Anyone ever try these bluetooth mics from sony and canon?

Very interesting looking.

I saw in the "questions answered" section for the Sony model that someone said you can plug a LAV mic into the top of the Sony transmitter.
That would make this thing WAY more useful:

"It works great with a lav mic. I purchased 2 Sony ECMAW4s and 2 AZDEN EX503 Omni-Directional Lavaliere Microphones. I have been using them with great success for 6 months on a talk show we produce. For one mic shoots- The Sony ECMAW4 is extremely light weight. The talent is able to take the mic off and on quickly and can just drop it down in a tucked shirt if needed. I clip the receiver to the camera grip handle (so there was no need to buy an extra piece of equipment right off for the receiver). We have had great quality sound. No complaints. We have had staff, untrained in video production, take it in the field and mic talent quickly and easily. Just make sure you have the lav inserted at the top of the transmitter (red input) and the receiver has the 1/8" coming out of the side (aka the headphone output). For 2 mic shoots- I use a Beachtek MCC-2 2-Channel Audio Adapter when using 2 Sony ECMAW4's together (Though it may be just as easy to have 2 XLR to 1/8" cables, I purchased the Beachtek for the Vixia, before we had the XF100)."

Shorter battery life and much shorter transmission range that a traditional wireless set - but a ton cheaper.

I'm going to try to see what else I can find too. Oh hell, maybe just get the Sony set and give it a try. See if my good LAVs will fly on this thing.

Last edited:
Yea i should have mentioned that: the mic pack has a mic in it, but also a 3.5mm port for other lav mics, the receiver pack also has a headphone port. really a neat set, but i've never ran into any videogs using them, and of course no soundie would use such a set but i'm tempted to try one out. Just imagine how many women's busts this might squeeze into :)

Hey Darren,

Stick a LAV mic on it and let's hear how THAT works!

I like this gizmo - but I'm not really interested in its mic.

Done deal.

Thanks Darren!

Nice test (as usual).

FOR THE PRICE and convenience factor these things appear to be a winner.

The Sony mic itself sounds pretty decent - I suppose in any application where one can avoid handling noise it's going to be great.

Some people said that this system fails as soon as you break line-of-sight...clearly this is NOT TRUE.

Ordering one now...

What are the latency figures?

Bluetooth latency is normally quite high and you would need to be very careful if you also use analogue mics.

What are the latency figures?

Bluetooth latency is normally quite high and you would need to be very careful if you also use analogue mics.

just watch my video and focus on my lips. Whatever latency there may be, i would gather it to be less than a frame.

even though two devices can say they are the same version and profile of BT, there's still quality differences between devices, and its looking to me that this set is high quality and even though when we look at it as cheap compared to other wireless mics, when compared to plain old bluetooth dongles, it's very expensive. What i want to test at some point is walking through a crowded area like a convention.

Back