Zoom H4 no longer powers on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom H4 no longer powers on

Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot my Zoom H4 recorder? It no longer turn on despite putting new battery in.

make sure the battery is in the right way. Try powering from external power, I think you can power it from the USB cable.

After that? Might be RIP.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

“It ain’t ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, it’s the things that people know that ain’t so”

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Comment

I lost the power cord. I may have to try the USB cable and see if that works. The batteries are in the correct position. I've read somewhere that the H4 needs specific type of AA batteries but not what the details are.

Comment

"I've read somewhere that the H4 needs specific type of AA batteries but not what the details are."
        - It 'should' power-up with any good AA batteries. Though the battery bar (meter) may not be accurate with rechargeables.... which are typically 1.2 volts, whereas a standard non-rechargeable AA is 1.5 volt (when new).

Comment

Definitely try it with the USB cable. If the H4's power switch is set to OFF, then the USB will supply power to the unit. See if that works. If not, there is a strong likelihood that the H4 is dead. But if it DOES power on from USB, then there is hope.

Several things could cause this.

First, the new batteries could be bad. It happens. Try others.

Next, open the battery compartment and look at the condition of the contacts on the top -- on the inside of the hinged cover. Is there corrosion or damage? Do they look dull or discolored? If so, try applying some contact cleaner -- sparingly -- on them. Next, look at the spring contacts in the bottom of the battery chambers. Are they broken, bent, or otherwise damaged? If so, they may need to be replaced. Check them also for corrosion, dullness or discoloration. If you need to clean them, don't spray contact cleaner into the battery compartment. Instead, use a long-handled cotton swab. Spray the cleaner on the swab, then swab the contacts.

If the batteries are known-good (and not rechargeables) and the contacts are clean and undamaged, the next thing to consider is the plug for the AC adapter. It's possible that if, for some reason, the connectors on the plug are making contact with each other, that could disable the battery portion of the circuit, since the H4 would think it's meant to be running off AC. Kind of a long shot, but worth looking at.

I know you said the batteries were in the right way, but double-check. Looking at it from the back of the H4, with the hinged cover open, the battery on the LEFT should have the (+) post visible at the top. The battery on the RIGHT should be inserted the opposite direction from the battery on the LEFT. Not implying you don't know how to put batteries in correctly, just trying to be thorough.

Here's a few more long shots:
          - Remove the batteries and turn the power switch to ON. Leave it a few seconds, turn it back off. Put the batteries back in, and see if it powers up.
          - With the batteries in, check to see if there is some springy 'play' in the top hinge cover. There should be. If not, then the batteries may not be making contact with the top contacts.
          - If there is an SD card in the H4, remove it. See if it powers up without the card. Can't think of any reason why that would be a problem, but test it anyway.

If all of that fails, you have only one other option -- get another AC adapter and see if it will work on AC. If it doesn't, and if it didn't power up from USB, then the H4 probably needs repair.
          Last edited by David W. Richardson; 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM.
          David W. Richardson
          Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
          Chapel Grove Films
          Celtic Cross Films
          Bliss Video Productions
          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Comment

Thank you so much for the thoroughness of your reply. I will definitely go through them tonight.

Comment

Rick, I did put in two new double AA Duracell batteries in and it's not power on. Thanks though.

Comment

Thanks, you guys. I got my Zoom H4 to work again. I put in a different set of batteries plus taking out the SD card and it worked. I put the SD back in and it would not recognized it. I delete everything in the SD and put it back in and no complaints thus far.

Comment

Great news! Congrats!
                  David W. Richardson
                  Chapel Grove Films
                  Celtic Cross Films
                  Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Sounds like maybe the SD card went bad in some way that kept the H4 from powering up. Strange, but not inconceivable. I figured out with my H4 that when I change settings for the mic and such, those settings were stored on the SD card that was in the H4 at the time. If I put a different SD card in, the settings changed. So I guess the H4 reads the card when starting up. A damaged card apparently can keep the H4 from powering up. Very interesting!
                    David W. Richardson
                    Chapel Grove Films
                    Celtic Cross Films
                    Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Working...
                    X