No announcement yet.

Tentacle E Recorder - $349

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ME-2 is a serviceable but ordinary mic. When I first emailed Tentacle about the E recorder's specs they said it included an MKE2 equivalent mic. I was doubtful then and now I know it's not true (especially since the MKE2 is $300 plus by itself)...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
      The ME-2 is a serviceable but ordinary mic. When I first emailed Tentacle about the E recorder's specs they said it included an MKE2 equivalent mic. I was doubtful then and now I know it's not true (especially since the MKE2 is $300 plus by itself)...
      Yeah. The MKE2 is more than a Sanken COS-11. B&H lists the Sennheiser at $399. That's not a toss-in on a $350 recorder. Lol

Comment

Well, it'd be interesting to hear some reviews from serious audio folks about the recorder (and the mic). Doesn't seem like a lot out there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by junct View Post
          Well, it'd be interesting to hear some reviews from serious audio folks about the recorder (and the mic). Doesn't seem like a lot out there yet.
          Found this one the other month. He at least seems to be an actual working, dedicated audio-op.
          https://wavreport.com/2020/11/12/rev...tacle-track-e/

Erik at NewsShooter also did a review last year:
          https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/11/...corder-review/

And Matt did a Zoom F2 review that pitted the two recorders head-to-head.
          https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/01/14/zoom-f2-review/

There are also numerous reviews on YouTube from the usual suspects, depending on how much stock you place in their opinions.

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't seen the head-to-head with the f2. The f2 might be a better set of recorders for me - I've never used a timecode system. I see the benefit, but it's a lot more expensive and I'd need to get a sync e for my camera to really see the benefit of spending more. I also like that the Zoom f2 is less app reliant (it's a digression, I stopped using a smartphone last year, and have enjoyed not needing one).

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't seen the head-to-head with the f2. The f2 might be a better set of recorders for me - I've never used a timecode system. I see the benefit, but it's a lot more expensive and I'd need to get a sync e for my camera to really see the benefit of spending more. I also like that the Zoom f2 is less app reliant (it's a digression, I stopped using a smartphone last year, and have enjoyed not needing one).
              No that it matters but after owning three Tentacle Sync Es for two years now and several Zoom products over the years, IMHO, you get what you pay for. I would buy the Tentacle over the Zoom if I needed one of these.
              It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
              G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Yeah I haven't used much zoom stuff before (the h6 was surprisingly pleasant on a recent shoot and subverted my expectations), but I have read that the difference in build quality is quite significant.

Comment

Yeah I haven't used much zoom stuff before (the h6 was surprisingly pleasant on a recent shoot and subverted my expectations), but I have read that the difference in build quality is quite significant.
                  Some of the reviews on the F2 have mentioned issues with the mic connection. Might be worth investigating... BTW Tentacle tipped me that Trew Audio has a few E recorder units available now: https://www.trewaudio.com/product/te...-sync-track-e/

Comment

Is there likely to be any issue using a lectro ta5f to TRS adapter cable with a lapel into the recorder?

I want a second mic to match my current (mke2-ew) lapel, someone selling one locally and has an adapter for it. Dealing with an adapter isn't particularly appealing, but the price is good.

Comment

Is there likely to be any issue using a lectro ta5f to TRS adapter cable with a lapel into the recorder?

I want a second mic to match my current (mke2-ew) lapel, someone selling one locally and has an adapter for it. Dealing with an adapter isn't particularly appealing, but the price is good.
                      Nope, as long as it’s wired properly. Well, besides having to deal with an adapter... I had Remote Audio build me four adapter cables(have 4 Track E’s) for my servo bias wired Sanken COS-11’s. And my Tram’s and Countryman B6’s work with them, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post

Nope, as long as it’s wired properly. Well, besides having to deal with an adapter... I had Remote Audio build me four adapter cables(have 4 Track E’s) for my servo bias wired Sanken COS-11’s. And my Tram’s and Countryman B6’s work with them, as well.
                        Grand so. Think since I'm buying a unit, instead of already owning, I think I'll just aim to get TRS wired mics - the added complexity doesn't seem worth saving a few bucks, the more I think about it.

Comment

Grand so. Think since I'm buying a unit, instead of already owning, I think I'll just aim to get TRS wired mics - the added complexity doesn't seem worth saving a few bucks, the more I think about it.
                          Do you already own any wireless gear or plan on buying any in the future?

In my case, I own a LOT of Lectrosonics wireless, so all of my lavs are wired for my Lectro's(TA5F). Then I have adapters for them for other uses, including using them hard wired(standard XLR)(Ambient makes some great compact adapters in many connection types) and with the Track E's(I can split them simultaneously into an E and a Lectro belt pack and also run them singularly into an E).

So, I'd look at both efficiency for the primary use and flexibility, both today and in the future.

Comment

Yeah, good point re: future flexibility.

I don't own other wireless gear. I'm an occasional solo shooter, hence the track E's appealing (was using Tascam DR10s until recently) with entry level sound kit. On jobs that are serious or complicated enough to warrant better sound gear, I hire a location sound recordist - normally they have better kit than me - though the Track E's will make a nice addition as back up recorders when working with sound recordists. Generally the sound recordists I've worked with have used better (or preferred) lavs to the Sennheiser Mke2-ews I have.

Comment

Working...
                            X