any theatre directors out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any theatre directors out there?

So I'm directing a play next month. I need to get some set design specs to the stage manager for spiking. I hear there's some online set design generators out there, but not sure where to find them. You guys heard of this? Just something simple I can put a small set design onto a page with some minor visuals, then give her the link, or send by jpeg/pdf. Let me know if you've seen this or something similar.

Thanks.

There's 3D Studio VIZ, frame forge, AutoCAD, Maya, anything like that... but for a simple thing, I'de use Adobe Illustrator. I worked in theater for years, they mainly used CAD... but the directors job isn't really spiking or worrying about spiking, that's typically up to the stage manager to spot while you are blocking during rehearsal. It's not a movie, you don't give the crew storyboards and a shotlist before hand.
    -----
    stephanfleet.com

Comment

Right. But in some community theatre such as this, the SM requests the set design from the director, so he/she can take care of spiking. maybe I was unclear. Thanks for the programs advice, I'll check them out.

Comment

I started directing theater before film and I always used to use graph paper, a ruler, and a pencil for set design.

Guess I'm not very high tech.

Chris
        NJ Film School | Off Stage Films | Movie Poet

Comment

No, your right, that would have been my preference, but I need to send this via online, that's why I'm asking really...

Comment

Do it the low tech way and then either scan it or take a high res jpg digital photo of it, and email the digital file?
            Lighting Camera Operator/DOP
            London, UK.

Comment

Draw it by hand, then use this:

http://www.sketchup.com/
              www.Frame-Dragging.com

Comment

Working...
              X