Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

music?

sorry i new to the whole making your own movie scene
    and i dont really know where im supposed to put this but ive got a question about music
    when you use music in a short movie or maybe even a long premiere type one
    is there a license or anything you need to be able to use music
    or do you just have to have the description of the song in the rolling credits
    if you need a license can you tell me how to get one
    because i remember making a video for health project a few years ago on youtube
    and now it says audio was deleted because of copyright or something

Yes. You need licenses from both the owners of the work and the performer, if they are different people, unless the work is in the public domain or given freely for the use you described. There are songs available for free, but your selection will be limited. Licensing is expensive and can be very difficult to do. You're better off finding free music, either from an established site for that purpose or a local unsigned band... one that wouldn't mind their work getting out there by whatever means.

Comment

Yes, you need a license.

Do a search here and use words like "music", "license" and "copyright". You'll find plenty of posts dealing with the subject in detail.
      David W. Richardson
      Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
      Chapel Grove Films
      Celtic Cross Films
      Bliss Video Productions
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Comment

To big a topic to go into, but you MUST obtain performance rights and mechanical rights for any music you wish to use that is not in the public domain. Performance Rights pertain to the composers of the material, Mechanical Rights pertain to the actual recorded version of the song(s). 99% of the time you won't even be able to afford the attorneys fees, much less the licensing fees.

Your best bet is to find indie bands/performers looking for exposure; almost all of them will sign a Festival Use agreement, and very few will contest the low compensation if you manage to get distribution. After all, you can always find another song.
        Filmmaking is the art of being invisible; if anyone notices your work you haven't done your job right.

Peace,

Bob
        alcoveaudio.com

Comment

can anyone tell me where i can get these agreements and legal document stuff
          or anysites where they give free music
          ps thanks for all the feedback
          do i also need it if the songs from another country
          Last edited by smjx824; 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smjx824 View Post
            can anyone tell me where i can get these agreements and legal document stuff
            or anysites where they give free music
            ps thanks for all the feedback
            do i also need it if the songs from another country
            Yes, you do need licenses for ALL copyrighted work that you use, regardless of the country it comes from. Copyright is governed by international treaty and all but one or two countries in the world are signatories.

You need synchronization rights from the owners of the copyright to the words and music. That comes from the composers, authors, and publishers. In order to use a particular recording of the music, you also need master use rights from the record label that owns the copyright to the specific recording.

You can find out who owns the copyright to the music by searching through several online databases. A good start is the ASCAP database. As to the copyright to a particular recording, for a started get the CD and look on the label for the copyright notice.

Depending on your budget you might be better off using a music clearance agency - a google on that term will turn up a number to check out.
            Last edited by Steve House; 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclebob6958 View Post
              To big a topic to go into, but you MUST obtain performance rights and mechanical rights for any music you wish to use that is not in the public domain. Performance Rights pertain to the composers of the material, Mechanical Rights pertain to the actual recorded version of the song(s). 99% of the time you won't even be able to afford the attorneys fees, much less the licensing fees.

Your best bet is to find indie bands/performers looking for exposure; almost all of them will sign a Festival Use agreement, and very few will contest the low compensation if you manage to get distribution. After all, you can always find another song.
              FYI - it's not performance and mechanical licences he needs. Those are for recording music and selling the recordings or playing it in public as a musical work. A performance license is for a public performance such as playing the song in a club or broadcast airplay. Mechancals are for reproducing copys of a song as a phonorecording, ie, distributing a cover of the song on a CD your band has recorded. What a filmmaker needs is a sync license to allow him to place the song alongside the video images and a master-use license for the recording he uses if he doesn't want to record a new performance of it. If our OP gets the sync and master licenses to use a song and his video is subsequently broadcast on TV, he'll prepare a cue sheet so the broadcaster knows what music is used when. Then the broadcaster handles the performance rights to that specific showing of the video, usually through their ASCAP blanket license.

Comment

oh one more question
                is licences needed even when making videos for fun and have no intention in making money out of it
                and just to make sure you need the licenses for like film festivals and stuff right?

Comment

You need a license whether you intend to profit from the work or not. Whether the copyright holder will choose to enforce their rights is another matter.

And yes, if you're planning on submitting to festivals or to sell your work to distributors you're gonna need to clear all the music used within the film.
                  "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

Comment

Just as a point of interest, do not believe anyone who tells you there is a way to get around copyright laws. I have heard many myths (none of them here) about how you can get away using using music without permission, like if it's under a certain length or if you only make $X.xx with it. They are all wrong. Always assume you need permission for any reason.
                    “If you have to fix it with a computer, quantize-piss-correct it, and overly inspect it, then you can’t do it.”

-Henry Rollins

Comment

Working...
                    X