Restriction on showing artwork in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restriction on showing artwork in film

Dunno if this is the right place to post - but quick legal question.

Is it legal to have a reproduction of say a Van Gogh in a movie (feature or short)???

Before I introduce it into my script as a main element, I want to know if I will hurt my chances of showing the film or distributing it while including non liscensed artwork in the film itself. It's part of the story and not just a thing in the background.

I am sure the answer is that I need permission - just didn't know if it was public domain or not.

Thanks

The answer is: is it public domain or not?

Any artwork that is subject to copyright, whether a painting or a photograph or even the pattern of fabric on a couch(!) would need permission from the copyright holder to be reproduced in your video, unless the painting or photo or t-shirt design or whatever it is has fallen into the public domain.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

I guess that's what I figured - however, somethings are in the public domain and still have some rights management based on the particular source of the image.

I appreciate the help, Barry. You know better than I.

Comment

Talked to my contact at Getty Images - there are specific film liscences for artwork mentioned above. Albeit not too expensive based on particular usage. Just FYI.

Comment

Working...
        X