directing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

directing question

When you're directing someone and are doing a bunch of angles, and the actors just aren't doing it the way you want in the wide takes, but then you figure out later, when you're in close-ups, the direction to give them to have them do it the way you want, and that new performance is quite different from the earlier performance, are you screwed? Because when you cut it later, you're not going to be able to cut from the wide to the close since those performances are so different.

This question comes about because I'm watching Stealth (yes, insert joke here) and Rob Cohen is shooting this one dialogue scene from like 50 different angles, and this actor's performance is just spot on matching from every single angle, and I'm thinking "that **** has got to be hard."

i guess what i'm asking is, once your'e on the set, do seasoned directors use the wide take as their template, and not stray from it from then on, so that all the perfromances match? Or, if they figure something new out halfway through the coverage, do they change it anyway, hoping to figure it out in editing? Or do they go back and do the wide takes again, with the new performance?

If the whole performance is different, then I don't see much way around it, but if parts of it match then you just cut on the matching parts (make sense?).

Comment

Does the scene even call for a master?
      Movies, Music

"I thought you had to go to Pittsburgh for that."

Comment

I had to deal with this a bit on my short. And I knew going in that it would be a concern so when I auditioned the actors, I tested them on this (among other things). It paid off.

Comment

Gen, let's just assume that the scene calls for a lot of angles.

yaq, how did you test them?

Comment

After they had suffient time to read the sides they were given, we discussed their interpretation of the character. Once we had an agreed upon approach, they played the scene that I told them to play. If they were able to repeat the performance (I did an average of 5 repeats with each one) and the level of performance was to my liking, they got on the short list.

Comment

Originally posted by c.g._eads
              Gen, let's just assume that the scene calls for a lot of angles.

yaq, how did you test them?
              If you have lots of angles I think it's assumed that you won't stay on the master very much. You'd be amazed how different the master can be from the inserts and no one will notice.

As a rule pro actors will deliver the close stuff different just because of the read-ability of the distance. What reads in the wide, reads too big in the close. I tend to use masters to maybe set geography and then that's it.

You have nailed one of the biggest issues with using non pro talent (not meant as a dig) but that there is so much technical associated with acting.

I never worry so much about looking for a non-actor to be able to replicate the same thing over and over. I look for someone who can do it as small as possible, that's the hardest part of acting. less, less, and then even less. Non-actors don't realize what will read, or how small something can be and still read.

Good luck

Cheers,
              Chris

Comment

I guess I can offer a specific instance here as well. As an example:

Actor is reading a book and another actor is seated to their left. In the first part of the conversation, the actor that is reading does not look up. When he does look up, the actor emotes some frustration. With the actor that I cast, he gave a small sigh and cleared his throat before turning to the other actor to speak.

Once they turn their head, the shot changes from that master 2 shot to OTS shots. So the actor that I cast was very consistant in their pacing of the scene as well as the use of the sigh and their clearing of their throat. And these were specific performance elements that I was paying attention to once I understood how they wanted to play the scene.

Other actors had different takes on this but again, the little things that they would do - body language and pacing were payed close attention to so that I could ensure I was getting consistant repeatable performances.

Comment

You usually use a wide as the establishing shot, most don't cut back unless you want to distance the action between characters or add new eliments once setup. You should try and keep the action the same throughout otherwise causing headache for editors. I'm writing something on the matter for the directing section...will post soon.
                  J.P.

Comment

I would just like to second a point made above, that there is a whole hell of a lot you can get away with when you punch into the singles. If you've cut it, shown it to someone who is not insanely film savvy, and they don't notice it, I would freak too much. If you're really a perfectionist, just keep shooting until they do what you want. If you can't cause your producer is breathing down your neck, just get some solid B-Roll so you can cut around your actors straying from their performance. Good luck!
                    Justin Talley
                    Director of Photography
                    FS100 - 7D - 5DMkII - 16 BolexPro - Bell & Howell Filmo - HVX200
                    Nikon AIS Primes, Tokina 11-16 Zoom, Redrock, Zacuto, Genus and the rest
                    profnoxin@gmail.com
                    www.jtalleydp.com

Comment

If you can afford it, get a good script supervisor/continuity person. This one person could save directors and editors more headaches than just about anyone else on the set! (I beleive this to the point that I give continuity "cut" rights on the set to a certain degree.)
                      Be nice to all the Underlings...Someday they may be In Charge!
                      http://www.isara.com/

Comment

Good point Moonwind.

Comment

If you don't have tons of cameras like John Woo to shoot all the angles at the same time, and if the actors do not deliver the same performance on each take, think about shooting cutaway shots when you're on the set. If the actors are too different between shots then use a cutaways.
                          - Viz
                          www.vizpictures.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Knock Out Films]If you have lots of angles I think it's assumed that you won't stay on the master very much. You'd be amazed how different the master can be from the inserts and no one will notice.

As a rule pro actors will deliver the close stuff different just because of the read-ability of the distance. What reads in the wide, reads too big in the close. I tend to use masters to maybe set geography and then that's it.

You have nailed one of the biggest issues with using non pro talent (not meant as a dig) but that there is so much technical associated with acting.

I never worry so much about looking for a non-actor to be able to replicate the same thing over and over. I look for someone who can do it as small as possible, that's the hardest part of acting. less, less, and then even less. Non-actors don't realize what will read, or how small something can be and still read.

Good luck, CHRIS QUOTE....WELL SAID ,I TOTALLY AGREE K.O. THATS WHAT I TRY TO DO EVERY TIME AS AN ACTOR AND TRY TO CONVEY IT TO THE OTHER ACTORS WITHOUT BEING A KNOW IT ALL..ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE MESSING WITH MY PROFORMANCE
                            when you sit yourself to think on the throne you are the king but never the less you are like us and soon the bathroom will stink

Comment

I don't think I explained myself very well. I'm not concerned with continuity in movements, I'm concerned with continuity in performance tone. If your actors give one kind of performance (aka very angry) through the first 3 angles, then either you realize or they figure out, a better performance, which they then use for the final 3 angles (aka "happier"). Now as a director, you know later on that you *will* need those first 3 angles when editing. So what do you do? do you go back and shoot those first 3 angles, cut around what you already have, or piss yourself?

I know that directors like to have their actors "try it this way" or "try it that way" when they're shooting. I just don't understand how they can be doing all this experimenting through different angles, since the performance will be all over the place. Or do they know that ahead of time and do something like

ANGLE 1 - TAKE 1 - MAD, TAKE 2 - NEUTRAL, TAKE 3 - HAPPY
                              ANGLE 2 - TAKE 1 - MAD, TAKE 2 - NEUTRAL, TAKE 3 - HAPPY

... so they have all three options on every angle when they edit later? Or do they plan the general performance ahead of time, and then do very slight deviations on-set?

I'm just thinking how much that must suck, as an actor, if you're already into the 4th angle of a particular scene, and you figure out a way to play it way better, you can't, because you've, essentially, locked yourself into a performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X