Nah, my K-Tek poles are all older; I'd guess like the current "Klassic" line. I've rebuilt them a couple times because of excessive days in wind, dust, and sand, but they're still working. BTW- nice to hear their newer poles have bigger diameters. Mine K-Tek's are fine (esp compared to the old narrow LTMs), but I'd like something bigger... Like the old VdB poles (IIRC...some older brand like that).

I'll have to dig out my old Boom Buddy and think about what didn't click with me. Cool that it's working for other people.
                        ----------
                        Jim Feeley
                        POV Media

Comment

I briefly played with the new version("Mighty Boom") of my pole at Trew back at the beginning of the year when I was in Nashville on a shoot. It's a BEAST. With no mic or suspension, it felt as heavy as my old Klassic with suspension, mic and windscreen. I brought it in and laid them side-by-side.

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

Comment

I looked at the Mighty at Trew. It's too much beast for me.

Here's a couple pictures of my Aluminum Buddy. Beige moleskin gets dirty looking quickly. It packs small.

20210921_153427.jpg
                            Attached Files
                            Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

If you told me that was the prototype for the Boom Buddy, I would completely believe you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F View Post
                                I looked at the Mighty at Trew. It's too much beast for me.

Here's a couple pictures of my Aluminum Buddy. Beige moleskin gets dirty looking quickly. It packs small.
                                Ugly but cool!

I've wanted, and I probably still want, a K-Tek Boom Cradle. $150US, probably won't easily fit the new K-Tek poles (thanks for the pix R&G), but might make me wig out a bit less when I need to REALLY extend a carbon pole for some oddball interview setup.

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/boom-cradle

boomcradle.png

----------
                                Jim Feeley
                                POV Media

Comment

Working...
                                X