Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I have this project be in a foreign language in this case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Josh Bass View Post
    I think he said or implied Vietnamese.
    Ah. Missed that, but I just scrubbed back through the thread and found it.

So, Ryan... do you, or the producer, speak Vietnamese?
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

I had to skim back through the thread myself. Now that I've re read it. I don't entirely follow what's going on. Seems unorthodox to say the least. Is the guy who's hiring him the one being interviewed, or the one who's narrating? Seems like the narrator has a heavy accent not the person being interviewed. Sounds confusing. All of this isn't a paid gig, but rather a trade for favors... I'm absolving myself from this thread. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. The guy who hired me is seperate from the guy being interviewed, who is also narrating. The producer hired me and this project was his and the narrator's idea.

And no, I and the producer don't speak Vietnamese so the narrator would have to translate it for me and I would subtitle it, if we were to do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JimS2 View Post
          And no, I and the producer don't speak Vietnamese so the narrator would have to translate it for me and I would subtitle it, if we were to do it that way.
          So, how would you expect to conduct the interviews in Vietnamese without a translator? I mean, you could have him answer every question twice - once in English to recap what he said in Vietnamese - but that takes quite a bit of time and really interrupts the flow of the interview. Plus, how would you expect to edit the interview accurately without him sitting through the entire process?

Reading back through the thread, you have a few things going on here:

You’ve been hired by a producer who is also making directorial decisions, even though he calls you the director. Hard to know who’s really in charge of what, so you need to talk to him about your concerns.

You have a second producer who is also the subject of the documentary and who struggles a little with English as a second language. As nobody else on the project can serve as a translator, your best bet is to continue on as you are and simply add subtitles in post to aid the viewer in understanding what’s being said.

And you’ve been provided some additional footage that’s shot as vertical video. The guy who hired you expects you to use it. Again, who’s really in charge of what? Talk to him about it. And really, while vertical video is a PITA to work with, you need to figure out if the quality or relevance of that content outweigh the technical flaw. It is a documentary, after all.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

Well he has a whole script written out of the answers to the questions, so as long as we stick to the script then I can translate all the answers myself from it. But that was just my idea. Plus I also having trouble editing the footage to what he is saying, because I do not understand about 30% of what he is saying in English, so I thought this would be better.

Comment

Well he has a whole script written out of the answers to the questions, so as long as we stick to the script then I can translate all the answers myself from it.
              But... HOW?! You don’t speak Vietnamese. How would you know on which Vietnamese words to make your cuts? Because he probably won’t stick to the script verbatim, and chances are that you’re going to have to make some edits.

You have a thread on another forum titled “Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking?”... and it is now at 28 pages. There’s your answer right there.

And this is another example. You want to put yourself into an impossible situation in order to try and avoid a difficult one? Dude... keep going in English, and if you need help understanding some things in post, bring him in. Or bring in the producer, who seems to know him well, to help clarify things.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

He started this thread 1.5 months ago and the interview hasn't been filmed, edited or produced. Still planning?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. We shot the interview now, I want to do more, but I am wondering if I should redo what was shot, in Vietnamese, along with the rest now.

And yes I would have to tell him to stick to the script verbatim, for it to work. But if that's too much, I will just keep going in English then.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. We shot the interview now, I want to do more, but I am wondering if I should redo what was shot, in Vietnamese, along with the rest now.
                    No.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

Working...
                    X