Problems on set. Somebody please tell me if it's normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems on set. Somebody please tell me if it's normal

I just recently got done shooting a 40 min film. This is the longest that i have ever done, and I also had the most problems during this one. Problems that ranged from actors going out of town without notice during shooting, to the buffet table being tipped over by clumsy crew on an outdoor location. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

I was the clumsy grip that tipped over the table.
    Sorry general

BTW, any pick up days?
    ....so there I am the first day on the set, and there's a guy fukng me from behind, and there's these two huge guys dressed like cops in my mouth at the same time, and I remember thinking to myself..I like acting, I wanna study~Mighty Aphrodite

Comment

A show is a living, breathing thing. Your experience sounds like nothing out of the ordinary. You can chalk it up to skill, luck and the grace of God that you're done and nobody died.

Every show has its challenges and they all end eventually.

e
      Erik Olson

Comment

Curious questions, was your actor working for free? Chances are that's why they weren't as committed to the project as you were.

Rob

Comment

Everyone was working for free. I guess that there are those that act for money, and those that act for experiance and fun.

Comment

Hey, if those were the only problems, you are a lucky guy!
            http://www.mikemarriage.com

Comment

LOL. Perfectly normal--directing is an excercise in constant problem solving. Your backpocket should be stuffed with Plan B, because things large and small will go awry.

Comment

Is that all that happened. Wow, you lucked out and sounds like a great shoot. Every heard of an Irishman named Murphy? He's got a law named after him and in filmmaking, it is in effect 24/7. If something can go wrong, it will. Just be as prepared as possible (always have a plan B) and learn to go with the flow. Also, keep up your sense of humor.

Some of Murphy's antics on projects I've worked on include:

PA's digging a large hole in the ground, that an actor had to jump into, dug right into a buried horse, a decaying buried horse. Because of time constraints, had to use the hole. Most of the crew almost puked from the smell.

2nd AC, responsible for bring raw stock to location, left raw stock back at office (over 50 miles away).

Camera operator forgot his glasses. Whole days shoot was very soft.

Forty percent of camera original was scratched at the lab.

PA walked through a door-wall (sliding glass door) on the set.

Lead actress got sunburn on day off.

Actor got a hair cut.

Actress has asthma attack in middle of scene.

Wide angle adaptor knocked off front of camera.

Police showed up!!!

Guns malfunction. Guns malfunction. Guns malfunction. Oh, did I mention guns malfunction.

Car load of models, with costumes (for a fashion shoot) were turned back at the border by Canadian customs. Something about work permits, oops.

OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) undercover arrested main male model, who proudly showed them his new penis piercing. (Same shoot as above, not a good day.)

Store front plateglass shatters from heat of light. (That was my bad, I thought it was far enough away, oops.)

Road construction re-routes traffic right by location scouted for its lack of traffic noise.

Plus the run of the meal flat tires, keys locked in cars, cars broke down, people getting lost, actors not knowing lines, "I forgot we were shooting today", "I thought you said nine o'clock", airplanes circleling the location and on and on.

Your experience is not unusual. Get used to it.
                "A film is never any good unless the camera is the eye of a poet."

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."

Comment

General, if that's the worst you get...your actually unlucky

As you work in the business and get around more seasoned professionals, you start hearing the craziest of stories...like Rosestar's. They become war stories, that once you get thru them, they are great fun to regale others with over some drinks,"You think today was bad....".

That being said, 90 percent of productions suffer from Murphy's law. What pisses a lot of us off is the 10 percent that get all the luckiest breaks are the one's with the most boneheaded producers/directors. Some people just fall assbackwards into things, and it's never the nice guy/gal. Despite that, the best you can do is put a lot into pre-production so you can try to be prepared, leave yourself extra time (if it seems it should take an hour, plan for 3), and communicate, comunicate, comunicate. Most issues arise because the exact person that needed to know something didn't.

Also, rent "Man From La Moncha".
                  Fast, Cheap, Good. Pick any two

Comment

I worked with a SFX fellow at ILM who had his team individually hand-carry the Ewok talent into the woods because they couldn't get them in there any other way. Resulted in amazing overtime issues and a run-in with the Teamsters, who claimed "jurisdiction".

I've already told the story of how we jumped a stunt car directly into a city stoplight post on Nash Bridges. The driver was cited by a SFPD cop in front of the entire crew.

Same show, we several times blew shrapnel into our talent with balsa squibs.

Different show, which shall remain nameless, saw our lead actor arrested on-set for aiming a rubber prop gun at a child bystander. Lost another full day because he had an outstanding traffic warrant and the cops didn't like him.

Very, very recently had a PA drive Z1U batteries over thirty miles to my remote location (in the country) after completely forgetting to bring extras. Note to self: 5 hours, 31 minutes on an InfoLithium is without the tape rolling.

These stories are everywhere! Have fun, don't take it too seriously.

e
                    Erik Olson

Comment

Originally posted by Rosestar
                      PA's digging a large hole in the ground, that an actor had to jump into, dug right into a buried horse, a decaying buried horse. Because of time constraints, had to use the hole. Most of the crew almost puked from the smell..

LMFAO! Holy **** that was funny as hell! BUAHAHAHAHA
                      Twitter: jayscorsese

Comment

While you had the dead horse there, did someone at least beat it? I mean, can't let an opportunity like that go to waste, can you?
                        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

those are definately not out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralO'neill
                            actors going out of town without notice during shooting
                            Damn actors... If we didn't need them for our movies I would definitely not use them.

Comment

And that is the problem unfortunately... when people are not being paid your film is not on the top of their priority list... I am working on my first feature and most will be working for free or deferred payment... so I expect hassles...

Comment

Working...
                              X