Directing Extras in a Restaurant Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directing Extras in a Restaurant Scene

My scene takes place in a restaurant, with my two leads having dinner at a table in the foreground. Behind them, at the background tables will be my extras (four of them).

I will obviously just have them mimic talking and I will add a background sound layer in post. Also, I imagine they should keep their movements to a minimum.

Any other hints or suggestions on working with extras?

Thanks,

Chris
    NJ Film School | Off Stage Films | Movie Poet

I would have them discuss anything of interest to them and make sure they pay no attention to the camera or main characters. (I'm assuming they aren't supposed to react to your main characters) Have them talk to each other about their daily lives.

Comment

i like to give them an objective to play, without speaking, to set the tone of their faux conversation. first i have to decide if that tone should contrast the conversation of the main characters, or mirror it. but the most important thing, as you know, is to "edit" their performance. extras tend to exaggerate their body language when they can't use their voice. and while you have them, i would also record a minute or so of their actual background conversation to use as walla during post.
      Last edited by Zak Forsman; 04-03-2006, 07:16 PM.
      See my movie DOWN AND DANGEROUS on iTunes!
      YOUTUBE :: INSTAGRAM :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB

Comment

If you have the luxury, that task could be left to your A.D. It's overwhelming to have to keep an eye on the background action when you should be concentrating on the principals. If not, I would spend some time making it clear to them what exactly you're looking for before you begin so that they can go on autopilot and repeat their gestures as much as possible from take to take so you can forget about them. Do a rehearsal just for background before you roll to make sure everything's cool.
        Gordon
        GDotCom

Comment

It does help if your extras feel comfortable with each other, or have had the opportunity to get to know one another beforehand, so that they won't appear contrived and probably make the mistake of looking towards the camera.

Throw them an interesting topic, or have them actually eat(to cut down on the speech emphasis)

and yeah, recording some of their conversation is better than having the extras attempting to "talk" without sound.

my two cents

Comment

Teach them how to 'act' as extras.

1. Stay silent.
            2. Don't talk with your hands.
            3. Don't nod 'Yes' constantly.
            4. Don't look at the camera.
            5. Don't look at the actors unless directed to.

Hehe... I did 3 months of fulltime work as an extra when we moved to LA ;)
            "Look, I hate Los Angeles, like everybody else.. but I have to work here because
            in any other part of the country I'm unemployable..." - Matt, Studio 60.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Our extras were excellent and your suggestions were all very helpful.

Chris
              NJ Film School | Off Stage Films | Movie Poet

Comment

Ha Great Post You discribed one of my scenes coming up at the end of the week, Definalty using the advice from this post thanks
                NatDizzle - AG-DVX100B Owner

Comment

6am headed to the resturaunt to shoot my scene....heyoooooo
                  NatDizzle - AG-DVX100B Owner

Comment

Just remember they are background, keep everything small.
                    One thing I still use from my holiday rep days is keep EVERYONE informed, (via you A.D.'s/ Runners), extras can get bored, if people know they have to wait for another three hours while your DP's doing whatever, they can adjust to it.
                    People will put up with almost anything if you keep them in the loop.

Use your extras to highlight your characters feelings...
                    If your characters depressed show them having a great time...ect..ect..

J

Comment

Working...
                    X